Author Topic: The wind...  (Read 32978 times)

Re: The wind...
« Reply #425 on: 22 January, 2024, 08:38:11 pm »
Just had a phone call from family members, diverted off the M6 southbound at Shap, on account of fallen over lotteries. Lots of crisp packets blowing everywhere too...

Do you know if any of the fallen lotteries contained winning numbers?

« Reply #426 on: 22 January, 2024, 10:58:15 pm »
My fence came down last night :-(

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #427 on: 22 January, 2024, 11:46:07 pm »
Just had a phone call from family members, diverted off the M6 southbound at Shap, on account of fallen over lotteries. Lots of crisp packets blowing everywhere too...

Do you know if any of the fallen lotteries contained winning numbers?

Argh!!!

I hate everythink!!!
It is simpler than it looks.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #429 on: 23 January, 2024, 05:00:07 pm »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #430 on: 23 January, 2024, 07:35:49 pm »
Another Manchester-Dublin Ryanair flight went back and forth between the UK and Ireland for over three hours, appearing to circle but abandon landing at Dublin, attempt to get on the ground at Belfast (where it made a go-around) and circling over Glasgow before landing in Liverpool – just 31 miles away from the departure airport.

« Reply #431 on: 24 January, 2024, 07:51:18 am »

Storm Jocelyn brings 97mph wind gusts to UK

The UK has recorded winds gusting to 97mph this morning during Storm Jocelyn, significantly higher speeds than what the Met Office had forecast.

The highest wind speed recorded in the UK was in Capel Curig in Wales, at 97mph, while other regions experienced wind gusts of around 70mph, the Met Office said.

Free pardon for Michael Fish please..

« Reply #432 on: 24 January, 2024, 08:38:32 am »
I live near Capel Curig and confirm that it was seriously bloody windy yesterday. It was the sort of wind where your very solid stone built house is creaking and making weird noises that you know you'll have to investigate later.

« Reply #433 on: 24 January, 2024, 09:07:13 am »
I’ve just received several messages & pictures from my sister.  A tree was blown down in the back garden last night.  Luckily it didn’t hit anything.    Guess who’s going to have to cut that up & get rid of it…

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #434 on: 24 January, 2024, 07:20:12 pm »
I’ve just received several messages & pictures from my sister.  A tree was blown down in the back garden last night.  Luckily it didn’t hit anything.    Guess who’s going to have to cut that up & get rid of it…
AndrewC, this weekend:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #435 on: 24 January, 2024, 07:28:20 pm »
He's a lumberjack and he's OK
Etc.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #436 on: 24 January, 2024, 07:32:01 pm »
AndrewC, this weekend:

Git !   

I've been spending a couple of hours looking at video reviews of reciprocating saws.   I'm not cutting the thing up by hand.

« Reply #437 on: 24 January, 2024, 07:43:32 pm »
We need a picture now.

« Reply #438 on: 24 January, 2024, 07:58:28 pm »
I've been told to leave it alone until the spring.   She's worried about the birds having nowhere to perch.    A recip saw should get the branches off easily & with a long enough blade cut the trunk into portable chunks.  A lot of work though.  The expensive alternative is to get the tree surgeons back (they told her it was rotten last year).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #439 on: 24 January, 2024, 08:12:59 pm »
Reciprocating sores? Sounds most unhygienic!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #440 on: 24 January, 2024, 09:57:21 pm »

Last night was distinctly unpleasant. Whole building shaking. I stopped watching stuff on the screen in the living room as it was moving too much due to the wind.

Apparently they measured 95kph winds 20km away at Schiphol...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #441 on: 25 January, 2024, 09:10:09 am »
AndrewC, this weekend:

His handle is on upside down. wtf?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #442 on: 25 January, 2024, 10:04:33 am »
I've been told to leave it alone until the spring.   She's worried about the birds having nowhere to perch.    A recip saw should get the branches off easily & with a long enough blade cut the trunk into portable chunks.  A lot of work though.  The expensive alternative is to get the tree surgeons back (they told her it was rotten last year).

It looks a bit late for the tree surgeons. I think that is an ex-tree.

But seriously, a decent hand saw would cope with that. 

And I bet that much ivy would made the tree pretty sick.  I had a huge chestnut in my garden, one of three that I let the ivy get too much of a hold on. When I eventually got rid of the ivy the tree got a new lease of life although it lost a huge branch killed by ivy.  I use a section of the branch as a lamp table now.

« Reply #443 on: 26 January, 2024, 05:34:24 pm »

Met Office responds as 'mini tornado' sees residents woken by 'wild weather' in North East
Scared residents took to social media after waking to rain, hail and high winds at around 3am on Friday

Here in York Mrs A was woken up by ‘horrendous wind and rain’ at about 3 a.m.  For some reason it didn’t wake me immediately, but I did wake up a bit later when the cat jumped on me.

Luckily there is nothing left in the garden that can blow around now.  There was no weather warning that I am aware of.

« Reply #445 on: 29 January, 2024, 09:24:32 am »
It was getting pretty windy here on Sunday (house was shaking in the gusts).

So I decided to go for a walk up on the headland, to see what the minch looked like in a southerly gale.

Well, couldn't see anything, because the spray whipped up on the Minch was like a whiteout.

Lost one of my favourite buffs.

The wind was entertaining though. Resorted to taking my glasses off and putting them in a pocket, since I couldn't hold them on and cling to rocks/ground at the same time.

Thought it was gusting 60mph, might have been 70mph. Seriously difficult to walk in, had to lean at a ridiculous angle just to avoid falling over.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #446 on: 31 January, 2024, 08:45:37 am »
Repeat, with rain.

15mm of rain overnight, winds gusting 60-70mph. Still lashing rain and wind. House shuddering in the gusts.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #447 on: 31 January, 2024, 03:05:01 pm »

She's wrong.  Now is the time to remove it - before birds start nesting in it in early Spring.

Is it in a conservation area?  If so, you'll need permission from the council - but you could do a five day notice on the grounds that it is down.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #448 on: 31 January, 2024, 09:06:12 pm »
It’s in their back garden, it’s down & when I checked the trunk it was like a sponge in the centre. The council will have no interest. 

« Reply #449 on: 01 February, 2024, 08:50:36 am »
The winds have knocked down two grey willows. I'll cut them back to a stump; they'll regrow from that with lots of shoots. The roots aren't entirely ripped out of the ground.

Going to be a pain doing one of them, it has half-fallen on another tree. Ladder and pruning saw job, taking it steady.
<i>Marmite slave</i>