Author Topic: RATN 2020  (Read 23784 times)

rob

Re: RATN 2020
« Reply #75 on: 22 March, 2020, 06:52:49 am »
Decision being taken 7th April.

I’ve largely jacked in training, but I have a lot of shit going on at the moment.

My other planned race, the Pan Celtic has just been postponed to 2021.

Phil W

« Reply #76 on: 22 March, 2020, 07:58:34 am »
It’s difficult if you still have 2020 events that aren’t postponed / cancelled. I’ve jacked my training in now with the last of my 2020 events being delayed to 2021.  Just going out for rides to get some fresh air and exercise now. I’m saving the turbo for if things change regards outdoor exercise. Turbo is always done on patio so it is technically “outdoors”.

« Reply #77 on: 22 March, 2020, 11:05:17 pm »
Motivation is shot as who knows what to aim for this year...?  ???

My family don't want me out on the road (or MTB) at the moment, just down to the tiny risk of 'an off' that needs medical care.  So, to keep everybody happy I'm on the turbo for the foreseeable.  By mid week I'll have AppleTV so I can make better use of the new Kickr, the wife is mad about the money spent on all this indoor kit but also happy that i'll be less grumpy and not outdoors.

RATN 2021 sounds good...  :'(

« Reply #78 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:38:06 am »
I decided to give up training yesterday.  I would like to have carried on but 2 year-old at home with us and wife very busy with work means I have no time. 

rob

« Reply #79 on: 23 March, 2020, 10:54:30 am »
Last night’s e-mail pretty much clarified things. 

So this years move into ultra racing is dead.  Might be able to do some TTs and audax in the Autumn and then build to 2021. 

I will now have enough annual leave to manage our relocation, though.  I have a feeling that J may not even go back to his current school so we could move early.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #80 on: 23 March, 2020, 01:41:22 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if this event doesn't get pushed to later in the year...

Keep training...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #81 on: 23 March, 2020, 06:56:43 pm »
The Dutch government just announced that until June 1 "gatherings"  are not allowed. This bans every organised event, unless it's you and at most two mates. I didn't see the email of the organizers, but this (unsuprisingly) is not happening in May.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #82 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:02:47 pm »
The Dutch government just announced that until June 1 "gatherings"  are not allowed. This bans every organised event, unless it's you and at most two mates. I didn't see the email of the organizers, but this (unsuprisingly) is not happening in May.

No email has been sent yet. I think.

J
--

rob

« Reply #83 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:05:36 pm »

No email has been sent yet. I think.

J

There was one last night, but I’m not sure I should put the contents in here.

« Reply #84 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:11:30 pm »
I can guess the content: event highly unlikely to take place, update will follow soon?

rob

« Reply #85 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:26:20 pm »
Along those lines.  Clear reasoning was given, though, and I’m fine with it.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #86 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:46:58 pm »

Ah. I stand corrected.

J
--

rob

« Reply #87 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:41:56 pm »
Deferred to 29th August.

rob

« Reply #88 on: 29 April, 2020, 04:40:51 pm »
Should have been boarding the ferry about now.   Bollocks.

rob

« Reply #89 on: 03 June, 2020, 04:15:10 pm »
Deferred to 29th August.

So there is a chance of doing this and making it into a mini-Tour.  My original plan was to drive and travel via France, but I suspect going through 3 countries will add extra risk.  With my upcoming move it will be about 50 miles to Harwich so I cold ride there Thursday pm and overnight to Hook of Holland before riding to Amerongen for bike check on Friday afternoon.   I could then ride back after finishing and overnight home the following Saturday, getting home for Sunday lunch.

Under existing regs I would need to quarantine on return but I'm wfh for the foreseeable future so no real hardship.   I think the risk, provided the race takes place, is around any quarantine restrictions arriving into the NL.

