Author Topic: Moving tablet download folder to SD card...  (Read 9900 times)

Moving tablet download folder to SD card...
« on: 30 October, 2013, 12:48:11 am »
I was trying to store iplayer downloads on to my new 32Gb SD card, but couldn't see how to move the downloads folder from internal storage to SD.  Can I drag and drop the folder from Int storage to SD on the PC, with tablet connected?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Moving tablet download folder to SD card...
« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2013, 07:55:04 am »
Well I'd think you could drag and drop files, but I'm not sure about folders (as I've never done that). I've always created a destination folder and dragged the files, individually or as a group.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2013, 08:00:24 am »
I have a feeling that may not work, and you will of course only copy the folder, as its a separate drive.  I think you will have to try rummaging deep into the tablets system settings to get it to store downloads on the SD card. I vaguely recall having to spend a little while doing that on my phone.  Could it even be within iplayer, not that it seems to have any meaningful "settings" as such?
Wombat

« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2013, 08:54:16 am »
I dragged and dropped an iplayer download from PC to the SD card, but couldn't seem to access it.  I had previously put folders of photos on the SD card, and these are visible in 'albums' no problem at all.  There is a 'download' button (app) - which takes one to the int storage 'download' folder only I think.  I wonder if the 'file manager' app available free on google play would be able to do something...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4 on: 30 October, 2013, 09:00:28 am »
Can I download programmes and store them to an SD card?

No. Downloads are only able to download to internal storage. This follows Google developer guidelines for this type of media. Also, due to obligations to our rights holders, a downloaded programme can only be played on the device on which it was downloaded.

from http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile_tablet/faqs_mobile_downloads

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2013, 09:57:03 am »
Can I download programmes and store them to an SD card?

No. Downloads are only able to download to internal storage. This follows Google developer guidelines for this type of media. Also, due to obligations to our rights holders, a downloaded programme can only be played on the device on which it was downloaded.

from http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile_tablet/faqs_mobile_downloads

OK thanks for this.  I needed a new SD card, as I'd already maxxed out the 4Gb SD with photos; but still have 9Gb of internal memory available.  I wonder if 'ultraviolet' films can transferred and accessed from the SD card?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2013, 11:08:20 am »
For general moving files/folders then it is worth getting a file manager app, it seems Android doesn't include one as standard. I recommend ES File Explorer, its free. Then its easy to cut/copy/paste/move files and folders.

Though yes, the problem is many apps will only look for files in a specific place. You might be able to change that in the settings for that app, though as above it seems its not possible for Iplayer.
You could create a "symbolic link" so the folder in the internal memory points to the memory card. Though that would probably require root.

Or you could use get_iplayer to download programmes from Iplayer on your PC. Then copy them onto the tablet, and play it using some other video player.