Author Topic: Phone cases and camera flashes  (Read 1118 times)

Phone cases and camera flashes
« on: 17 February, 2020, 05:21:38 pm »
I'm on the lookout for a new case for my iPhone 7.  One of the problems I've experienced with my only previous iPhone is that the wallet case I have for it doesn't have enough clearance for the camera flash, meaning that when I take pics with flash I get a whole load of reflection.

I can easily enough get the phone out of the case every time I need to take a flash photo, but it's a bit of a faff.  I use my phone camera quite a bit when I'm doing structural surveys (in dark lofts or cellars), and I don't like having it unprotected..

I really don't like the idea of those rubbery sleeves around the back.  No matter whether you use the tempered-glass protectors, I've seen way too many fucked screens to be comfortable having something like that.

Does anyone know of a wallet-type case that doesn't give terrible flash reflection?

Re: Phone cases and camera flashes
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2020, 06:23:53 pm »
Just buy the wallet of choice and then make the hole bigger round the flash. I had to do this for my wife.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2020, 07:47:00 pm »
I enlarged the hole around the notification light on a phone case for barakta at one point.  No real drama, but it wasn't especially neat (which didn't matter, as she's in the habit of colouring her phone case in when bored in the presence of marker pens, nail varnish, etc.).

« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2020, 09:47:22 pm »
Chacun a son case, but not all cases are the same. I've been using Spigen for several years, over which time various phones been dropped face down from a height (the sacrificial glass protector doing its job, on occasion)  - their iPhone 7 offerings are here https://www.spigen.co.uk/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-7.html/ . I'm sure there are other good makes, but I've found them a dependable brand. The "rugged Armour" version looks interesting, although I've never used it. I also have an eBay neoprene wallet I use when I'm doing really mucky stuff

No question but a full wrap around wallet will protect more, is it worth the nuisance? only you know, for yourself.

« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2020, 08:11:52 am »
Just buy the wallet of choice and then make the hole bigger round the flash. I had to do this for my wife.

Did you have to use ultra-sharp surgical equipment to do so?  How easy is it to make a tidy job of it?

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2020, 09:21:22 am »
The wallet had a plastic back so I used a Stanley knife to Mel cutting slivers away until there was no flash. In retrospect a scalpel would have helped or possibly a soldering iron.

« Reply #6 on: 19 February, 2020, 11:42:07 am »
Found myself a cheap (Tortoise) wallet case in Tesco that's got a big enough cut-out that flash works okay.  Cheers again, folks.  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2020, 12:24:38 pm »
The wallet had a plastic back so I used a Stanley knife to Mel cutting slivers away until there was no flash. In retrospect a scalpel would have helped or possibly a soldering iron.

I think I used a drill bit (it was a circular hole) and tidied up with a scalpel.

Melting plastic with a soldering iron usually gives decent results (I have an old iron with poor temperature regulation that's dedicated to such things, as it ruins the tip), but I suspect some of these cases have a layer of card in the middle.