Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526321 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3250 on: 03 September, 2018, 11:13:13 am »
I'm liking my new ACME gilet.  Ordinarily I take an XL in sensible sizes.  I chose an XXXL  ::-)  which is a tiny bit loose but fits well under a merino jersey and several other thin layers - I've even slept in it  :smug:

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3251 on: 03 September, 2018, 12:44:07 pm »
I'm liking my new ACME gilet.  Ordinarily I take an XL in sensible sizes.  I chose an XXXL  ::-)  which is a tiny bit loose but fits well under a merino jersey and several other thin layers - I've even slept in it  :smug:

I`m glad it fits over your nighty :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3252 on: 03 September, 2018, 12:55:59 pm »

I`m glad it fits over your nighty :thumbsup:

I slept in nothing but my ACME gilet  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3253 on: 03 September, 2018, 01:09:04 pm »
My eyes, my eyes...
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #3254 on: 06 September, 2018, 12:09:24 pm »
Up on the Catwalk

It's hard to believe how time flies but it was the autumn MEMWNS fashion display at the Spiritual Home again last night.  This meant moving indoors from the Epiphany Field to the Green Room.

As usual, it was amateur models only so the Lynx had to sit it out but at least he was there to give tips on how to glide through the full turn and generally dole out compliments and advice.

The star of the new season was the re-modelled ACME gilet; a bold statement in its colourways but rooted in practicality.  The only slight niggle I had with mine was that the size label had clearly been misprinted, how clumsy to type M as XXXL !

Our models for the night were Tomsk, Huggy, the Hustler, NBFD, Jem, Jan Onedin, Christopher Walken, Josser and OD.  Sadly, Huggy's eagerly anticipated collection of daring leisure wear was not ready for the show but he hopes to have it completed in time for the spring show.  It remains to be seen whether NBFD can sprinkle his design stardust over his proposed formal collection in time for Epiphany/nuptials.  His ACME bow tie is sure to be a triumph.

With my usual late arrival, I was not able to sample everything but Snowdonia by Purple Moose Brewery was the clear winner of the Quaffers' Choice Award - anything that arrives in a huge jug is always going to have an advantage.

After the excitement of the fashion show we moved onto the business of this weekend's Fenland Friends and the Dutch Trip.  The Lynx was frantically looking at Sunday train timetables from Lincoln and points south as he planned his left turn.  Meanwhile Onedin and NBFD, fresh from their Dick Turpin's Dining Experience, were poring over menus and moaning about the "Michelin desert of the Fens".  At one point I thought we might have some fisticuffs when NBFD proposed that they pre-order a Montrachet for their shellfish course on Saturday lunchtime.  He should know by now that Onedin is all about the Pouilly Fuisse when it comes to chardonnay and lobster. At least they both agreed on Saturday evening's claret which will be decanted as they pass through the prior control.

The Dutch Trip seems to be coming along nicely.  As soon as Walken remembers who is actually going he will be able to put the final arrangements into place.  He is in danger of becoming as well organised as Huggy and just look where that has landed Huggy.  Expect Walken to be organising far more if he can't learn to buffoon around like the rest of us - OD being the grand master of buffoonery and the example to us all.

For the first time it really felt like summer was over.  Despite being a warm night, it was dark there and dark back and I was almost glad to be in civvies as I sat astride my toy bike.  In a change from normal practice we engaged in a game of hare and hounds on the way home - more accurately tortoise and hounds.  I set off a few minutes before everyone to gain a head start but was soon caught as I painfully dragged myself the 12k back to the office.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3255 on: 06 September, 2018, 02:16:39 pm »
Nice one ted!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!
For the second week in a row I had a badger encounter, they are clearly out to get us, take care!  Last Wednesday myself and BFC narrowly missed Mr & Mrs Badger, they were about 2 metres ahead of our front wheels.  Yesterday evening myself and Nik's Nick missed a large single badger by less than a metre.  Remember, a badger has brought Tomsk down resulting in a battered face.  And a few years earlier huggy, whilst ascending TMNH, had a close encounter with Brock who then turned round to try to bite huggy's front tyre - it was very funny to watch.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3256 on: 06 September, 2018, 07:55:33 pm »
ACME Awards Evening thread started over in 'Audax' and PBP 'Pubinar' on the PBP sub-board.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #3257 on: 10 September, 2018, 09:34:19 am »
To Jane, Karl and Chris,

Sorry I left you guys behind in the dark en route to Boston! Wasn’t sure if you were going to sleep or not. Anyway I hope made it safely to the finish!

