Author Topic: Virgin Trains to be replaced.....  (Read 1447 times)

essexian

Virgin Trains to be replaced.....
« on: 14 August, 2019, 03:39:25 pm »
On the West Coast Main line.....

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/new-train-company-awarded-west-3208468

Not sure if this is good or bad news. On one hand, Virgin are extremely expensive and do few cheap fares even booking in advance, while at least its the Devil you know..... and to be replaced by First Train.....I am sure I can think of a few things to say about them and none of them that nice!

Well at least we have a stopping service we can use instead....

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I am sure the most excellent Movers will be along shortly if it is  :thumbsup:)

Re: Virgin Trains to be replaced.....
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2019, 05:30:21 pm »
Yes, worrying.  Other than their cost I’ve had few complaints about that service.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2019, 06:36:00 pm »
I use Virgin pretty frequently. I hope this means the end of the talking toilet, I'm not expecting much else.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2019, 06:51:34 pm »
Stagecoach replaced with Trenitalia

I suspect we won't see Italian pricing...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2019, 07:02:19 pm »
Given that the trains, tickets, timetable and booking database are all outside the scope of the TOC, and likely the majority of staff will continue in their existing roles, does this actually mean anything other than a new livery, announcements, uniforms, and website?

Oh yeah: Whose shareholders get the profits, and another spin of the cycle policy roulette wheel.

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2019, 07:40:02 pm »
Given that the trains, tickets, timetable and booking database are all outside the scope of the TOC, and likely the majority of staff will continue in their existing roles, does this actually mean anything other than a new livery, announcements, uniforms, and website?

Oh yeah: Whose shareholders get the profits, and another spin of the cycle policy roulette wheel.
I think you've prolly summed it up succinctly.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2019, 09:06:08 pm »
It's only the potential churn of franchise that gets Southern to clean their seats (every five years or so).

Basically nothing else changes other than a shedload of money gets wasted on repainting stuff. Shedloads of taxpayer and passenger money, of course.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2019, 12:00:59 am »
Hmmm. I've only used Virgin West Coast a few times, but it has been exemplary. I've sat there, at my table, and the more staff than passengers have laid provision after provision in front of me for my delectation. I largely sit where I want, but there as are 5 coaches to choose from in 1st in a Virgin Pendelino, that's not hard. Not cheap, but a service only bettered by the leather seats on the old 125s on the GWR line.

I imagine that First will do what they have with the GWR line trains; repurpose many First Class carriages to Standard to provide more capacity. As far as I'm concerned, that's fine, as long as I can get a seat, as I cannot stand on a train and am seriously uncomfortable in a full carriage. I know I have to pay for it, but that's just the cost I have to bear if I use trains.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2019, 12:03:49 am »
I quite like Virgin, but mostly because they're not CrossCountry.  The differences are 95% down to the rolling stock, which they have no control over.  Virgin's fascist approach to cycle reservations meaning that you're unlikely to find there isn't space for your bike makes up the remainder.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2019, 08:09:28 am »
Bit sad to see Virgin go, but then I rarely use it these days.  In my working days, often going down from Crewe to that horrible place outside Euston, and long pre-Virgin, the trains were noisy, rattly, frequently full of beer cans left groups of squaddies going on leave, and generally contributed to your overall feeling of weariness on a long business day out.

Then came Virgin - first the Voyagers and then the Pendolinos.  What a revelation.  They were comfortable, well-lit, clean, smooth, well staffed and a generally nice place to be.  Other than your favourite chair in front of the telly watching Repair Shop, with an Ardbeg to hand.

I suppose First will simply refurb and repaint the Virgin rolling stock and by the time their new stock comes along I'll probably be past caring.  My wife will tell me as she's regularly up and down the WCML  playing bridge in that there Lunnun.  FWIW, my wife usually gets very reasonable ticket prices, sometimes even first class, by buying weeks in advance.

« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2019, 08:43:51 am »

Well at least we have a stopping service we can use instead....
First are very good at stopping.
<i>Marmite slave</i>