Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526379 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4975 on: 10 April, 2022, 01:05:51 pm »

If I want to split the chain, how do i do this. There seem to be two chain rivets that are prouder on the outer plate than the others, do I just push one of these out?

That joiner looks like the KMC design used on their single speed chains.
The back piece has the two pins permanently fitted which need to be bent towards each other to release the thicker plate with the two keyhole slots.
Then persuade to outer plate to come off whilst keeping the link bent (this is the tricky bit!).
Technique I use is to get the link near to the sprocket with the chain very slack, stop the wheel turning, bend the link with one hand by pushing against the sprocket and pick the plate off with a set of long nose pliers.

Tomsk had one of those plates vanish on the Horsepower helpers ride (1/8" version of chain) after fixing a puncture at Newmarket - symptom was a clicking every second (ish) crank rotation under load, we never figured out how the plate escaped, they are a pain to remove!
I prefer the traditional joiner design - three piece version with the separate spring clip holding it all together - a lot easier to dismantle when you want to.

Single speed chains use the traditional pin, bush and roller design whilst derailleur chains have a drawn section on both inner plates that replace the bush which gives more sideways flex - the design was first used on the Sedis Sport chains (in the 80s I seem to remember).
The different design does have implications for how chain lube enters/exits the chain - you need to get the stuff onto the plates on single speed versions to lubricate the pin/bush interface, on derailleur chains the lube will find its way from the roller to the pin past the split bush.

OK, many thanks again.

The link is out and was pretty easy. I pinched the rollers together using one of those chain joiny/seperatey plier things and carefully took off the plate that faces out. I'm soaking the chain in white spirits next and cleaning the sprocket and chainring. then the whole thing will be lubricated (thanks for the tip about the plates), put back together and taken up the nearest hilly bit of road.

I will let ye knowe (see what I did there?)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4976 on: 10 April, 2022, 02:51:39 pm »
Good luck Nick.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4977 on: 10 April, 2022, 03:25:27 pm »
Nick, for future:

I have a few second hand 48T 130BCD 5 bolt 3/32" chainrings - including Surly SS ones, when you wear the current one out. I changed my fixed transmissions to 1/8" throughout and external BB.

Sprocket removal in theory requires a special tool, however a suitably large/thick open ended spanner in a vice works fine in my experience, once the axle is out of the way.

Wheel bearings are sealed cartridge type - readily available. If using as a shit weather commuter replace with SS ones when they go rotten, try to get to them before the cages inside explode which does make getting the outer shell out of the hub more interesting but do able with special tooling (which I do have).

The track nuts will start to rot from the inner surfaces - soaking in waxoil before they go brown will help prevent the rot.

« Reply #4978 on: 10 April, 2022, 03:59:53 pm »
Thank you, BFC, for all your advice!

All back together now but the link is very sloppy, I suppose when I lay down my usual burst of raw power (98 watts), it will snap back into place. Or snap.

BFC

« Reply #4979 on: 10 April, 2022, 04:38:52 pm »

All back together now but the link is very sloppy, I suppose when I lay down my usual burst of raw power (98 watts), it will snap back into place. Or snap.
The link should tighten with use/loading - that's the theory. Sourcing a spare chain (and trimming to length) to carry as a spare for a while may improve your mental wellbeing though....

I never liked that design of quicklink - and a similar version on my 8sp mountain bike dumped it's chain 25 miles from home! A walk back down the road found all the bits on that occasion but no confidence in the design.

« Reply #4980 on: 10 April, 2022, 06:56:50 pm »
Good luck Nick.

Thanks! It didn't work :'(

« Reply #4981 on: 10 April, 2022, 06:57:57 pm »

The link should tighten with use/loading - that's the theory. Sourcing a spare chain (and trimming to length) to carry as a spare for a while may improve your mental wellbeing though....

I never liked that design of quicklink - and a similar version on my 8sp mountain bike dumped it's chain 25 miles from home! A walk back down the road found all the bits on that occasion but no confidence in the design.

98 watts coursing through it for 20 mins and its still loose. Its also still clicking. Is it worth just getting a new chain? Pedals maybe, though they're the ones you just serviced and not that old anyway. I don't like that link either.

« Reply #4982 on: 10 April, 2022, 07:57:21 pm »
Two things. Followed a rider with an acme flap on their mudguard today from Heybridge end of maldon. Probably about 1pm this afternoon. I was driving

Secondly got one of those sub 24 hour adventure things this weekend. Hopefully with a couple of mates although one has a very young cub so may not make it. Planning a little jaunt to a beach somewhere localish for a night wild camping. With this in mind and one of the people coming the person I have previously borrowed bivvy bag off of I instead of asking for dynamo wheel funds asked the brother for a bivvy bag for birthday and requested it early. I normally like a surprise for my presents but he's generally generous but also crap at surprises so happy for a link and then he buys it. Got myself an alpkit hunka XL which I'm glad I went XL as I'm certainly not big but neither is it....although that's kinda the idea with bivvy bags

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4983 on: 10 April, 2022, 08:05:52 pm »
Planning a little jaunt to a beach somewhere localish for a night wild camping.

