Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 253289 times)

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #1325 on: 20 May, 2021, 10:04:30 am »
Not a lot, too blooming wet. Got loads to get in so hopefully next week will bring some drier weather

Did weed a small bed i made last year and put in some bush tomatoes and put some ones that need support in one of the old baths i use as raised beds. I then started to build supports from willow i have cut, which will also support the peas in the adjacent bath

« Reply #1326 on: 22 May, 2021, 07:28:58 pm »
Not as much as I had hoped, but I am always over-optimistic.
The outdoor tomatoes are in their grow bags with the appropriate canes and so on in place.
I have also weeded most of the drive and the path immediately in front of the house.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1327 on: 22 May, 2021, 10:18:40 pm »
Tried to transplant a load of baby cabbages which are outgrowing their protection (the upper leaves are getting eaten by birds), but gave up part-way because of the rain. I'll finish it tomorrow, & also plant out the Romanesco seedlings.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1328 on: 24 May, 2021, 04:10:24 pm »
We have a new allotment, which is just across the road from the house.   :thumbsup:

Initial work has been done by a Parish Council contractor.  I'm going to concentrate on getting it ready for some autumn planting, although I might get some courgettes in quick...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1329 on: 24 May, 2021, 05:03:27 pm »
Barrowed the two ludicrously heavy carpets that had been down for years to keep the weeds down to the dump. They each had an inch layer of mud and weeds on top.

Moved all the crap on top of one bed to where the carpets had been (which was previously layered with cardboard last weekend). Where the crap had been I then bagged up the foot deep pile of manure that had been placed there a year ago and cleared the area ready for sweetcorn.

Mrs hatler earthed up the potatoes, and weeded (a lot).

Mrs hatler very chuffed that the plot has never been this much under control.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1330 on: 24 May, 2021, 06:04:06 pm »

Barrowed the two ludicrously heavy carpets that had been down for years to keep the weeds down to the dump. They each had an inch layer of mud and weeds on top.
I've had my plot for 10 years and am still digging out carpet pieces.
Carpet is now banned on our site (although I'm not aware of any enforcement).
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #1331 on: 24 May, 2021, 06:20:48 pm »
Sounds like a good rule to me.

It's an easy and quick fix, but oh boy, you pay for it eventually.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1332 on: 24 May, 2021, 08:05:15 pm »
What with it being rather wet I've not been up the plot for a few weeks. It was very well under control as been on flexi furlough but fear with the rain and the not freezing weather it may need some work

« Reply #1333 on: 29 May, 2021, 08:49:14 am »
Bought a small copse or perhaps that should be a spinney for the wildlife area at the end of the garden. Three twenty foot silver birch to be planted as a group. They will be delivered next week so I better get on and a dig a large hole this weekend!
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1334 on: 29 May, 2021, 03:13:17 pm »
Bought a small copse or perhaps that should be a spinney for the wildlife area at the end of the garden. Three twenty foot silver birch to be planted as a group. They will be delivered next week so I better get on and a dig a large hole this weekend!

I always thought a copse was a collection of trees planted for coppicing. I'dlove enough space to have a small patch of woodland.  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #1335 on: 30 May, 2021, 12:25:37 pm »
By eck it needed some work. The grass around the plot was about a foot tall and weeds had gone nuts. Mowed the grass and used the bush knife on the longer stuff. Then weeded loads. Loads of volunteer potatoes but a disappointing amount of growth from a lot of what I'd sown  think ill be removing a lot.

Dumped some more manure on one end of the plot which is going to be the squash area and the wife and kids sowed some carrots and a few more parsnips

Wonder if the cold spring is why I've had poor germination. Going to need a few evenings Up there to finish getting it back in shape

« Reply #1336 on: 30 May, 2021, 02:13:56 pm »
Weeded and dug half a bed, covered it in cardboard and manure.

Got rid of the purple sprouting. Dug that bed over and planted various stuffs in there.

Sweetcorn seedlings planted. Lots of weeding. Tidied up (rolled and tied) about half the plastic mesh rolls. Tidied the shed. Laid three cardboard and bark chipping paths between beds (better than paving slabs at keeping weeds at bay). More runner beans planted.

Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1337 on: 30 May, 2021, 08:58:56 pm »
The last two years my runner beans have been blown down by some unseasonal high winds. Built a new frame using reclaimed tree branches that I made sure were better rooted in the soil, I hope. I will monitor how this structure fares but may use guy lines in high winds, if required.

