Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526248 times)

Phil W

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2375 on: 07 April, 2017, 12:00:01 am »
Thanks for that. Hopefully a bit more before the cut off, so we won't be fighting for space.

« Reply #2376 on: 07 April, 2017, 09:59:25 pm »
ColVelo, the Non Audax long distance mob in Colchester have arranged a Paris - Roubaix screening at the Queen St Brewhouse from 12 noon on Sunday. I think I might pop over for a bit of Belgian Beer and cycling action, it is my favorite race of the year after all.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2377 on: 07 April, 2017, 10:06:34 pm »
Tempting!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2378 on: 08 April, 2017, 06:37:24 pm »
Yep, I'm going to head over there for about 2 ish I think

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2379 on: 09 April, 2017, 09:57:21 am »
Yep, I'm going to head over there for about 2 ish I think

Where's the best place to park for there, I don't know Colchester that well..
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2380 on: 09 April, 2017, 11:51:43 am »
I think the Osbourne Street Carpark at the Mesea Road Roundabout is probably best. There are a few small uncovered carparks around but I have never been able to find a park in them.

https://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/car-parks/colchester-osborne-street/

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2381 on: 09 April, 2017, 12:14:18 pm »
Ace see you there  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2382 on: 09 April, 2017, 08:52:05 pm »
Well that was a session and a half that you guys missed out on, Steve should add that to fwd planning!
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #2383 on: 09 April, 2017, 09:14:51 pm »

« Reply #2384 on: 13 April, 2017, 08:52:26 am »
Tippers has raised the prospect of ECEing the Thanet Platinum 110 at the beginning of September, riding the extra 100km before the start.

The first ferry from Tilbury is 5:50am, which gets into Gravesend at about 6am. That would give 3.5 hours to reach Herne Common for the start, which is circa 65-70km from Gravesend. Quite feasible, if a little tight. Although with some forewarning I would hope a start after 9:30 for the calendar event would be accommodated if we had any delays.

It'll mean an early start, but the finish is at a microbrewery, with a return journey by train via Stratford.

Any others interested?

@Tippers/Jibers - are there any issues getting space on the ferry, especially on the first one of the day? I'd aim to meet you in Tilbury.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2385 on: 13 April, 2017, 10:45:06 am »
Although with some forewarning I would hope a start after 9:30 for the calendar event would be accommodated if we had any delays.

Not a problem for me - just let me know on the day if you're going to be late.

Thank you citoyen. I'm hopeful that we'll have sufficient time, but I do get nervous when the buffer is quite small.

« Reply #2386 on: 13 April, 2017, 12:21:40 pm »
Tippers has raised the prospect of ECEing the Thanet Platinum 110 at the beginning of September, riding the extra 100km before the start.

@Tippers/Jibers - are there any issues getting space on the ferry, especially on the first one of the day? I'd aim to meet you in Tilbury.
I think you will find Jibers has raised the prospect of an ECE and I have very much declined the idea  ;D

« Reply #2387 on: 13 April, 2017, 01:45:06 pm »
Oh yes ... your response was cunningly hidden within a quote in the Thanet Platinum 110 thread. That wouldn't stand up in a court of law though ... and I'm sure with the fitness you'll have built up during LEL you'll just be looking for opportunities to put it to good use ... but I'll leave that discussion until August  :)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2388 on: 13 April, 2017, 02:19:51 pm »

I think you will find Jibers has raised the prospect of an ECE and I have very much declined the idea  ;D

Yeah  :facepalm: My bad LOL :)

Yeah it's about 40km to the Ferry for me, perhaps just under 2 hours subject to wind etc though I suspect it might be a little quicker if we are carrying LEL fitness in to September.  My current route is about 114km but I haven't fettled the kent side much other than a rough  plagiarism (from memory) of a couple of existing rides so I expect that to change by a few km either side.

Some ferry times don't run on a Saturday morning, but even if we rocked up 30 mins late at the start I don't think it would be a problem given the overall time limit on the event & ECE... subject to agreement with the org of course!  :thumbsup:

I've never been keen enough to get teh 05:50 ferry so no idea on how busy it might be, but I suspect there will be less push chairs etc, so should be OK.
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2389 on: 17 April, 2017, 05:44:30 pm »
Still plenty of space available for the Velodrome track session at 8pm on 26th April, why not come along and bring a friend? All abilities accommodated between the two instructors we have for the evening.
This is likely to be the last track session I book before the winter so don't miss out if you fancy it!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #2390 on: 18 April, 2017, 03:23:46 pm »
Putting this here as obviously acme folk live round the centre of the known universe aka Witham. Can anyone recommend a campsite either cycleable or train and cycle for a escape work early Friday and back for some family time Saturday escape. Just after a mini adventure to break up monotony of work.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2391 on: 18 April, 2017, 03:36:06 pm »
Putting this here as obviously acme folk live round the centre of the known universe aka Witham. Can anyone recommend a campsite either cycleable or train and cycle for a escape work early Friday and back for some family time Saturday escape. Just after a mini adventure to break up monotony of work.

