Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526201 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4525 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:36:39 pm »
Jossser did King Alfred Way last year. It was harder than expected. Big ruts were a big problem

My friend Alan and his son Ted are doing the KAW this week. Very few pictures and those few tell a tale....

I'd take an e-mountain bike....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4526 on: 27 May, 2021, 10:11:53 pm »
There's quite an informative faceache page of riders doing/done/planning to do it. Bit of a quagmire up there last weekend for obv reasons lol

eg Latest report from today reports "Day 2 Wantage to Farnham. 101kms. , Trails are almost dry the whole route. Just a couple of slippery bits. "

Ridgeway itself reported as usable with a few puddles to dodge

Not a bad FB group as things go...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/244929213312364
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4527 on: 28 May, 2021, 08:37:05 am »
There's quite an informative faceache page of riders doing/done/planning to do it. Bit of a quagmire up there last weekend for obv reasons lol

eg Latest report from today reports "Day 2 Wantage to Farnham. 101kms. , Trails are almost dry the whole route. Just a couple of slippery bits. "

Ridgeway itself reported as usable with a few puddles to dodge

Not a bad FB group as things go...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/244929213312364

When I rode much of the Ridgeway in April it was mostly dry. To judge by the deep ruts on byway parts and the roughness of bridleway sections, it'd be very slow going if wet. I'd want proper big knobbly tyres to feel secure too. Conti Doublefighters were ok for me, but I did have a few 'moments' on the odd softer/loose patch. I had to lift the bike out of the 'wrong' rut occasionally (there are plenty to choose from on the wider parts: tractors, 4x4s, motorbikes and bicycles - maybe eight ruts of varying width and depth?) and had a low speed topple when I clipped the side of one! Some of the rutted byway parts are very wide though, so if you guess correctly you can ride on the edge and not get trapped between ruts and ditch/hedge etc. Where horses had churned it up and it had set like concrete, it made for some very tough climbs and bone-jarring descents.

Early one morning, I met a young chap on a gravel bike doing the KAW who was not happy 'cos he was:
a) Frozen, having bivvied, (as I did), but without enough warm gear.
b) Unsure of where the next stop for food would be. (On the high and remote part.) Having crossed the Thames and passed though Goring about 45 minutes before, I was able to reassure. (And I had the waterproof Harvey's map.  :smug:)
c) On narrow-ish tyres, leading to slower riding and getting cold (see above).
d) ... And his pal had gone off ahead and left him.

I'd be very conservative with working out daily distances and leave a lot of slack, which can always be spent on a leisurely pub/cafe stop.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4528 on: 28 May, 2021, 08:51:47 am »
Having been extremely keen on the KAW, I now realise that every cyclist in the south of England felt much the same.  From the social media pages it looks like those pictures of the queue at the Hillary Step on Everest.  The original concept, as discussed briefly at the SH, was for a September campaign to avoid the rush and with the hope of being able to mix a bit of camping and hotelling.  I was thinking 4 days and 3/4 nights.  The problem is that the more you go off season, the more you run the risk of weather issued.  It was an eye opener even on the little trails of East Essex last week with a mixture of dry sections that were rutted from traffic in the wet weeks and still wet sections where the ruts were forming permanent mud puddles.  I am not sure 300k of that would be my idea of a holiday.

I wonder if a Peddars Way - Icknield Way - Ridgeway route might be a possibility.  Jiber and I also looked at an East Anglian coastal tour with a Peddars Way return.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4529 on: 28 May, 2021, 08:54:40 am »
Yes, speaking personally I'd be keener on a more East Anglian based adventure in September. 

« Reply #4530 on: 28 May, 2021, 08:59:26 am »
I'm not against the KAW, but I agree with the above. The FB group Jibs linked is absolutely rammed with zillions of posts from the zillions of people doing it, so I would be happy to do a mini tour elsewhere. Perhaps something that isn't so bike choice critical? Something doable come rain, wind or shine.

On a positive note, summer appears to be making an appearance now, so hopefully everything will dry out nicely. I reckon the MTB ride I did last weekend was as muddy as any I've ever done - even in the middle of winter!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #4531 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:02:31 am »
Perhaps something that isn't so bike choice critical?

Yes, you can be very critical of bike choice  ;D

Bobb, as long as it's bikepacking micro adventure, I'm in.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4532 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:06:35 am »
Perhaps something that isn't so bike choice critical?

Yes, you can be very critical of bike choice  ;D

A bikepacking micro adventure sounds great  :thumbsup:  I bet that's some trendy concept which has just been invented.  I bet bobb is all over it already and will be along in a minute to give us the lowdown...

« Reply #4533 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:10:34 am »
The Isle of Wight offers some similar off road adventures / terrain to the South Downs but a little off the popular radar. A group of us did a mini 3 day off roading adventure , oh about a decade ago.

