Author Topic: Via race  (Read 1501 times)

Via race
« on: 28 November, 2023, 12:48:35 pm »
I came across this via Instagram: https://via-race.com/about

They've got some talented riders signed up and it certainly looks like it'll be a challenging route. The marketing seems pretty negative though; "Seeing many riders being treated unfairly and disrespectfully, we were inspired to right these wrongs and created VIA to bring the biggest ultracycling race back to ultracyclists, for ultracyclists." One of their Instagram posts had MTB footage saying "we won't make you do this on a road bike".

It's great to have options for big races that cater to different tastes of what the race contains and this one certainly looks good, but taking clear potshots at a certain other organisation lacks class IMO.

Re: Via race
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2023, 01:30:45 pm »
I saw that too. Their most recent instagram post: "Unknowingly, Anatole and @sebastiansarx sparked off the idea and creation of VIA." Doesn't take a genius to figure out who the organizers have got beef with. I definitely agree its a pretty negative vibe to set off with, but can't argue that bashing Lost Dot is probably a decent marketing technique, given the growing anti-LD sentiment in the last couple years...

Will be interesting to see how they go about being so different from existing races, beyond the lack of rough stuff. More relaxed rules? Bonus points for good vibes and high fives?

« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2023, 08:32:09 pm »
Yeah indeed, though I'm not sure they have to do anything differently, just put on a decent race. I can understand the dislike of how Lost Dot have gone about certain things, but making digs like this just seems a bit childish (and I notice they're even running it at the same time as TCR). Ultimately, race rules need/ought to be enforced one way or another, so setting out one's stall have set the race up to be in reaction to an organisation being overly harsh on their rules could be quite risky.

Still, the rest of their posts seem more positive, so hopefully this just turns into a good race that gives riders a different option.

« Reply #3 on: 30 November, 2023, 07:20:55 am »
I am quite tempted by this. 

It's organised by Ian To, who didn't quite achieve what he might have been capable of on his two TCR outings, but who certainly has a decent amount of experience.  And the route looks interesting and, mostly, new to me. 

It's possibly more of a competition to NC4000 than TCR, being all on road and only in western Europe (certainly for me, I was thinking of entering NC4000 before Via came along).  I think TCR has its own distinct positioning and is undoubtedly the biggest challenge. 

I saw the anti-TCR stuff, which jarred a bit as it's better to positively promote your own events positively.  I think the choice of date is a good one though.  NC4000 - which has always run at the same time as the TCR - sold out in a couple of days last year so there are certainly plenty of people who want to ride long events in the peak of summer, school holidays, warm weather, etc. 

« Reply #4 on: 30 November, 2023, 07:22:03 am »
"Unknowingly, Anatole and @sebastiansarx sparked off the idea and creation of VIA." Doesn't take a genius to figure out who the organizers have got beef with.

I  have no idea who / what this is referring to!

EDIT - got it: they are the two riders who were found to have ridden together in this year's TCR, with Anatole then being disqualified from third place.

« Reply #5 on: 30 November, 2023, 10:44:46 pm »

It's possibly more of a competition to NC4000 than TCR, being all on road and only in western Europe (certainly for me, I was thinking of entering NC4000 before Via came along).  I think TCR has its own distinct positioning and is undoubtedly the biggest challenge. 

Fair points, I had never realised NC4000 was at the same time. I agree that it looks like a great route and would definitely consider it if I was looking for something that big next year.

The idea that they are running three of them, with the next year's starting where the previous finished, is pretty novel and would make it quite appealing to do all three for some sort of long term fully connected up adventure race.

« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2023, 02:28:00 pm »
Yes - making it bigger than a single ride is an interesting twist and gives a reason to do it three years running. 

IME these things are very much about motivation and the reason for doing them.  The question: 'why am I putting myself through this, which I might look back on fondly, but which is not fun right now?' always needs to have a good answer.

« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2024, 09:38:21 pm »
I got confirmation that I have a place, so I'll be off to Spain in July.
Did anyone else enter?

« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2024, 07:44:18 am »
Not gone in for it myself but I look forward to watching your dot, Frank!
Might do one of the other editions if I feel the motivation for something really long again.

« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2024, 01:10:43 pm »
Not seen this event. Thanks for the prompt.
Thats going to be a hot one!
That time of year is getting crowded with event options, but as Frank mentioned there seems to be no shortage of riders looking to sign up.
Our chosen event actually runs during the same time frame too, though there are only 12 places taken so far and two of them are us!
 We could be in with a chance of a top three pair :-). or the only pair!
https://www.adventurebikeracing.com/aroundnorway/

Mikes other earlier season event RATN already has over 200 riders. I found out to my expense when I tried to book accomodation at the start last week. Not being on the ball means I have an extra 10km to ride prior to the start as everything close was booked out.
often lost.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2024, 01:28:14 pm »
Mikes other earlier season event RATN already has over 200 riders. I found out to my expense when I tried to book accomodation at the start last week. Not being on the ball means I have an extra 10km to ride prior to the start as everything close was booked out.

Not helped by the fact it starts on Kingsday...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #11 on: 08 January, 2024, 07:16:23 pm »

Not helped by the fact it starts on Kingsday...

J

Ahh, thanks for the tip CG. Orange cycling rig it is then.
often lost.

« Reply #12 on: 23 January, 2024, 10:29:25 am »
They have re-opened entries for another week; presumably to cater for people who didn't get a TCR place, plus anyone who missed their PR last year!