Author Topic: training tips for 600kms audax events  (Read 49523 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: training tips for 600kms audax events
« Reply #25 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:01:41 pm »
You've already done well by choosing a well attended event with lots of support on the road. Otherwise I'd echo Ian's comment:

Just give it your best shot; if you go at it half-arsed you probably won't succeed.

No need to be gung ho; just focus on enjoying the ride, not on finishing, home, work, whatever.

And whatever you do, don't plan to stop at a mates house for an evening meal just as its starting to get really cold and you've still got a heck of a long way to go before the scheduled sleep break.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:02:41 pm »
so how do people put up with sleep on these 600kms any tips

I was helped by experience as a junior doctor showing me that I could do without a night's sleep.  ;)

Get eough sleep before the event and try to be prepared to be fresh for a 6am start.
Work a time cushion into your schedule.
Learn which strange body positions allow you effective cat-napping.
If you have enough time and a suitable sleeping place is available, use it.
A 400km ride can be more difficult than a 600 in terms of time for a sleep break and circadian rhythms.

« Reply #27 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:07:58 pm »
Well i am feeling a bit apprehensive about the longer events as i have yet to do over 210kms in ay audax event to date and have i chosen to bite off more than i can chew as the longer eevents are early on in the season due to PBP. Thanks for the advice anyway.
The longer events are not really any earlier next year than others. 200s from now to end March. 300 in late April early May. 400 around late May BH, 600 mid to late June, such as the Most Excellent Three Coasts 600 - which was my first 600. only four months after my first 200.  BTW you might find flat routes make your backside hurt more, they do mine so I always avoid flat routes, anyway I am not fast enough to keep up with others on flat rides.

As for practical advice that you asked about, you really need to work it out for yourself because everyone is different. I prefer to ride for 20- 24 hours without sleep so I choose a 600 that permits this. No extra points for being first back, 38 hours is fine, so four or five hours off is acceptable for some sleep mid way. I don't sleep on 400s unless I particularly want to kill time to sit out the darkness for example. Have you ridden on conecutive days before ? I mean long rides ? Try it one weekend. Do 100 miles on Saturday then get up early and go out again on Sunday to see how you feel. Remember whatever you eat on the Saturday is your fuel for the Sunday so you need to finish up the first stage in good shape to allow some decent recovery for the second stage. Eat and drink plenty on the first day. I can't sleep if I am dehydrated.

Don't worry, be sensible, build it up, think about each ride once you've done it and try to learn something.

« Reply #28 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:14:07 pm »
Well i am feeling a bit apprehensive about the longer events as i have yet to do over 210kms in ay audax event to date and have i chosen to bite off more than i can chew as the longer eevents are early on in the season due to PBP. Thanks for the advice anyway.
The longer events are not really any earlier next year than others. 200s from now to end March. 300 in late April early May. 400 around late May BH, 600 mid to late June, such as the Most Excellent Three Coasts 600 - which was my first 600. only four months after my first 200.  BTW you might find flat routes make your backside hurt more, they do mine so I always avoid flat routes, anyway I am not fast enough to keep up with others on flat rides.

As for practical advice that you asked about, you really need to work it out for yourself because everyone is different. I prefer to ride for 20- 24 hours without sleep so I choose a 600 that permits this. No extra points for being first back, 38 hours is fine, so four or five hours off is acceptable for some sleep mid way. I don't sleep on 400s unless I particularly want to kill time to sit out the darkness for example. Have you ridden on conecutive days before ? I mean long rides ? Try it one weekend. Do 100 miles on Saturday then get up early and go out again on Sunday to see how you feel. Remember whatever you eat on the Saturday is your fuel for the Sunday so you need to finish up the first stage in good shape to allow some decent recovery for the second stage. Eat and drink plenty on the first day. I can't sleep if I am dehydrated.

Don't worry, be sensible, build it up, think about each ride once you've done it and try to learn something.
Well i have ridden 2 audax events back to back be them only 150kms each
Climb every mountain, onwards and upwards.
Next event:- ??????

« Reply #29 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:17:33 pm »
Dai if you do this ride so will I.We can compare notes on here.Go on you want to dont you?

« Reply #30 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:18:44 pm »
So you have some idea. Remember though for a multi day 600 you'll do 350-400 on the first day then the rest on the second. So after your 300 think about how you feel. Then think the next day "Could I get up and ride for 10-12 hours now ?" I usually start the second day feel rough as a dog. After a good second breakfast I perk up.

« Reply #31 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:25:52 pm »
So you have some idea. Remember though for a multi day 600 you'll do 350-400 on the first day then the rest on the second. So after your 300 think about how you feel. Then think the next day "Could I get up and ride for 10-12 hours now ?" I usually start the second day feel rough as a dog. After a good second breakfast I perk up.

I don't think it's particularly helpful to think "could I do another <x> hours" at the end of a ride. For me that answer would always be no. I've mentally wound down and am ready to stop. At the end of a century ride I don't feel as if I'm up for riding twice as far again - yet on a very long ride I feel that I'm just getting warmed up after a hundred miles.

Lots of good advice has been given. It's also good to find somebody who rides at a steady pace but is very experienced so you know that as long as you stick with them you'll finish in time. Salvatore got me around my first long rides (300 & 400).

« Reply #32 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:32:12 pm »
JFDI

Build up gradually, ride within your limits, pushing your envelope a little every time, and try and have fun.

