Author Topic: Photos  (Read 22013 times)

Re: Photos
« Reply #50 on: 31 August, 2019, 02:53:48 pm »
Ivo, did you know that Dominique and Christian did their 11th PBPs Randonneur on the same tandem in 2015?

No, but I do remember that it was a very interesting, very short, tandem.

« Reply #51 on: 01 September, 2019, 12:04:55 am »
I't's not today's. I've tried to get it online, but my bank has questioned the payment, and requires confirmation. Hopefully that's not 99p wasted.

Good, the only copy which arrived here in town (only 10km north of the extreme limits of the Francophonie) was already sold out.

I got a copy online. A bit of a disappointment, mainly pictures of riders looking out of it at controls, and no real content.

« Reply #52 on: 02 September, 2019, 05:22:01 pm »
I've got 16 photos in my Maindru pack...there's gotta be one worth keeping in there by law of averages, no? Still debating whether to spend the 49 euros...

Be a little careful if you download the 'finishers pack' from Maindru.   It displays your time and it is, of course, wrong.   Should have bought the plain ones.

As I didn't hit my target time this is an easy choice  ::-)

If you click on the photo you want you can buy that one only. 11 or 12 euros though....
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #53 on: 27 September, 2019, 10:26:15 am »
Just had the Maindru Photo email offering 30% discount on the photos as I didn't bother buying them immediately.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #54 on: 27 September, 2019, 05:18:05 pm »
I'll keep that in mind if/when I ride PBP in 2023...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #55 on: 29 September, 2019, 08:37:42 pm »
Just had the Maindru Photo email offering 30% discount on the photos as I didn't bother buying them immediately.

Suggests they're struggling to sell them, hardly a surprise TBH...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #56 on: 03 October, 2019, 12:26:08 pm »
Be a little careful if you download the 'finishers pack' from Maindru.   It displays your time and it is, of course, wrong.   Should have bought the plain ones.

I have logged a query on their website.   Let's see if anything come back.
In what way wrong? Mine shows the correct time when I look at the preview. Although I initially it did show 00.00.00 this was changed at so.e point to 79.20 which correlates closely enough with my gps track to be credible. Perhaps you were hasty in ordering?

My start to finish GPS is 79.15 add on time to walk to park bike, walk to control desk, wait, adjust for the official's watch etc. The 79.20 quoted is very credible.

Should there not be some preliminary finishers list from the organisers by now?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

rob

« Reply #57 on: 03 October, 2019, 01:13:27 pm »

I have logged a query on their website.   Let's see if anything come back.
In what way wrong? Mine shows the correct time when I look at the preview. Although I initially it did show 00.00.00 this was changed at so.e point to 79.20 which correlates closely enough with my gps track to be credible. Perhaps you were hasty in ordering?

My start to finish GPS is 79.15 add on time to walk to park bike, walk to control desk, wait, adjust for the official's watch etc. The 79.20 quoted is very credible.

Should there not be some preliminary finishers list from the organisers by now?

Mine showed 89:34:52.   My time was 69:48 provisionally.   

Looking at it today and using preview it now has the right time.   I cropped mine in the end.   The time doesn't add much, TBH, so I'd not bother with that option again.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #58 on: 03 October, 2019, 01:42:34 pm »
I'd mail them about sending revised image with correct time.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

rob

« Reply #59 on: 03 October, 2019, 01:44:20 pm »
I'd mail them about sending revised image with correct time.

I did.  They never answered.   Might give it another go.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #60 on: 08 October, 2019, 07:56:22 pm »
i agree re spoke breakages, but struggle to understand how 20/24 spokes are fine for a 80kg pro sprinter able to push 1.5kw+ but a 55kg randonneur needs 36/36. seems way ott.
Is about risk mitigation. The loss of speed on such a ride is minimal for the higher spoke count, but the chance of spoke breakage is nearly zero. I have not broken a spoke on a hand build wheel is (memory here might not be true) 5 years, but rode low spoke count wheel for one year and broke two spokes. It might not happen very often but when it does the consequences could be great.

You don't need the the extra spokes, but it's the peace they give you that counts.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #61 on: 08 October, 2019, 10:22:16 pm »
i agree re spoke breakages, but struggle to understand how 20/24 spokes are fine for a 80kg pro sprinter able to push 1.5kw+ but a 55kg randonneur needs 36/36. seems way ott.
Is about risk mitigation. The loss of speed on such a ride is minimal for the higher spoke count, but the chance of spoke breakage is nearly zero. I have not broken a spoke on a hand build wheel is (memory here might not be true) 5 years, but rode low spoke count wheel for one year and broke two spokes. It might not happen very often but when it does the consequences could be great.

You don't need the the extra spokes, but it's the peace they give you that counts.

BB

the discussion was about the lady in the photo, who weighs (say, ~30kg) less, so for her low spoked wheels would be plenty strong and ride nicer. the peace comes at a cost of increased drag (which may not matter to most).

« Reply #62 on: 13 October, 2019, 05:45:36 pm »

Not many potholes to worry about on the track and pro road racers have spare bikes following them around. Anyway, spokes don't break due to excessive torque on the hub from the 1.5kw drive power but from mechanical damage. I broke a spoke on a single with low spoke count Campy wheels and had to fixed it with a fiber spoke. I broke one on a tandem with 40 spoke rear wheel and was able to true it up and continue. YMMV.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #63 on: 13 October, 2019, 07:09:40 pm »
if the bike is ridden in dry conditions there is no reason for it to be not clean. lovely looking bike, only why so many spokes in the wheels - half of them would do the job just as well for a slender rider like her.

High spoke count wheels fit the bikes style though.

« Reply #64 on: 11 December, 2019, 06:27:13 pm »
I got another special festive offer of photos today by email, and in a moment of weakness I've bought them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #65 on: 28 June, 2020, 11:39:22 pm »
https://www.velo-ctr.org/index.php/journaux/album-photos/paris-brest-paris has an enormous number of photos of riders crossing the start, sorted by start group. There are also finish photos but I have not got that far into them yet.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #66 on: 08 July, 2020, 10:31:23 am »
Some great photos in that link above.  Thanks for sharing.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #67 on: 09 July, 2020, 08:24:34 pm »
Thanks LWaB - I've spent a happy few hours over the past couple of days trawling through and found most of the ACME suspects and a few more besides.