Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526418 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1700 on: 04 October, 2016, 09:48:50 am »
I thought it was an angel/demon with an outstretched arm and pointing finger!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1701 on: 04 October, 2016, 04:49:39 pm »
hmmm, wonder how far it is to ride around the other edge of all the routes....only one way to find out.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1702 on: 05 October, 2016, 09:56:41 am »
Marking your forward planning calendars for an amendment/addition.  The next Velodrome session offer is in :-
Thursday 5th January 2017 20:00-22:00

Usual terms, if we have more than 20 interested I'll book a 2nd instructor.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1703 on: 06 October, 2016, 07:59:11 am »
Yesterday evening at The Compasses was very pleasant with not much of particular import to report.

Autumn has definitely arrived and long fingered gloves were required from the outset. We sampled a couple of dark beers whose name escaped me.

huggy showed us his medal design.

« Reply #1704 on: 08 October, 2016, 11:08:01 pm »
Kudos to the ACME peloton out on the Cambridge 200 today (Jibbers and Carlos). Sounds like they were having a jolly good time with the Psst... fairies and some issues with pumps and cables....I will assume they did make it back to base!

I also managed to puncture on the way to the control, yes OD, on tubeless. The worst thing was it was on a deviation to my planned route which was a decision that turned out to be wrong on so many levels!

Anyway...Tubeless Tyres 0 Essex Roads 2

One will be on Durano Plus again ASAP.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1705 on: 09 October, 2016, 09:47:30 am »

I'm starting to feel sorry for you now.  You can only take the piss for so long. 

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1706 on: 09 October, 2016, 09:52:04 am »
You'd have loved it Steve, you could have got out your spar tyre and everything yesterday! LOL  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #1707 on: 09 October, 2016, 10:27:28 am »
You'd have loved it Steve, you could have got out your spar tyre and everything yesterday! LOL  :facepalm:

Spar do tyres, well I never. Good old village shops save the day.

« Reply #1708 on: 09 October, 2016, 10:36:44 am »

I'm starting to feel sorry for you now.  You can only take the piss for so long.
Yeah but.....One can only be stupid for so long as well :-)

On the plus side the tyres are very comfortable even with a tube in them  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1709 on: 09 October, 2016, 11:22:03 am »
As I mentioned in our text conversation Fred is getting yet more tyres, this time 700x40c semi knobblies ahead of the Shit Roads ride.  And his mudguards are coming off  :o

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1710 on: 09 October, 2016, 05:50:49 pm »
Just in case anyone wants to do something different next weekend [15/16th], or has young persons interested in planks-with-wheels...

My godson Tim Peters is the organiser of 'Hogtoberfest' at Hog Hill [Redbridge Cycle Centre, to give it its proper name]: Beer, Bands, Crazy People on Longboards.  :thumbsup: Makes Audax look Very Sensible. Free entry for spectators - might take the boys, or maybe ride down.

http://hogtoberfest.blogspot.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/events/544477199079748/

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1711 on: 13 October, 2016, 08:42:43 am »
The Maltster's Arms, Heybridge:

A local pub for local people featuring: old folk in a corner [and us too  ;D], drunken comedian propping up the bar, tolerant barmaid...ram-raided by the MEMWNS peloton.  :thumbsup:

Gourmet Park Scratchings, mostly variants on a chilli theme, including Pig of Doom.  :thumbsup:

Three excellent ales: Caledonian 'Autumn Red', Dark Star 'Hophead' and an Elgood's Mild.  :thumbsup:

44 miles of intermittent rain. Not so :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1712 on: 13 October, 2016, 09:48:01 am »
Oh my goodness, last night was a MEMWNS classic, those of you who missed out will live with the regret for the rest of your days ... or we could do it all over again - soon!

Firstly it was raining, after so much riding in warm dry weather it was a shock to the system.  In true huggy style he quickly persuaded the Witham peloton to forego my pointless loop out to the west as we left Danbury.  And then when we got to the Maltster's Arms he nearly had us heading off to a nicer looking pub  :o  ::-)

Just as I was finishing remonstrating with huggy the pub door was flung open and one of the locals Tomsk mentioned stood framed by the lights from within.

"Farcking hell!  We thought you was farcking Star Trek turning up!"