It can't be that difficult, I've done it.

The Seething was a lovely ride this year. And next year I'll be helping, so it'll be even more lovely.  :)

(Not on commission for NorfolknGood)

« Reply #33 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:37:05 pm »

I don't think it's particularly helpful to think "could I do another <x> hours" at the end of a ride. For me that answer would always be no. I've mentally wound down and am ready to stop. At the end of a century ride I don't feel as if I'm up for riding twice as far again - yet on a very long ride I feel that I'm just getting warmed up after a hundred miles.

I don't either which is why I said what I said and not what you said.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #34 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:38:16 pm »

This is very true - so don't let yourself get too worried about a 600 if you feel knackered at the end of a 300.

My advice - if you can ride a 200 then you've got the stamina for a 600. Don't think that you need to do lots of long duration training for long duration rides. If you're looking to improve your fitness before a 600 I'd recommend concentrating on speed. A fairly small uplift in your average speed can pay big dividends in giving you more time off the bike and more options for people you can ride with. If you're looking to do a fairly flat route then it's important that you can get into a group and save energy. It's also important to be in a group to keep your sanity, as a flat 600 on your own will have big chunks of real tedium.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #35 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:40:44 pm »

I don't either which is why I said what I said and not what you said.

Didn't mean to misrepresent you. Similarly, getting on the bike the day after a long ride I don't feel like I could ride far - until I've been on it for a short while and warmed up at which point I generally feel better on the bike than I do walking.

« Reply #36 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:47:20 pm »
As I said earlier everyone is different. I can only speak from my own experience. I have felt shoite the day after some 200s and 300s  and really wouldn't have contemplated going out again. So I learned from them.

Manotea

« Reply #37 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:49:29 pm »
Being at the wrong end of Wales with few bail options is wonderfully motivating for getting through the 2nd day, but this isn't an issue on the Seething where you'll knock off 300km well before midnight and then have the choice of getting some kip before a 300km second day or knocking of another 90km first, in which case you'll be back by 3am or so with time for several hours sleep before a leisurely 200km. Or something like that.

« Reply #38 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:50:44 pm »
Being at the wrong end of Wales with few bail options is wonderfully motivating for getting through the 2nd day, but this isn't an issue on the Seething where you'll knock off 300km well before midnight and then have the choice of getting some kip before a 300km second day or knocking of another 90km first, in which case you'll be back by 3am or so with time for a several hours sleep before a leisurely 200km. Or something like that.

I really hope it ends up working out nice like that for me  ;D

« Reply #39 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:51:41 pm »
He does make sound very very easy. What time does it start ?

« Reply #40 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:56:08 pm »
Being at the wrong end of Wales with few bail options is wonderfully motivating for getting through the 2nd day, but this isn't an issue on the Seething where you'll knock off 300km well before midnight and then have the choice of getting some kip before a 300km second day or knocking of another 90km first, in which case you'll be back by 3am or so with time for a several hours sleep before a leisurely 200km. Or something like that.

I really hope it ends up working out nice like that for me  ;D
I,m pretty sure u will be ok once you get ur new fast dream machine  :)

Manotea

« Reply #41 on: 05 December, 2010, 09:01:12 pm »
He does make sound very very easy. What time does it start ?

It was 7am this year. It was very strange sitting around after 6am in bright summer sunshine waiting for the off.

Next year we'll be away at a more traditional 6am.

« Reply #42 on: 05 December, 2010, 11:24:46 pm »
I'll be doing Seething without having done a 400. In my head, it's a 300 plus a bit more, a rough nights sleep, and a 200. That sounds uncomfortable, but but not impossible. Plus boab said something about cake.

« Reply #43 on: 05 December, 2010, 11:40:09 pm »
Do the seasoned audaxers on here think that doing a 400kms a week before doing a 600kms is mad?

« Reply #44 on: 05 December, 2010, 11:41:11 pm »
Do the seasoned audaxers on here think that doing a 400kms a week before doing a 600kms is mad?

I have entered a 400k a week and a day before the 600 :P

« Reply #45 on: 05 December, 2010, 11:42:25 pm »
I rode my first 400 the week before my first 600 :)

I'm a bit younger than the average audaxer, though.

It depends how you recover, really, but part of riding such daft distances is fitting it around the rest of your life, so if those two weekends are convenient, give it a go.

« Reply #46 on: 05 December, 2010, 11:44:37 pm »
I am hoping that by then I will be fit and have significantly toughened up my derriere so my recovery time will be fast.
I might spend my evenings in January sat on my brooks saddle at the computer in preparation  ;D

« Reply #47 on: 05 December, 2010, 11:46:04 pm »
And ur derriere would have to be hardened for that brooks  ;)

« Reply #48 on: 05 December, 2010, 11:47:20 pm »
I have already ridden about 250 miles on it and it isn't that hard already!

« Reply #49 on: 06 December, 2010, 12:05:07 am »
...By the way, the Bryan Chapman ain't that hard, so if you're living in S Wales, then you really should ride it.

What makes it such a special event - apart from the route - is how well you are looked after, and the size of the field. So you get chivvied along by fellow riders on the road, and you waste little time trying to explain audax to the civilian populace, as it's merely a matter of getting to the control.  If you live close to Chepstow, it's a no-brainer.

Riding twice across Wales also gives it a simple narrative, which appeals to me.