Author Topic: Hand wood saw  (Read 1629 times)

Hand wood saw
« on: 28 April, 2020, 07:47:55 am »
My chainsaw is currently and may remain broken. I have got a colleague who is going to have a look at some point

Anyway I'm considering cutting some of the wood I have for my log burner by hand so can start to move stuff about in the wood store. I don't want to spend a fortune but can anyone recommend a good hand saw for cutting logs. The real big stumps can wait or be split so probably up to about 12". I have done a few with my wolf pole pruner which obviously detaches from handle I'm not stood 12 foot away

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: Hand wood saw
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:24:00 am »
One of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spear-ackson-21-530mm-bow-saw/233568467843?hash=item3661c3fb83:g:JjUAAOSwDFFehR2Q

Quick and not too inaccurate if you let the blade do the work.  Get some spare blades too.

I've got a Sandvik one, excellent for log cutting and tree pruning.

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:30:22 am »
What Andy said.

Buy good blades. There is a huge difference between cheap bowsaw blades and bahco (or sandvik).

Although I would not buy the shape in Andy's link. Look for a frame with a 'C' shape. The more triangular ones are no good for cutting larger logs.
C shape frame:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAHCO-24-BOWSAW-OR-LOGGING-SAW-ECONOMY-MODEL-SE-15-24-SPARE-BLADE/401162336816?hash=item5d67237a30:g:Z4oAAOxyBLBR8UhM
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2020, 09:17:04 am »
Is there any disadvantage to buying a larger saw. Think there was a 25 inch one when I had a quick Google

And I'll def buy a good blade. I have a small old cheap bow saw and it's just about suitable for cheese

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2020, 09:43:46 am »
Bow saws are underrated. The smaller ones are useful if you need to stow in a backpack but the larger ones get more done. There is more of a run each way before you saw the other way.

A handy trick is: put your thumb over the kerf once the blade is below the depth of the cut. This stops the saw jumping out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2020, 09:57:39 am »
I find that if you can get into a sort-of relaxed swinging stroke it goes quite easily - it's even fun. As Andy says, let the blade do the work.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2020, 10:01:07 am »
I have bought all sorts of makes for my business but I find Bahco are the best value and price point.

« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2020, 10:21:05 am »
As the woods in various state of seasoning but mostly at least a year would a dry blade be better?

« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2020, 10:28:38 am »
As the woods in various state of seasoning but mostly at least a year would a dry blade be better?
Probably. When it’s green or still on the tree, the other options are more suitable.

« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2020, 10:30:47 am »
I’m not sure what is wrong with your chainsaw or the make, but there are some useful Stihl YouTube maintenance videos.

« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2020, 10:59:08 am »
I thought it was fuel issues so replaced carb but still dies. TBF it's a cheap husky that's done a lot of work so may just be worn out.

I'm lucky enough to work in engineering so have some helpful and knowledgeable guys who I work with. Just need to get some petrol to make 2 stroke first then one of them is going to have a look

« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2020, 11:38:59 am »
Brilliant

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #12 on: 29 April, 2020, 08:45:23 am »
I thought it was fuel issues so replaced carb but still dies. TBF it's a cheap husky that's done a lot of work so may just be worn out.

I'm lucky enough to work in engineering so have some helpful and knowledgeable guys who I work with. Just need to get some petrol to make 2 stroke first then one of them is going to have a look

I'm no expert, but I have a fair bit of experience with these small carbs, largely through model aeroplane flying - the 30cc petrol engine I had in a 10ft span Auster used a Walbro clone carb.  The experience transferred nicely to my 2008 petrol strimmer.

IME, if it dies, it's not getting enough fuel.  You've changed the carb, but what about the feed line from the tank?  These fuel lines don't last forever, and the weighted filter on the end (the 'clunk') can clog too.

Sounds like you can prime it with the bulb and it runs, but dies.  Try giving it a prime with the bulb as it's dying and see if it perks up. If it does, it's being starved of fuel feed from the tank. If you've never changed the fuel feed pipe and clunk I bet that's your problem.

The fuel pipe needs to be petrol resistant.  I got a new clunk and a metre of petrol resistant fuel tube from a model aeroplane shop.

« Reply #13 on: 29 April, 2020, 09:16:49 am »

Are you in a position to use an electric one? I've always used those and never wanted to worry about whether it's going to start, oil up the spark plug if left ticking over, whether I have the right oil mix or minding the hot exhaust and I haven't missed the 2-stroke fumes either.

Years ago I had 2-stroke outboard inflicted on me. They were as just as bad, with the added fun of not being able to walk away if they didn't work.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #14 on: 29 April, 2020, 09:23:50 am »
I can potentially borrow and use an electric one and for 90% of the use it gets this would be fine but I do occasionally need to be using it a distance from a plug.

If I had the pennies I'd go battery as my strimmer is 2 stroke as well but there expensive to start with battery and charger

« Reply #15 on: 29 April, 2020, 01:29:48 pm »
Just seen your comment about replacing the carb, but it still dying - do you mean it starts but doesn't rev?

If so, try taking the exhaust off and cleaning the gauze between the exhaust and cylinder.  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #16 on: 29 April, 2020, 01:53:48 pm »
Yes that wobbly and thanks I'll give it a try.

« Reply #17 on: 01 May, 2020, 08:52:36 am »
I have bought all sorts of makes for my business but I find Bahco are the best value and price point.

I always buy Bahco whether its for garden or workshop use. 

Generally prefer this kind of bow saw

over this

Also agree about electric chainsaws.  I have a Bosch that does for me.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #18 on: 01 May, 2020, 11:53:37 am »
Update on chainsaw. Yesterday took the muffler guaze off and looked OK. Started and it died. Tame technician came in today and said let have a look. Show me what's wrong.......You can see where this is going. Started it up and it run fine. Turned off. Same again runs fine. Hopefully continues so can re organise the log store this weekend