Best wishes
Dean
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #3258 on: 10 September, 2018, 03:15:15 pm »
To Jane, Karl and Chris,

Sorry I left you guys behind in the dark en route to Boston! Wasn’t sure if you were going to sleep or not. Anyway I hope made it safely to the finish!

Best wishes
Dean

No worries Dean. Carl wasn't with us at that point - he'd spotted a luxury audax hotel before even Lincoln and left there to sleep. Chris, Andy and I had planned a bivvy around Lincoln but various things got in the way and we plodded on to Lincoln, stopping for an hour or so in Muccy D's. From there we went right through just making the most of the stops. Finished at about 8.15pm I think.
Good to see you again  :)

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #3259 on: 10 September, 2018, 03:41:44 pm »
Oh yes, I remember Carl stopped at the first bus shelter, I meant Andy. My brain might wake up soon.

I followed Ian and that other guy until I stopped to... water a hedge and then never saw them again. Rode the last 200km on my own  with an extended stay for a second cup of tea at Red Lodge to make it back to Dunmow at about 17:30.

Was good seeing and riding with you too. Have a great time in the Netherlands .

Dean.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3260 on: 11 September, 2018, 07:28:51 pm »
ACME Awards Evening thread started over in 'Audax' and PBP 'Pubinar' on the PBP sub-board.

Change of date: Saturday 3rd November.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3261 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:43:14 am »
Yesterday evening could have seen the start of a phenomenon, a real live THING, people are actually getting in their cars and driving out to the target pub just so they can spend time with us!  First Laura aka Mrs huggy turns up then seconds later Joss appears.

If this carries on we’ll be able to sell tickets, I reckon what folks will get is a mash up of the Jeremy Kyle Show, Loose Women and Top Gear when Clarkson and Co we’re doing it.

Another badger sighting on the way home, three weeks on the trot, something is going on, be careful out there.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3262 on: 13 September, 2018, 09:10:14 am »
something is going on

You may need to construct one of these.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3263 on: 13 September, 2018, 09:33:57 am »
something is going on

It was about this time a few years ago when I met my Black and White Striped Nemesis ... Somewhere here there must be an expert on the critters - do they go on a pre-winter feeding frenzy? [Like squirrels hoarding hazelnuts - they seem to lose all sense and you see a lot of flattened ones on the road in the autumn]. Maybe the young ones leave their setts and strike out on their own?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3264 on: 13 September, 2018, 09:47:27 am »
something is going on

Hmmm, I’m not sure you’ve quite grasped the nature of the threat badgers pose.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3265 on: 13 September, 2018, 10:05:47 am »
something is going on

Hmmm, I’m not sure you’ve quite grasped the nature of the threat badgers pose.

badger
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3266 on: 13 September, 2018, 10:18:04 am »
Have you stopped taking your medication again?  Remember what happened the last time.

« Reply #3267 on: 20 September, 2018, 12:53:42 pm »
Gone Forrin'

The (very) Eastern splinter group visited two establishments yesterday evening - Café Harwich at Hoek and the Riva Bar on the Stena Britannica.

After a slightly longer ride than usual (105km into a headwind), we arrived at Café Harwich and immediately guzzled pints of Amstel - GS had been enticing us since the outskirts of Den Haag with descriptions of the ice cold pint of Carlsberg in Ice Cold in Alex so we were more than ready.  At this point, there were four of us (Huggy and Jibber were also present) but we were soon joined by the Lynx and Jem, fresh from their diversion to Maasluis, no doubt in search of more Dubbels and Trippels.   We sampled Tsingtao in Ocean City over dinner and Heineken, Lagunitas IPA and Murphy's in the Riva.  Nothing could beat that first well-earned pint though, making Amstel the Quaffers' Choice.