My relocation is going to take up most of the next 4 weeks so maybe not as much training as I would like.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #90 on: 03 June, 2020, 08:31:35 pm »

I need to double check, but I think there is a quarantine coming in from .UK to .NL :(

J
--

« Reply #91 on: 03 June, 2020, 10:30:30 pm »

I need to double check, but I think there is a quarantine coming in from .UK to .NL :(

J

It looks like this for the moment. But it was also announced that the risks will be constantly reevaluated and the advises/ules adapted accordingly.
Tit for that won't be part of the Dutch policy, Danish residents will be allowed entry even when Denmark refuses entry for Dutch residents.

rob

« Reply #92 on: 04 June, 2020, 08:38:36 am »

J

It looks like this for the moment. But it was also announced that the risks will be constantly reevaluated and the advises/ules adapted accordingly.
Tit for that won't be part of the Dutch policy, Danish residents will be allowed entry even when Denmark refuses entry for Dutch residents.

Thanks, both.

I'm not going to make any decisions on this until late July or even early August.   My normal habit of booking things a long way in advance has gone out the window.

« Reply #93 on: 09 June, 2020, 08:33:00 am »
A completely different event but the same organisers: it looks like the 3 Peaks ride, from Vienna to Nice, will go ahead, starting on 25 July.

rob

« Reply #94 on: 09 June, 2020, 09:27:17 am »
While digging around the official Netherlands rules I did pick up on a few things.   Firstly my original plan was to go via France/Belgium but I think that will cause some issues, particularly the French bit.   I could go over night on the Harwich Ferry and it's also possible that I could now ride both ways and make a holiday of it. 

What the guidance does say is that if you travel into the country you have to provide proof of pre-booked accommodation.   

I can do this for before/after the race, but pre-booking on the route breaches the race regulations.    It's still a good 10 weeks to the race and this could slacken off in the meantime.   I have a bit of real life to deal with for a couple of weeks but can maybe look at it again in July.   I still have my spot.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #95 on: 09 June, 2020, 09:46:33 am »
Surely the race will have to adapt its regs to fit with the law, if the law hasn't changed by then?

rob

« Reply #96 on: 09 June, 2020, 09:56:06 am »
Surely the race will have to adapt its regs to fit with the law, if the law hasn't changed by then?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking but there's little point in hassling the organiser at the moment as I'm still not sure I can get to the start line.   Hopefully the next month or so will give some clarity.

« Reply #97 on: 09 June, 2020, 02:28:06 pm »
Uncertainty is the biggest thing. The Dutch government will make the rules more strict as soon as the number of hospital admissions cross a certain threshold. So, restaurants, hotel rooms with shared showers, you name it, could all close on short notice.

About the pre-booked accommodation: Isn't it sufficient to have the first few nights covered? That's the usual rule if you go to countries with visa requirements at least.

And I would avoid France. I expect travel between Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany to be back to (almost) normal after June 15 (I'm going on holiday to Germany next week, so fingers crossed this is true). The French still seem very hesitant to open the borders.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #98 on: 09 July, 2020, 01:35:51 pm »

I'll be writing an update for my blog post I wrote last year on hints and tips for those racing RatN in the next couple of weeks, but something I think people should be aware of now so they can prep.

In light of the current pandemic, a lot more places are not accepting cash. And a lot of these places are only accepting MAESTRO AND V-PAY DEBIT CARDS.

I mentioned this last year, and a lot of people said "It's ok I have my credit card!" No, it's not OK. Unless your card says Maestro or Vpay, it is very very unlikely to work. You may get away with it at certain touristy places, hotels, NS ticket machines, and some places in central Amsterdam. But outside of these, you have no chance. This includes Cafe de Prologue. Last year I helped a couple of Brits by buying their drink on my card and taking their cash. I won't be doing that this year. When I tell you that your UK cards don't work, I really mean it, this also includes the Jumbo supermarket next to the start. No I won't be bailing out the person behind me who claimed 10 minutes earlier that their card would work here cos they have a credit card.

I don't know if prepay v-pay or maestro cards can be obtained by Brits, or if any UK banks issue them on request, but you have under 2 months, so maybe worth a bit of research to check. Last year I told people to make sure they had some cash just in case, this year that is much less of an option. Get a card that works here.

J
--

rob

« Reply #99 on: 10 July, 2020, 08:38:35 am »