I quickly ascertained the gentleman was friendly, if a bit pissed, and went on to ascertain we couldn't get our bikes into the beer garden so carried on locking them to lamp posts.

The pub was like someone's front room and not a very nice front room at that - it was bloody brilliant!  I particularly liked the art ...

The locals made the usual enquiries of us "Where have you farcking come from then?"  And assured us they wouldn't nick our bikes from outside.  The young lady behind the bar looked after us beautifully.

A high spot of the evening was the discovery of Pig of Doom pork scratching

We also tried some of the other flavours.

Along with The Oddie in Colchester Heybridge's Maltster's Arms gets added to OD's List of Shit Pubs That Are So Good They Should Be Preserved For Eternity

I shall long remember yesterday evening, thanks for the company chaps, when can we go again?

« Reply #1713 on: 13 October, 2016, 10:04:11 am »
Sounds like a potential post Mighty Oak tasting session retreat

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1714 on: 13 October, 2016, 10:08:43 am »
Sounds like a potential post Mighty Oak tasting session retreat

Top idea!

« Reply #1715 on: 14 October, 2016, 07:45:17 am »
I know a number of the ACME crew are going to see Ned Boulting's Bikeology in Chelmsford on 20th Oct. I have a couple of tickets for the same event in Bury St Edmunds on 19th Oct that I can no longer use. Please do let me know if you would like them, details at:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=99919.0

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #1716 on: 15 October, 2016, 06:01:02 pm »
hmmm, wonder how far it is to ride around the other edge of all the routes....only one way to find out.
Just in case anyone else wondered.....270 km is the answer. A couple of small adjustments get ride of some COR on the Oyster and go through Stisted to miss the A 120 on the Knights Templar but otherwise it should be true to the outline of all 4 ACME Winter Rides. Luckily it's easy to make a 15km route from/to Witham which might make this a fun summer DIY which keeps you relatively close to home. (and all inside Essex as well if I am not mistaken)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17177486

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1717 on: 15 October, 2016, 08:09:44 pm »
Ace, though I'd probably give three mile hill a miss (though you can ride up the private road to Galleywood Common...  Does one of our rides actually go to Margaretting?

ETA: Ah, the Knights one....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1718 on: 15 October, 2016, 08:47:17 pm »
Yep, It's the Knights Templar one so not sure if the GPX is the final version at this stage.

I was wondering about that piece of road bit I see there are other options which shouldn't change distance by too much.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1719 on: 15 October, 2016, 09:04:10 pm »
There's a cycle path on the Chelmsford bound section but it finishes before the main car entrance.  My worry would be crossing the road, not sure how important Hylands is to the route, but from the Saddlery you could back track and head past Ivy Barns to Writtle. I'd opt for London Rd out of Maldon rather than the A414 if I could, quite a few options and plenty of time between now and then I guess :) tempted to ride this as a DIY in Nov to keep my 2nd round the year going...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1720 on: 15 October, 2016, 09:33:16 pm »
Turn right into the field immediately after the bridge on Maldon road just after mile 38. There is COR to be had to avoid riding down 3 mile hill*  :P

*you still need to cross it though, but I've never found that to be a problem
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1721 on: 15 October, 2016, 10:12:13 pm »
There's a cycle path on the Chelmsford bound section but it finishes before the main car entrance.  My worry would be crossing the road, not sure how important Hylands is to the route, but from the Saddlery you could back track and head past Ivy Barns to Writtle. I'd opt for London Rd out of Maldon rather than the A414 if I could, quite a few options and plenty of time between now and then I guess :) tempted to ride this as a DIY in Nov to keep my 2nd round the year going...
Yeah, plenty of time before that one comes around.

So are you doing a double RRtY this year?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1722 on: 15 October, 2016, 10:14:44 pm »
It would appear I have been since May...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1723 on: 15 October, 2016, 10:49:00 pm »
hehe....nutter....

« Reply #1724 on: 17 October, 2016, 04:27:30 pm »
In my stupid bid to complete an AAA SR I have signed up for

The Heartbeat 400  - 6th May (Same weekend as the G&Y Fields)
The 3 Coasts 600 - 17th June

Just thought I would put them out there in case anyone else from the Flatlands fancies a bit more up and down before LEL.