Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526359 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1975 on: 06 January, 2017, 10:29:02 am »
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #1976 on: 06 January, 2017, 12:05:13 pm »
Wow, Huggy can even persuade Carlos Fandango to model for him  ;D
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1977 on: 12 January, 2017, 08:53:58 am »
A very pleasant evening was had yesterday.  Myself astride Dakota set off from the Spa Road roundabout with AndyC33333333, BFC and huggy.  The Mighty North Hill seemed like hard work so it was nice to make it to The Spiritual Home.  As the Witham Peloton rolled up to the bike shed Oaky appeared and inside we found Tomsk and jibers.

I can't remember much of what we discussed nor what we drunk but I enjoyed it all the same.  I do remember FORWARD PLANNING being debated and some derision being heaped upon the score (now 10-5) so here is my score sheet to prove I'm not cheating ...

« Reply #1978 on: 12 January, 2017, 12:25:41 pm »
No, I'm sorry, I'm not having that.

You can't count a curry night at a venue TBA as a win for forward planning and nor can you count Epiphany.

If that were the case then you could simply fill in every Wednesday night with "A pub within cycling distance of Witham" and claim that as successful forward planning.  Oh and "Witham pubs" next week doesn't count either.  That can be a let as well.

That makes the score 7-5 and we can soon turn that around if necessary  :demon:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1979 on: 12 January, 2017, 12:43:51 pm »

You can't count a curry night at a venue TBA as a win for forward planning and nor can you count Epiphany.

If that were the case then you could simply fill in every Wednesday night with "A pub within cycling distance of Witham" and claim that as successful forward planning.  Oh and "Witham pubs" next week doesn't count either.  That can be a let as well.

And whose rulz are these?

Oh, something I have just remembered.  huggy needed some sort of AUK form signing, something to do with him becoming an organiser and being able to conduct weddings and burials along with organising bike rides; I'm sure I have these details correct.  Anyhow, Tomsk(*) had to sign the form, as you'd expect, and so did an ACME Officer.  So since he is now Trophy Holder we promoted AndyC333333 on the spot to ACME Bursar and he signed it!  You have competition when it comes to holding High Office!

(*)  I'm not terribly happy with Tomsk as I am holding him responsible to wrecking the plan to go to The Hurdlemakers  >:(  ...

Compasses LG then, ok folks?

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #1980 on: 12 January, 2017, 12:56:30 pm »

And whose rulz are these?

Oh, something I have just remembered.  huggy needed some sort of AUK form signing, something to do with him becoming an organiser and being able to conduct weddings and burials along with organising bike rides; I'm sure I have these details correct.  Anyhow, Tomsk(*) had to sign the form, as you'd expect, and so did an ACME Officer.  So since he is now Trophy Holder we promoted AndyC333333 on the spot to ACME Bursar and he signed it!  You have competition when it comes to holding High Office!

(*)  I'm not terribly happy with Tomsk as I am holding him responsible to wreaking the plan to go to The Hurdlemakers  >:(  ...

Compasses LG then, ok folks?

Don't forget OD that Ted is an MP for Chelmsford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1981 on: 12 January, 2017, 01:08:00 pm »
No he isn't.  And even if he was I can still set the FORWARD PLANNING rulz how the hell I like  ;D :smug:

The Retiree

« Reply #1982 on: 12 January, 2017, 01:11:32 pm »
No he isn't.  And even if he was I can still set the FORWARD PLANNING rulz how the hell I like  ;D :smug:

Oh yes he is, he's the Managing Partner of the Chelmsford office! ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1983 on: 12 January, 2017, 01:12:09 pm »
I'm unimpressed.

The Retiree

« Reply #1984 on: 12 January, 2017, 01:13:19 pm »
I'm unimpressed.

Because Ted's right about the incorrect scoring

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1985 on: 12 January, 2017, 01:14:32 pm »
Anyhow, what's this to you???  Have you turned up to any events covered by FORWARD PLANNING???

The Retiree

« Reply #1986 on: 12 January, 2017, 01:16:38 pm »
Anyhow, what's this to you???  Have you turned up to any events covered by FORWARD PLANNING???

Merely an observation it's really hard to attend FORWARD PLANNING events when you're retired........

« Reply #1987 on: 18 January, 2017, 09:38:12 am »
Folks, starting to think about Arrows, just wondering if anyone might be interested in a Thursday Afternoon/Evening start?

I quite fancy the Fens overnight and seeing some of the Northern sections in daylight. Not really done any planning on it yet but I would possibly book a Travelodge/Premier Inn in York for the Friday night and meet up with the rest of the teams on the Saturday morning (or potentially even get back home on Friday night)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1988 on: 18 January, 2017, 10:12:54 am »
Yes, why not all change actually...and I was thinking of giving Red Lodge a miss too [shoccckkkk!] as it's where we often lose an hour.