The discussion mainly centred around a heated debate over who had managed to hitch the best tow through the howling headwind.  Points were being awarded for cheek, friendliness/attractiveness of tower, type of machine and duration but we all agreed that the couple on the electric bikes who had towed four of us across the Dunes almost to Hoek were the clear winners.  Before they came on the scene we were chewing our stems trying to reach 15kph, after Huggy had jumped on their wheels and gathered us all up we were cruising along at 25kph - magic.  At some point the Lynx and Jem disappeared off to the outside deck to re-enact a famous scene from Titanic - not sure which one but fortunately no lifeboats were involved given the storm raging outside.  Eventually, it was just Jibber and I left to reflect on another MEMWNs evening.  At least it didn't take long to get home to bed. 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3268 on: 20 September, 2018, 12:57:59 pm »
How rough (sea wise) was the crossing?

« Reply #3269 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:04:10 pm »
So glad you added the qualification....
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #3270 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:08:20 pm »

It was fine.  I went outside for a while and there was a fair bit of weather about, if a ship that size is being moved around there must be but we weren't exactly lashing ourselves to the ship - not for that reason anyway.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3271 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:21:23 pm »

It was fine.  I went outside for a while and there was a fair bit of weather about, if a ship that size is being moved around there must be but we weren't exactly lashing ourselves to the ship - not for that reason anyway.

Oh, that's disappointing!

« Reply #3272 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:27:14 pm »
You didn't have to cycle through it yesterday though  :sick:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3273 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:33:24 pm »
You didn't have to cycle through it yesterday though  :sick:

True but I was looking forward to epic tales of how the ACME goes Dutch Full Fat Experience Warriors (*) braved hell and high water on the high seas, led obviously, by two salty sea dogs, them being you and GS obviously.  Said tales could have been a whole new chapter in The ACME / Mid-Essex yacf Book of Tall Tales (**)

(*) as opposed the lightweight Weekend Warriors
(**) not to be confused with the Little Book of Big Ideas

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3274 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:50:46 pm »
Gone Forrin'

The (very) Eastern splinter group visited two establishments yesterday evening - Café Harwich at Hoek and the Riva Bar on the Stena Britannica.

After a slightly longer ride than usual (105km into a headwind), we arrived at Café Harwich and immediately guzzled pints of Amstel - GS had been enticing us since the outskirts of Den Haag with descriptions of the ice cold pint of Carlsberg in Ice Cold in Alex so we were more than ready.  At this point, there were four of us (Huggy and Jibber were also present) but we were soon joined by the Lynx and Jem, fresh from their diversion to Maasluis, no doubt in search of more Dubbels and Trippels.   We sampled Tsingtao in Ocean City over dinner and Heineken, Lagunitas IPA and Murphy's in the Riva.  Nothing could beat that first well-earned pint though, making Amstel the Quaffers' Choice.

The discussion mainly centred around a heated debate over who had managed to hitch the best tow through the howling headwind.  Points were being awarded for cheek, friendliness/attractiveness of tower, type of machine and duration but we all agreed that the couple on the electric bikes who had towed four of us across the Dunes almost to Hoek were the clear winners.  Before they came on the scene we were chewing our stems trying to reach 15kph, after Huggy had jumped on their wheels and gathered us all up we were cruising along at 25kph - magic.  At some point the Lynx and Jem disappeared off to the outside deck to re-enact a famous scene from Titanic - not sure which one but fortunately no lifeboats were involved given the storm raging outside.  Eventually, it was just Jibber and I left to reflect on another MEMWNs evening.  At least it didn't take long to get home to bed.

I got lost again heading to my cabin!  :facepalm:

Here's the prize winning couple (Laughing their heads off at being able to help us out!)  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Joergen