:thumbsup: We know a good spot fairly near to you, if you're interested in bivvy ideas ...

BFC

« Reply #4984 on: 11 April, 2022, 12:31:22 pm »

98 watts coursing through it for 20 mins and its still loose. Its also still clicking. Is it worth just getting a new chain? Pedals maybe, though they're the ones you just serviced and not that old anyway. I don't like that link either.

It's worth trying a new chain! I have just found a used 3/32" 3 piece joiner in the spares, let me know if you are out on a Wednesday.
Also a few 3/32 sprockets if you ever want to try Bill as a fixed set up (13 to 19T).....

« Reply #4985 on: 11 April, 2022, 01:51:13 pm »
Thank you! i just got myself a cheap chain from halfords, up the road to where I work, for the princely sum of £7.95.

Its the three piece thing, so I'll put it on and test it later. Would like to do MEMWNS on it this week.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4986 on: 11 April, 2022, 01:54:01 pm »
Two things. Followed a rider with an acme flap on their mudguard today from Heybridge end of maldon. Probably about 1pm this afternoon. I was driving

Secondly got one of those sub 24 hour adventure things this weekend. Hopefully with a couple of mates although one has a very young cub so may not make it. Planning a little jaunt to a beach somewhere localish for a night wild camping. With this in mind and one of the people coming the person I have previously borrowed bivvy bag off of I instead of asking for dynamo wheel funds asked the brother for a bivvy bag for birthday and requested it early. I normally like a surprise for my presents but he's generally generous but also crap at surprises so happy for a link and then he buys it. Got myself an alpkit hunka XL which I'm glad I went XL as I'm certainly not big but neither is it....although that's kinda the idea with bivvy bags

Let us know how the bivvy goes!

« Reply #4987 on: 11 April, 2022, 10:20:46 pm »
New chain has made no difference. The pedals needed nipping up but that didn't cure it, either.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4988 on: 12 April, 2022, 12:23:48 am »
New chain has made no difference. The pedals needed nipping up but that didn't cure it, either.

I get a clunk when the wheel isn't centered, I've got adjusters on mine and half a turn can make a difference to the clicking.

I think AndyC3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 has the same bike?

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4989 on: 12 April, 2022, 07:25:43 am »
I think the bike is telling you it wants a Fixed Gear, only thing is, your knees may start clicking  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4990 on: 12 April, 2022, 08:44:25 am »
I think the bike is telling you it wants a Fixed Gear, only thing is, your knees may start clicking  ;D

The man has a point  ;D

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4991 on: 12 April, 2022, 09:33:00 am »
I think it's great these single speeds are so reliable, simple and inexpensive to maintain.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4992 on: 12 April, 2022, 09:40:01 am »
I think it's great these single speeds are so reliable, simple and inexpensive to maintain.

Not entirely fair  ;D

I've spent many an unhappy hour trying to get gears to index (which is why Fred is 100% friction) and tracing down mysterious noises on geared bikes!

BFC

« Reply #4993 on: 12 April, 2022, 11:11:51 am »

The man has a point  ;D

The issue most novices have with fixed is bouncing on the saddle at moderate and high cadence, alleviated by running a "bigger" gear but then the stress on the legs goes up.
My ankle clicks, but I know why - nothing to do with riding fixed. I may have to get the screws removed if bone continues to grow around them.

felstedrider

« Reply #4994 on: 12 April, 2022, 11:15:40 am »

The man has a point  ;D

The issue most novices have with fixed is bouncing on the saddle at moderate and high cadence, alleviated by running a "bigger" gear but then the stress on the legs goes up.
My ankle clicks, but I know why - nothing to do with riding fixed. I may have to get the screws removed if bone continues to grow around them.

I run a reasonably long gear but it certainly alleviates the saddle issues on longer rides when spinning on descents.    You do have to walk up the odd hill.

BFC

« Reply #4995 on: 12 April, 2022, 11:58:23 am »

I get a clunk when the wheel isn't centered, I've got adjusters on mine and half a turn can make a difference to the clicking.

I think AndyC3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 has the same bike?

Image doesn't show on my screen, but......
AndyC333333 has a Genesis steel fixed in white. It's transmission often clicks and drives him mad! - It shuts up when wet though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4996 on: 12 April, 2022, 12:00:06 pm »
What!?! You mean a member of the MEMWNS peloton has a bicycle issue you haven't been able to fix?!?  I am shocked to the core  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4997 on: 12 April, 2022, 01:05:53 pm »

Image doesn't show on my screen, but......
AndyC333333 has a Genesis steel fixed in white. It's transmission often clicks and drives him mad! - It shuts up when wet though.
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4998 on: 12 April, 2022, 02:16:18 pm »

Not entirely fair  ;D

I've spent many an unhappy hour trying to get gears to index (which is why Fred is 100% friction) and tracing down mysterious noises on geared bikes!

Hmm, I'm beginning to think it's the rider, not the bike.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4999 on: 12 April, 2022, 02:20:43 pm »
Nick, just thinking, is there any lateral play in the freewheel, that might be chucking the chain off line?

If you've got a flipflop wheel with ability to put a fixed sprocket on that might be worth trying.
Regards,

Joergen