Having been in New Forest last week I can also recommend the waymarked forest trails that have been put together.  Good fast gravel tracks. They say no camping but I’m sure discrete bivvy s overnight would not be noticed.

https://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/app/uploads/2018/01/New-Forest-Cycle-Routes-Map.pdf

The trans Cambrian way in mid Wales is recommended.  Another three day ride with train stations at both ends.

An off road coast to coast from St Bees to Robin Hoods bay is also a good one.  A luggage service in Kirkby Stephen can transport you to start / from finish, plus overnight bags during ride. This is a 6 day ride, least that’s how many days we did it over back in 2005.

Pennine Bridleway is also another good off road outing.  Starts in White
Peak. They might have even completed the section to Scotland by now. Rode that in 2008.

The Chilterns off course offers plenty of bridleway you can link together for a multi day adventure,

« Reply #4534 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:31:23 am »

Die!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #4535 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:46:14 am »

Die!

5 bag dinosaur  ::-)

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #4536 on: 28 May, 2021, 02:50:51 pm »
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4537 on: 28 May, 2021, 02:57:22 pm »
https://www.secondcitydivide.cc/

Another splendid example of an East Anglian centric ride  ;D  Although Lightening Phil may redeem himself by towing the Isle of Wight round to the Blackwater Estuary.

« Reply #4538 on: 28 May, 2021, 03:14:50 pm »
Josser is trying to kill us I think.  The route passes within about 3 miles of my mum's house but after that it is very steep and very remote.

This is as far as Jiber and I got with our East Anglian tour https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34141243

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4539 on: 28 May, 2021, 03:27:19 pm »
Josser is trying to kill us I think...

It's cos he's a leg end and we're not.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4540 on: 28 May, 2021, 03:28:20 pm »
This is as far as Jiber and I got with our East Anglian tour https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34141243

314 miles  :o  How many days?

« Reply #4541 on: 28 May, 2021, 03:37:42 pm »
https://www.secondcitydivide.cc/

Another splendid example of an East Anglian centric ride  ;D  Although Lightening Phil may redeem himself by towing the Isle of Wight round to the Blackwater Estuary.

If you release the underwater chain attached to the Needles. That might just be possible.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #4542 on: 28 May, 2021, 03:58:05 pm »
Josser is trying to kill us I think...

It's cos he's a leg end and we're not.

https://anglianwaterparks.co.uk/alton-water-park/cycling

Maybe this is more suitable? They have a 4 mile circuit and for those with a few more miles in their legs, a more challenging 8 mile off-road circuit. And it’s in East Anglia.

Looks pretty gnarly…
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4543 on: 28 May, 2021, 04:01:20 pm »
 :thumbsup:

felstedrider

« Reply #4544 on: 28 May, 2021, 08:49:11 pm »
Bumped into Bernster on the Cambridge Busway cycle path this morning.  Both of us on 200k perms.

Nice day for it.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4545 on: 29 May, 2021, 09:16:44 am »
More fuel...
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=51.37248702218248%2C-1.324587882845445&z=10&fbclid=IwAR1RbrLPhDhBh8ML0kKLs7kM4uYLw-8VxKzRn_WwYQwAe3TcYCIvpDDVJ4o&mid=1oWVjQK_wRcOmlrOGriD9Xa8mZZaJW965

Also I think I did start planning a North downs/KAW/South downs route which would involve quite a few days though... though I can only find the North Downs Way route at the moment... my loose plan was to ferry across to Tilbury, then head to Farnham-ish pick up KAW then back vis South Downs, somehow along to Dover to pick up other end of North Downs way and back to Tilbury...

Regards,

Joergen

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #4546 on: 30 May, 2021, 01:07:17 pm »
Bumped into Bernster on the Cambridge Busway cycle path this morning.  Both of us on 200k perms.

Nice day for it.

Very nice to see a friendly face from ACME whilst out and about - I was thinking after we'd met that the Cambridge Busway is probably one of the more well used sections of DIY route, so I guess if I was going to see someone, it would more than likely be there  :thumbsup:

I managed to stay dry for 195km of my 200k ride, then the heavens opened for the last bit  ::-)

« Reply #4547 on: 30 May, 2021, 01:56:34 pm »
Did you miss me?  :-*

Out with a GoPro Hero 7 Black now, made this short video*.
It shows a couple of close passes less than a mile from home. I'd report it to the Essex Plod, or Southend Plod, but I had already removed the footage from my device, something that they frown upon!
I'll try to remember to review first before deleting.

*Video is deleted so I can report it!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4548 on: 30 May, 2021, 03:57:29 pm »

Out with a GoPro Hero 7 Black now, made this short video https://youtu.be/0VzcbmtEa1k.
It shows a couple of close passes less than a mile from home. I'd report it to the Essex Plod, or Southend Plod, but I had already removed the footage from my device, something that they frown upon!
I'll try to remember to review first before deleting.

If you've still got the files then you can still submit a report (they don't have to be retained on the device even though they say to!)  but if you do submit a report, take the youtube video off line :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4549 on: 30 May, 2021, 04:37:31 pm »

Yes!  Where an earth have you been?  :-*