Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526414 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1500 on: 07 August, 2016, 08:40:41 pm »
And another ride that included COR, coffee and stoves plus a nice pub stop?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1501 on: 08 August, 2016, 02:34:19 pm »
After this weekend's triumph ...

"Paging Mr huggy, paging Mr huggy ..."
hmm, four different 50k loops or two 50's and a 100 🤔

Would a Compasses/Templars series of loops work from High Easter, I wonder?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1502 on: 08 August, 2016, 06:13:50 pm »
Good idea!  A theme is required, or indeed a quest! 

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1503 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:01:06 pm »

'Find Your Grail'...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1504 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:24:33 pm »

'Find Your Grail'...

A wholly excellent idea!  Is that my coat over there ...?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1505 on: 10 August, 2016, 11:34:23 am »
Bit late I know  to return to the velodrome topic, but has anyone got photographic evidence of my ascent of the banking? Fhoot would like some proof!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1506 on: 10 August, 2016, 11:49:53 am »
Bit late I know  to return to the velodrome topic, but has anyone got photographic evidence of my ascent of the banking? Fhoot would like some proof!
I have some pics, I'll email over when I get round to it
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1507 on: 11 August, 2016, 09:08:40 am »
I did a bit of a warm up around Witham arriving at the Spa Road roundabout shortly before 1930hrs - there was no-one there.  This continued to be the case so I pedaled off alone.

I followed my nose through Terling, and began the climb of TMNH but turned left along Tofts Chase just for a change. I then looped back eventually ending up on Plantation Road in the gathering gloom.  NB: the kitty litter problem in the greater MNH area has calmed down although care is still advised.

I arrived at The Compasses thinking I'd have a solitary pint before heading home for an early bed but ...

The usual format then unfolded which amounted to a very pleasant evening.  A couple of points to note, I left by the side door (the one by the bogs) to find Eileen having her haircut!  And it was decidedly nippy on the ride home.

« Reply #1508 on: 11 August, 2016, 06:29:04 pm »
FYI:
The Thomas Mildmay, a 'Spoons pub in Chelmsford, has been sold to another pub/restaurant chain and will soon change from one to the other. Don't know which chain but contracts have been exchanged.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1509 on: 13 August, 2016, 01:10:01 pm »
It's changing into a walkabout
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1510 on: 13 August, 2016, 01:12:41 pm »
It's changing into a walkabout

Whatever.  It wasn't in the 2013 Good Beer Guide so it's irrelevant  ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1511 on: 13 August, 2016, 01:13:43 pm »
I think I've only been in there twice since I lived here!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1512 on: 13 August, 2016, 01:19:41 pm »
By the way, on Wednesday evening I became dimly aware (the state above which my awareness rarely rises) that the road surfaces hereabouts seem have got noticeably better, ECC Highways appear to have been very busy.  Has anyone else noticed the same or am I just being delusional? 

TMNH seems to be fine now, with the kitty litter no longer causing a danger although some of the smaller roads off it were still a bit gravelly. 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1513 on: 18 August, 2016, 08:27:14 am »
Yesterday evening was eventful.  I had built about a mile of COR into the route just for fun which was the undoing of one of the WC riders, a grazed arm and leg.  I was feeling a bit guilty about this until Gavin (a real Gavin at last  :thumbsup:  ) let slip that the COR induced gash on his right leg might lead to a scar that would match the one on his left leg that resulted from a motorbike accident and that he had also broken his collar bone in a cycling off.  Gavin is clearly one of those poor souls who gravity likes to play with.

I also had to administer bonk rations to another WC rider at the pub and another bunch sailed past a left turn on the way back never to be seen again!

But, nonetheless, it was a grand ride to a lovely pub under a full moon.

BTW Oaky, The Swan has a new pub dog, a black German Shepherd, a worthy successor to Shadow the cannonball carrying Rottweiler. 

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1514 on: 18 August, 2016, 11:18:30 am »
As I have previously reported, my soigneur is presently on leave, so my ride over took in The Compasses so I could something to eat en route, I'd left enough time to have a pleasant amble over, this of course went out the window and I hammered it over there.  I've been a busy bee this morning and fired off my complaint to Stephensons of Essex about their bus drivers 6inch overtake on me whilst on the way to Great Totham- so will see what comes back regarding that. 

There was a very good selection of ale (Jarrylo, Captain Bob, Wobbly Croc plus others I didn't try) on at The Compasses and their burger was mega. 