I think it was about 2009, or thereabouts, when I did a Thursday 6pm start with the Suffolk team. Getting the Fens done in the dark would be good, [need to find a 24 hour McDonalds], breakfast rendezvous at Sleaford 'spoons, Humber Bridge in daylight, stay at a travelodge/YHA in York then meet up for breakfast on Saturday with other teams.

Food for thought...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1989 on: 18 January, 2017, 01:13:40 pm »
Is that allowed, I thought it had to be a Friday morning start?

Overnight fens is a winner, my 400 home2home set off at 18:30, I used A14 services (at 23:00) the Whittlesey Garage and BP at Spalding iirc.  Some of the outbound route took me towards that junction in Cambs with the italian eatery on it (73km in), which I forgot about when planning, but would have been a far better option than the A14 services at 23:00 - there was only the garage and the McD's open, I think I spent the most money on a meal there! 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/La+Pergola+Restaurant/@52.1537366,0.0100396,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x189991bbd1a2f8dd!8m2!3d52.1540888!4d0.0124877

Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1990 on: 18 January, 2017, 02:14:32 pm »
Is that allowed, I thought it had to be a Friday morning start?

Technically, yes - but if you ask the organiser nicely...the bulk of the riding is still on Good Friday. At least, that worked for us back in the day - probably 3 organisers ago?

« Reply #1991 on: 18 January, 2017, 02:51:27 pm »
I think the problem with going to an Eatery early on is that you are always going to drop some time there relatively early in the ride as per Tomsks comment on Red Lodge. Not quite sure what the solution is though....ponder time....

« Reply #1992 on: 20 January, 2017, 10:34:49 am »
Folks, I need to do a 200 to keep my RRtY going (only this month and next to go) so I am thinking of doing a Dick Turpins or my Winterish DIY route next Saturday. Anyone interested in joining in?

My DIY has controls in Hadleigh, Red Lodge, Saffron Walden, Elsenham and Little Totham. Happy to share the details and I think most of you can easily jump on the route.

The Dick Turpins is probably better suited if a few are interested.

« Reply #1993 on: 20 January, 2017, 01:00:40 pm »
Anyone interested in joining in?

Quite possibly. I've had a few niggles with a knee, so I want to see how tomorrow's Kelvedon Oyster goes. If all ok, then I'd be up for second January 200km next weekend and kick start my second double RRTY. Otherwise I'll be resting until the Knights Templar, which will conclude the second RRTY of my first double.

That all sounds rather confusing! In short, I'll let you know on Sunday if I'm fit for next weekend :-)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #1994 on: 20 January, 2017, 01:06:23 pm »
 :thumbsup:

As for doubles and the like  :sick:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1995 on: 22 January, 2017, 02:34:33 pm »
Well my knee hurt like hell yesterday and even after a Ibuprofen at Mersea it didn't seem to get better - the pain only going when I pointed my right foot down in the pedal stroke... a pint of IPA and another Ibuprofen later at the Arrivee and it was fine on the way home.... I suspect it was mostly the cold causing the issue - knee OK today also!...

But in other news, good job I didn't fall for the bait and take the single speed in fixed guise - the chainline is well off with the new rear fitted, looks like the Surly hub I have with 135OLN is a 53.5mm chainline, the longest BB spindle I have here is 113mm and still to far (=a lot!) inboard to line up...  :facepalm:

For them that has a 68mm BB, what spindle length are you using? 

I'm going to put the 110mm UN55 in the bike and measure that to see what the difference it gives to teh UN55 113mm to then calculate a target length but any info from the experienced ones will help inform/validate my next wiggle order! :)

ETA: Miche use a 107 to get a 42mm chainline on their Primato, so (53.5-42)+107 = 118.5... so I guess I need a 118mm long UN55 ?
***paging Tomsk /HotBlack/Tippers... ***
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1996 on: 22 January, 2017, 04:11:17 pm »
What ? My expert opinion not good enough for you ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1997 on: 22 January, 2017, 04:27:07 pm »
What ? My expert opinion not good enough for you ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I thought I would seek the wisdom of the internet before paying for an answer....   ;D

Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1998 on: 22 January, 2017, 05:21:55 pm »
Not sure I can be much help - Poppy has a 110mm bottom bracket, Campag Record chainset, with a 120mm rear hub. Bernardette is on a new-fangled press-fit Hope. You can get a bit of wiggle room at the back, by screwing the cog on reversed to bring it in a bit, provided the chain clears the spokes though!

Another work-around I've used with yet another old chainset is to use washers [filed with a flat to fit the spider] between chainring and spider to move it out a bit - you'll have to use double-chainring bolts for the extra thickness to be held together. If you're way out then I guess a longer BB spindle will be the way to go.

« Reply #1999 on: 22 January, 2017, 05:42:45 pm »
My Day one with teh Surly Hub has the FSA 110.5mm BB and i have a 1mm spacer on the drive side (more so to get the crank off the Chainstay though).