Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526353 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4600 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:44:59 pm »
:facepalm: I've broken another toe!

Whose was it?

« Reply #4601 on: 22 June, 2021, 01:12:48 pm »
Abuse or compliment?  ???
Raining it was and I'm riding towards Hullbridge when a taxi passenger yells out "you need to shave your legs!"
 ::-) I made a video about it. https://youtu.be/lM8RvInCRGw What do you think of the music and the repeating of it?
Speaking of video Youtube emailed me and called me a Youtube Creator.  :smug:

Whose was it?
I'll give you three guesses but you shouldn't need more than one.  ;)

« Reply #4602 on: 24 June, 2021, 06:00:04 pm »
My legs are shot!  :(
My GoPro got thrown to the ground while descending Woodhill to Great Baddow! The cheap extension arm snapped. It survived though, mostly unscathed.  :thumbsup: A new GoPro, official GoPro, handlebar mount has been delivered.  ;D It is exactly the same, except for the rubber inserts, as the cheap mount I bought with the cheap extension arm, the new rubber reducer blocks fit the cheap mount perfectly too!  ::-)
And another video is posted, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFv1RVl5TYE::-)

« Reply #4603 on: 25 June, 2021, 02:40:12 pm »
Last year I rode the 'Downs Overnighter' in a day, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The first third of the ride is along a disused railway from Guildford to Shoreham, flat, sheltered and fairly quick going. The second third is westwards along the South Downs Way. A bit more lumpy. The final third is a real mixture of paths, bridleways and quiet lanes back to Guildford.

I'm thinking of riding this once more, either at the end of July or sometime in August. I parked up on the outskirts of Guildford. It's 180km so needs an early start.

I rode with 55mm tyres, but gravel tyres would be fine. Any interest?

https://bikepacking.com/routes/downs-overnighter/

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4604 on: 28 June, 2021, 04:35:24 pm »
Last year I rode the 'Downs Overnighter' in a day, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The first third of the ride is along a disused railway from Guildford to Shoreham, flat, sheltered and fairly quick going. The second third is westwards along the South Downs Way. A bit more lumpy. The final third is a real mixture of paths, bridleways and quiet lanes back to Guildford.

I'm thinking of riding this once more, either at the end of July or sometime in August. I parked up on the outskirts of Guildford. It's 180km so needs an early start.

I rode with 55mm tyres, but gravel tyres would be fine. Any interest?

https://bikepacking.com/routes/downs-overnighter/

Yes, I'd be up for this! Away for two weeks at the end of August, so good to do before then!

« Reply #4605 on: 29 June, 2021, 09:16:28 am »
Yes, I'd be up for this! Away for two weeks at the end of August, so good to do before then!

Excellent. Josser is also interested, but finding a suitable day might be problematic. We could pencil in Sun 1st August as a starting point. Any other takers?

Separately, there is an old bicycle event happening in a park in Chelmsford on Sunday 4th July. I cannot find any details about this by searching online. Do any of the locals know which park, and when this might be happening?

« Reply #4606 on: 29 June, 2021, 10:00:32 am »
Separately, there is an old bicycle event happening in a park in Chelmsford on Sunday 4th July. I cannot find any details about this by searching online. Do any of the locals know which park, and when this might be happening?

Dunno. The Chelmo Carnival is on the 4th of July which goes through Central, West and Admiral's parks, but I can't imagine it would be that. There's nothing listed for that day in Hylands Park, so no idea where else it might be. There are of course lots of other little parks, but I can't be arsed searching all of them  :P

Edit: The only remotely bicycle related event I can find on that date is a Triathlon at Writtle college. Probably not that then....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #4607 on: 29 June, 2021, 04:15:51 pm »
Speaking of Chelmsford, I was passing through today. First time there since 2019 and lots of changes, the Parkway bridge is gone, lots of new homes on the way to Sandford, and that poxy little bridge in one of the parks has been replaced with a spiffing new bridge that is twice as wide and the cyclists dismount signs are no more.  ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4608 on: 29 June, 2021, 04:26:24 pm »

Excellent. Josser is also interested, but finding a suitable day might be problematic. We could pencil in Sun 1st August as a starting point. Any other takers?