« Reply #1338 on: 01 June, 2021, 04:52:25 pm »
Mowed back garden - boy, does the grass grow fast here, once it starts!
Tidied up edges with sickle, finished off rough bits with sickle. Then trimmed a hedging plant with the sickle - so easy, as fast as a powered hedge trimmer but without the noise and hassle.

I have a scythe on order so I can tackle the side plot and road frontage. Really looking forward to that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1339 on: 01 June, 2021, 05:17:41 pm »

I always thought a copse was a collection of trees planted for coppicing. I'dlove enough space to have a small patch of woodland.  :thumbsup:

'Copse' and 'coppice' are often used interchangably but coppices may be copses but not all copses will be coppices...

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1340 on: 02 June, 2021, 01:46:23 pm »
The last two years my runner beans have been blown down by some unseasonal high winds. Built a new frame using reclaimed tree branches that I made sure were better rooted in the soil, I hope. I will monitor how this structure fares but may use guy lines in high winds, if required.

Do you have cross supports for the bean frame. There was a good guide on gardeners world a few years back

« Reply #1341 on: 02 June, 2021, 01:49:05 pm »
Woke up early despite being off work so headed off to plot before anyone else was up. Mostly got my various squash plants planted out. Some signs of growth in the other crops. Think ill be back to watering on way to work if this weather keeps up

« Reply #1342 on: 02 June, 2021, 06:27:23 pm »
Prepared (removed weeds & encroaching grass & dug over) the bed where I'm going to plant all the baby Romanesco thingies in the ground, now they're big enough. Everything is ready, including recycled (thrown out by someone else, apparently because it was grubby & had plants growing through it - took half an hour to fix that) netting* to keep greedy leaf munchers (yes, you, you bloody pigeons!) off, & 25 metres of blue plastic pipe to provide arched supports high enough. Should be done tomorrow.

Oh, & some watering. Then it rained.

Neither of us had tried Romanesco cauliflower until last year, when one arrived in a lockdown veg box as a substitute for something else. Mrs B looked at it with grave scepticism, but agreed we might as well try it. She loved it.

*Acquired three lots of this recently. One white strip about 5 metres long & less than 2 (6'?) wide, hole-free but old-looking, one blue about the same length but a bit wider, newer-looking but otherwise worse condition, & a bloody enormous blue-green thing about 2 metres or so wide & 20 long. There's nowhere we can use something that big in one piece, & it has a few big rips, so it's being cut up into usable pieces, with some of the lengths decided by the locations of the biggest holes.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1343 on: 08 June, 2021, 08:49:59 am »
Went and watered before work again. Did it last week on Friday and then we had torrential rain.

Interesting is that lots of untouched plots this year and requested help for a work party from the allotment association. This time last year was a waiting list but think a lot if people have gone back to work

One plot however which looked like a wild flower meadow last year is now possibly the best maintained on site

« Reply #1344 on: 12 June, 2021, 12:55:57 pm »
Watered. Picked the broad beans. Planted cucumbers and various other flowery things. Dug over half a bed and a quarter of another bed. Weeded a couple of beds.

No attacks from marauding guard bees today. Great relief.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1345 on: 12 June, 2021, 05:24:57 pm »
Put in (with a lump hammer!) some serious (well 40mm diameter) stakes into the tomato raised bed, and strung wires and inserted canes, Big Daddy tomatoes for the supporting of. Last year my cane frame was blown flat in an autumn squall, meaning half the crop had to ripen in the greenhouse rathe4 than on the vine. Planted out 11 of said tomatoes, and potted on another 10 from a second batch of seeds.  Put the sprinkler on.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1346 on: 12 June, 2021, 06:39:07 pm »
That reminds me. We need to be building the Sweetcorn fortress pretty soon to keep the badgers out.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1347 on: 12 June, 2021, 07:17:14 pm »
That reminds me. We need to be building the Sweetcorn fortress pretty soon to keep the badgers out.

When we took on our allotment the guy showing us around said that the badgers had trashed everyone's sweetcorn

« Reply #1348 on: 12 June, 2021, 08:01:11 pm »
We're going for scaffold poles as the corner supports, and then pallets as the 'fence'.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1349 on: 12 June, 2021, 08:51:37 pm »
Luckily no badgers here, so a cane frame does to stop the sweetcorn blowing over.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)