Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526329 times)

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5700 on: 09 October, 2023, 01:21:07 pm »
+1, me too for BCM.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #5701 on: 09 October, 2023, 05:04:27 pm »
+1, me too for BCM.

Are you switching allegiance for next year?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #5702 on: 09 October, 2023, 08:02:19 pm »
Yes, I will be switching next year for cheaper iinsurance quotes......  ;D
CCS - Setting the Standards

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #5703 on: 14 October, 2023, 12:44:00 pm »
Still plenty of space for Emma Haxell’s rowing talk on Tuesday 17th October at 8pm at The Compasses. £5 entry - all money goes to her charity. Please let me know if you want to come.
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

felstedrider

« Reply #5704 on: 14 October, 2023, 07:35:06 pm »
Still plenty of space for Emma Haxell’s rowing talk on Tuesday 17th October at 8pm at The Compasses. £5 entry - all money goes to her charity. Please let me know if you want to come.

Annoyingly we’re at a gig in Brentwood. 

« Reply #5705 on: 18 October, 2023, 08:53:21 pm »
Hello all,

Wife has got herself a Giant OCR4, size small to suit her petite design. We went out on a ride the other evening for a few kms and I noticed she is stretching forward to get to the bars. The saddle looks fairly far forward on the rails, so I suppose the next thing to go for is a shorter stem?

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.Nick.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5706 on: 18 October, 2023, 09:00:55 pm »
Hello all,

Wife has got herself a Giant OCR4, size small to suit her petite design. We went out on a ride the other evening for a few kms and I noticed she is stretching forward to get to the bars. The saddle looks fairly far forward on the rails, so I suppose the next thing to go for is a shorter stem?

Thanks.Nick.

Get a pro bike fit?  I think Grey Sheep went to Yellow Jersey in Billericay?

It could be a good investment, if Mrs Nick (charming woman 😘 ) is uncomfortable on her new steed it might soon find itself gathering dust in the garage/shed etc which would be a shame.

« Reply #5707 on: 18 October, 2023, 09:32:37 pm »
Hello all,

Thanks.Nick.

Get a pro bike fit?  I think Grey Sheep went to Yellow Jersey in Billericay?

It could be a good investment, if Mrs Nick (charming woman 😘 ) is uncomfortable on her new steed it might soon find itself gathering dust in the garage/shed etc which would be a shame.

I've never had one myself and I doubt she'd sanction one for herself, she'd say that's only for "serious cyclists". :hand: Think a stem will be first. :thumbsup:
Thank you for your advice though!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5708 on: 18 October, 2023, 10:15:29 pm »
 :-*

« Reply #5709 on: 18 October, 2023, 11:40:39 pm »

I'm gonna tell her you said she's charming and that you're blowing me kisses. :-D

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5710 on: 19 October, 2023, 12:10:31 am »
Hello all,

Thanks.Nick.
In line seatposts or reversing the seatpost (only works with some designs!) shortens the reach to the bars. Find what suits the good lady, then measure distance from nose of saddle to centre of bars for future reference. Note that moving the saddle fore/aft does change effective leg reach so measure that and tweak saddle height to compensate.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5711 on: 19 October, 2023, 02:44:12 am »

I'm gonna tell her you said she's charming and that you're blowing me kisses. :-D

;D

« Reply #5712 on: 19 October, 2023, 07:21:52 am »
Hello all,

Thanks.Nick.

Similar to I have with the Ribble.
Easiest thing to start with is flipping the stem, then try shortening it. After that you can try riser handlebars like
https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/hover-expert-alloy-handlebars--15mm-rise/p/156001?color=230548-156001&searchText=21017-2040&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PMax%20Shopping_UK_Equipment_Helmets_ROI&utm_id=17857134451&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhL6pBhDjARIsAGx8D5_z0b361F_6NGtRxWZ3eVDOd78RQ6QLLrl4ePjtJ1qQ-WtCCtLHL7YaAqR2EALw_wcB

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

« Reply #5713 on: 19 October, 2023, 07:23:03 am »
Hello all,

Thanks.Nick.