I'd love to join you on the August fun but my appointment is the day after so suspect I wont be able to.... I think this is what you after regarding the old bikes though!

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=4439957682694585&set=gm.4246113275445512

Ed Knight
9 JlsuttdnretSfSu pastonn s1occ6:i1reod9c  ·
I hope this is the place for this announcement. I am offering a Lecture and showing my collection of old bicycles from the period 1818, to 1940. In an active ridable, wide range of machines to illustrate the development of the Cycle. The display will take place as part of Chelmsford Carnival. The venue is in central park near the Cafe and Lake. I am also expecting some other collectors to bring some of their machines. I hope you can find your way there on July 4th. commencing about 11:00 and concluding about 16:00.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4609 on: 29 June, 2021, 06:49:44 pm »
Speaking of Chelmsford, I was passing through today. First time there since 2019 and lots of changes, the Parkway bridge is gone, lots of new homes on the way to Sandford, and that poxy little bridge in one of the parks has been replaced with a spiffing new bridge that is twice as wide and the cyclists dismount signs are no more.  ;D

Been many years since I last suffered Chelmsford.  When you speak of "Parkway bridge is gone" are you referring to what I recall as the Army and Navy roundabout?

Last time I was up that way there were works being undertaken.    Mind you I also remember being stuck for hours in traffic on the Chelmer Road as the A12 didn't exist.

« Reply #4610 on: 29 June, 2021, 06:57:37 pm »
 :facepalm: Yes, Army & Navy bridge. Bit of a shock rolling up to the roundabout, I thought I had taken a wrong turn and then recognised the roundabout and the Evans store. Then I remembered reading about the bridge being dismantled and removed.
Rumours are that they* want to fill in the pedestrian subway and make people walk around the Army & Navy on the surface!

*They being The Chelmsford Man

« Reply #4611 on: 29 June, 2021, 07:09:58 pm »
I think this is what you after regarding the old bikes though!

Yep, that's it. Thank you.

Re Downs Overnighter, I'm thinking of riding it again in September, so that might be an option.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4612 on: 29 June, 2021, 07:23:13 pm »
I think this is what you after regarding the old bikes though!

Yep, that's it. Thank you.

Re Downs Overnighter, I'm thinking of riding it again in September, so that might be an option.

Hopefully!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4613 on: 30 June, 2021, 10:36:02 am »
:facepalm: Yes, Army & Navy bridge. Bit of a shock rolling up to the roundabout, I thought I had taken a wrong turn and then recognised the roundabout and the Evans store. Then I remembered reading about the bridge being dismantled and removed.
Rumours are that they* want to fill in the pedestrian subway and make people walk around the Army & Navy on the surface!

*They being The Chelmsford Man

If I remember correctly, the works I saw last time I was there was to reinforce and futureproof the subway...  :facepalm:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4614 on: 01 July, 2021, 12:15:49 am »
Ed's just posted that the Chelmsford carnival date has moved to 1st August.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4615 on: 01 July, 2021, 06:53:41 am »
Ed's just posted that the Chelmsford carnival date has moved to 1st August.

:thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4616 on: 02 July, 2021, 06:59:50 pm »
No report from Wednesday then?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4617 on: 04 July, 2021, 10:33:09 pm »
Hello all,
Sorry to completely derail things but I am entering a DIY (Kingdom of the East Saxons) and I've go to the bit where it asks for the controls. It says:
Brevet Route Details
All routes include a start control,  one or more intermediate controls, and the end control.

Normally there will be at least one control every 50-80km along the route (a 50km brevet should have at least one intermediate control).