I've cycle camped on all of the below,  all within about 30 miles of Witham.

http://www.edwardstonewhitehorse.co.uk/camping.html
http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/essex/greatdunmow/sewardshallfarm
http://www.gosfieldlake.co.uk/camping.html

It's a few years since I've been to them, though.

Seward's hall farm is a camping and caravanning club site - not sure if that implies some membership requirement (I'm not a member, but when we stayed, it was for a MEMWNS christmas do, and may have been arranged specially by someone who was a member).

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2392 on: 18 April, 2017, 03:46:17 pm »
Also from the main MEMWNS thread ...

One Wednesday evening once the weather gets a bit warmer I propose we DO THIS!  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2393 on: 18 April, 2017, 04:10:10 pm »
Seward's hall farm is a camping and caravanning club site - not sure if that implies some membership requirement (I'm not a member, but when we stayed, it was for a MEMWNS christmas do, and may have been arranged specially by someone who was a member).

It's a Certified Site, which confusingly isn't quite the same thing as a Club Site.  You (for certain values of you) do need to be a member to use it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2394 on: 18 April, 2017, 04:20:04 pm »

It's a Certified Site, which confusingly isn't quite the same thing as a Club Site.  You (for certain values of you) do need to be a member to use it.

I booked the site a few years back for the Christmas Do.  I wasn't a C&CC member and still am not.  Its worth giving them a ring and seeing if you can blag yourself onto the site. It's privately owned so the owner might choose to turn a blind eye to club rules. 

The site also has an airstrip which could be handy if you're planning to fly there in your private jet.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2395 on: 18 April, 2017, 05:52:05 pm »
Also from the main MEMWNS thread ...

One Wednesday evening once the weather gets a bit warmer I propose we DO THIS!  :thumbsup:

I'm almost there... just need the bivi and sleeping bag after I procured a nice Alpkit mat in their recent sale....  open to recommendations, though I quite liked the look of the Terra Nova Jupiter though it might not be that useful on an Audax... and is quite expensive.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2396 on: 18 April, 2017, 07:03:04 pm »
Thanks. OD the mid week trip unfortunately doesn't work with my work. Think I used to deal with Seward's hall through work.

« Reply #2397 on: 18 April, 2017, 07:34:09 pm »
That's a  strange coincidence.  The local campsite for us is here http://retreatfarm.co.uk/camping/

They have camping areas, Indian Tipis, self catering or bed and breakfast.

It also has a private landing strip!

It is run by very nice people, Richard and Jane Warner

It is right next door to TMNH and on the road that avoids it

Jan
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2398 on: 18 April, 2017, 07:45:26 pm »

I booked the site a few years back for the Christmas Do.  I wasn't a C&CC member and still am not.  Its worth giving them a ring and seeing if you can blag yourself onto the site. It's privately owned so the owner might choose to turn a blind eye to club rules.

Checking of membership seems to be very variable.  I expect demographics, and it being off-season helps.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2399 on: 20 April, 2017, 02:31:24 pm »
It was surprisingly cold last night but the seven us who turned up at the Spa Road roundabout weren't surprised when Gavin turned up wearing shorts and no gloves  ;D

Anyhow we had a brisk ride west, then north, then east, north a bit more and east before finally turning south towards the pub. As soon as Oaky and huggy saw a sign saying "Stisted" the route I had lovingly prepared was abandoned. However Grey Sheep and I pressed on thru a number of villages with "Green" in their name. We finally got The Onley half a pint after the rest of the peloton by which time we had 30 miles on the clock.

The pub was fine, the owners have clearly spent a fortune on the renovations. But despite their efforts they had failed to load their specially brewed beers onto Untappd  ::-)

The conversation revolved around the usual topics except for me and huggy bullying Straggles and The Doctor's Dad into coming to the velodrome next week. huggy and Tomsk did a roaring trade in jerseys, brevet cards and AUK badges. The pub owners are going to be well shocked when their bar staff turn up for work today in ACME kit.

Did I mention how cold it was?  Brrrrrrr!