As well as a shorter stem, you could look for one that has more rise - the one on the bike is probably around 7 degrees - something like a 20 or 25 degree rise will bring the bars up but also a bit closer. If the bike has drop bars, you could also look at narrower and/or shorter reach handlebars - bringing the the width of the drops down also shortens reach slightly - I use Specialized Short Reach bars which are available down to 36cm wide and have a very short reach at 65mm.

ETA cross posted with Owen :) The Specialized Hover bars he mentioned are also available down to 36cm wide.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5714 on: 19 October, 2023, 09:13:01 am »
There are other providers of 'hover bars' for example which get there cheaper, I have these on my Gravel bike https://www.merlincycles.com/controltech-cls-gravel-riser-handlebar-150474.html

An adjustable stem is about £19 https://www.merlincycles.com/system-ex-adjustable-stem-112800.html but I would prob try for using that to get something you think is right, and get a none adjustable to suit.  I use these on a lot of my bikes (they are adjusted using a shim, so give a course range of options)

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/comp-multi-stem/p/156570?color=228546-156570

Risk here is unless you can borrow parts, you could end up spending as much as a bike fit plus parts to get to what you need but with the chance of getting there by accident as opposed to by process and design.  There are other issues female cyclists can have which are different to us blokes, so sometimes the right bike fitter can help a lot with that too. 

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5715 on: 19 October, 2023, 09:16:29 am »
... There are other issues female cyclists can have which are different to us blokes...

Impressive!  Sharp as a tack you are!  Is this a recent realisation or have you known for a while?  ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5716 on: 19 October, 2023, 11:50:36 pm »
Pondering adventures I came across this great thread which I have identified a couple of options from - worth a browse!

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/365987/

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5717 on: 23 October, 2023, 11:02:09 pm »
I fancy another trip across our northern border.

To include:

https://www.cairngormsloop.net/about

Followed by some gravelly touring. Aiming for June.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #5718 on: 24 October, 2023, 08:55:44 pm »
I fancy another trip across our northern border.

To include:

https://www.cairngormsloop.net/about

Followed by some gravelly touring. Aiming for June.

It certainly looks epic! When I looped through The Cairngorms on the road last summer I did think I'd like to go back and do all the off road stuff.

More details:

Cairngorms Loop Bikepacking Route - BIKEPACKING.com

I really need to buy a new mountain bike :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #5719 on: 24 October, 2023, 10:27:22 pm »
Thank you to all of you that have helped with the ladyfit - great advice and I will get going on some of that soon.

Much appreciated!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5720 on: 25 October, 2023, 07:03:29 am »
Thank you to all of you that have helped with the ladyfit - great advice and I will get going on some of that soon.

Much appreciated!

Let us know how you get on. Cycling with your spouse is a lovely thing so I hope it works out.

« Reply #5721 on: 27 October, 2023, 09:59:49 am »
Any idea when the next batch of ACME jerseys are likely to be coming in?

Think I'm a L or XL in the current men's sizing (although in real life usually S or M)

felstedrider

« Reply #5722 on: 27 October, 2023, 10:13:11 am »

Think I'm a L or XL in the current men's sizing (although in real life usually S or M)

Huggy had some mock-ups in the pub on Wednesday.   I'm sure he'll be along to confirm.

I had to buy a large.......

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5723 on: 31 October, 2023, 10:26:05 am »

Huggy had some mock-ups in the pub on Wednesday.   I'm sure he'll be along to confirm.

I had to buy a large.......
An order for the popular sizes has just been placed. They may or may not arrive in time for the Stansted Airport Express on 2nd December.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #5724 on: 31 October, 2023, 08:47:40 pm »
Huggy had some mock-ups in the pub on Wednesday.

Are they a new design then?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!