Controls are recorded as place names, landmarks, postcodes, etc. The control names should be 'Googleable', i.e., 'Malmesbury',  'Hobnobs Cafe, Swindon', 'Symonds Yat', etc.  Controls such as 'The third lamp post on the right', 'junction of 3rd and 52nd street will be rejected.

Enter the controls either one per line (preferred) or as one line with each control separated by a semi-colon (';')

DO NOT include control numbers, intermediate distances, or map references.

FAQ: I'm validating by GPS, so why do I need controls? Answer: to comply with Audax UK  regulations and more specifically, to help the organizer document your ride and deal with any questions that may arise.

So, do I just enter all the controls off of the route sheet? What about info controls, or do I just list the controls that i can get proof of passage from, like a receipt?
Sorry, I'm new to all this. ???

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4618 on: 04 July, 2021, 11:40:22 pm »
Hello all,
Sorry to completely derail things but I am entering a DIY (Kingdom of the East Saxons) and I've go to the bit where it asks for the controls. It says:
Brevet Route Details
All routes include a start control,  one or more intermediate controls, and the end control.

Normally there will be at least one control every 50-80km along the route (a 50km brevet should have at least one intermediate control).

Controls are recorded as place names, landmarks, postcodes, etc. The control names should be 'Googleable', i.e., 'Malmesbury',  'Hobnobs Cafe, Swindon', 'Symonds Yat', etc.  Controls such as 'The third lamp post on the right', 'junction of 3rd and 52nd street will be rejected.

Enter the controls either one per line (preferred) or as one line with each control separated by a semi-colon (';')

FAQ: I'm validating by GPS, so why do I need controls? Answer: to comply with Audax UK  regulations and more specifically, to help the organizer document your ride and deal with any questions that may arise.

So, do I just enter all the controls off of the route sheet? What about info controls, or do I just list the controls that i can get proof of passage from, like a receipt?

Are you doing DIY by GPS ?
If so, just enter start, end and somewhere on route.....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4619 on: 04 July, 2021, 11:43:41 pm »
OK, yes - That's the plan. So what do I use the brevet for? Thanks for your help!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4620 on: 04 July, 2021, 11:52:38 pm »
OK, yes - That's the plan. So what do I use the brevet for? Thanks for your help!

Now, I'm a bit rusty at this being retried from that palaver... but I think you used to just buy a "virtual brevet" and then use them up with Paul when you registered your DIY.  I've not ventured on to the new website to see how it now works unfortunately, but I suspect Mr psyclist may be teh best to advise...

https://audax.uk/about-audax/event-types/do-it-yourself-diy-events/how-to-mandatory/
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4621 on: 04 July, 2021, 11:53:38 pm »
Oh, well I've just bought three hardcopies for a tenner  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4622 on: 04 July, 2021, 11:54:27 pm »
Oh, well I've just bought three hardcopies for a tenner  :thumbsup:

If you've just done it you might be able to swap for virtual brevets?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4623 on: 05 July, 2021, 06:40:34 am »
I’ve only used virtual brevet cards.

For the controls, if riding from/to home I use the postcode, then name a small village or 2 as the intermediate controls. The last bit is a tick in the box exercise, it doesn’t impact your ride if you are validating by GPS and following a mandatory route.

Check emails that the SE Organiser might send you if you enter virtually rather than using the physical brevet, as he has a new process for inputting details of DIY rides using a Google form. It’s straightforward, and is clearly explained in the email that he’ll send.

« Reply #4624 on: 05 July, 2021, 08:29:52 am »
Hello all,
Brevet Route Details

I was going to say just enter the perm. Having checked it doesn’t show as a perm.  Yes just enter the controls on the route sheet as they are known to work. With a physical card you’ll need to collect receipts at start / end control and all the intermediate ones.  Once ridden successfully you’ll be need ensure brevet card completed and send it with receipts to the organiser you bought brevet off.  I usually photocopy brevet and receipts before sticking in post.

You can’t do infos on a DIY. So you’ll need to check nearest place with shop, put those down as the control instead of info location, and adjust route accordingly