I left their for the 2 mile ride down to The Swan and got their around 9.  I was nursing a pint and thinking about heading off back home when the WC peloton finally arrived, a couple of pints were enjoyed by the group then they headed off back home whilst the hard core remained on for another pint.  I thought they were a bit grumpy in The Swan last night, I had far better service and conversation with the staff in The Compasses who also had a wider range of beers on the go to. (i.e. no Doombar). 

The ride home was pleasant though I did had to add another layer as the clear sky resulted in a drop in temperature which felt colder than the reported 16 degrees on the Garmin, usual wild life on the route home, but more suicidal than of late, I narrowly avoided doing 'a Tom' when a badger bolted out in front of me, disc brakes saved the day... 

I had started off slow but the speed built up and as I came in to the last couple of KM, hammered two of my local segments, with one of them I was sure being a new PR.... so imagine my happiness when my Garmin turned itself off 500m from my door, the result being all the route from The Compasses to home was lost - this isn't the first time it's happened unfortunately and worse still it gives all the impression that it's working fine, start/stop & lap working etc, then bang, reset and lost data... I don't think I am prepared to risk this anymore given how I rely on it for DIYbyGPS!

My anger at the Garmin was slightly displaced by finding two badgers frolicking in my back garden, which is cute, but I know at some pint they'll start digging holes in it like last time!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1515 on: 18 August, 2016, 12:27:35 pm »

BTW Oaky, The Swan has a new pub dog, a black German Shepherd, a worthy successor to Shadow the cannonball carrying Rottweiler.
Also I confirmed that they are happy for people to camp in the back garden and they will do dinner if they are notified in advance.....It's on the list as  a possible location for the epiphany evening do, I might even try and frequent it a bit more to get my face known, it's so close to home.

edit: did you notice the Collection of 3 large jars of Pickled eggs? Plain, Balsamic or Chilli.....

« Reply #1516 on: 18 August, 2016, 10:12:20 pm »
I found a new bit of COR last weekend - sort of west of Gt Leighs near the Essex Show Ground Chelmsford City Race Course. The segment is called Dumney Lane on Strava. I notice nobody here is listed (I even got a top ten bimbling through!), but I can't believe it hasn't been explored by any ACMErs in the past?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1517 on: 19 August, 2016, 08:32:02 am »
I found a new bit of COR last weekend - sort of west of Gt Leighs near the Essex Show Ground Chelmsford City Race Course. The segment is called Dumney Lane on Strava. I notice nobody here is listed (I even got a top ten bimbling through!), but I can't believe it hasn't been explored by any ACMErs in the past?

Good spot, I have added it to my COR database.  We need another Shit Essex Roads Ride.  I seem to remember we were going to do the first ride over a weekend with camping  :demon:

« Reply #1518 on: 19 August, 2016, 12:21:47 pm »
What....I rode that on my Gravel run the other week and it never picked up as a segment....ah well!

I got some air quite close to the start of that lane as well!

« Reply #1519 on: 19 August, 2016, 12:28:48 pm »
I'm guessing it has only been set up as a segment in one direction. I rode it the other way from you. Maybe you need to add it!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1520 on: 19 August, 2016, 01:58:06 pm »
haha...that would mean I have to pay for Strava and I am firstly way to tight to do that and secondly not bovered enough!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1521 on: 21 August, 2016, 07:37:16 pm »
haha...that would mean I have to pay for Strava and I am firstly way to tight to do that and secondly not bovered enough!

I'm pretty sure I added segments before I went premium on Strava.

The "add segment" function should appear on a menu from the spanner icon when you look at one of your activities.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1522 on: 24 August, 2016, 08:45:41 am »
Yes you can add segments from basic membership, I am also too tight to upgrade but can add them 😳

« Reply #1523 on: 24 August, 2016, 11:28:28 am »
 :thumbsup: Yep, agreed....found it. Thanks.

« Reply #1524 on: 24 August, 2016, 11:38:38 am »
I submitted a DIY by GPS for Alys' first 50k audax yesterday. Early train from Kelvedon to Harwich this Saturday, breakfast at Café on the Pier and then largely following the NCN all the way back via Wivenhoe, Colchester Castle Park, Olivers Lane, Birch. The 50k ends in Hardy's Green but we'll carry on to some food and drink at the Crown in Messing before riding home (or getting the team car to collect us depending on our state).

the Mandatory route DIY seems good. It's saved us having to do several bonus KM's. There is also quite a bit of COR involved, mainly between Wivenhoe and Birch where we only rarely have to be on the road.