Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1744462 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #15250 on: 10 September, 2020, 10:29:28 am »
So the new rulz from Monday are not in fact a strengthening of restrictions for meeting indoors but a complete fudge and reversal of the current restriction on number of households allowed to meet ???

Yep, seems so!

« Reply #15251 on: 10 September, 2020, 11:05:36 am »
Much as I don't like the idea, I don't think we should be meeting in multiple groups of 6 - in the same venue at least.

However we conduct ourselves, it will look like we are gathering in illegal numbers which could create issues for the venue - not to mention us.

These rules seem like a fairly sensible way of dealing with the issues that have arisen around gatherings where the problem seems to be that people have ignored the guidance and taken the criminal threshold (ie 30) as the maximum and probably stretched that in many cases.  By reducing the criminal threshold to 6, the message becomes clearer.

This is something we can work with and it will help venues as people start to come inside as the weather turns.

6 people probably isn't far off our average number during the winter months.  If we look like exceeding it, we can form splinter groups as the need arises.

I would still prefer to have the opportunity to ride out and meet up with up to 5 people than sit at home on a Zoom call.

Who knows what this means for Epiphany etc but we will have to see what the winter brings.  Sadly/happily, most of us qualify for free flu jabs (Tomsk and GS probably qualify for 2  ;D) so we may not see our junior squad for a few months.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15252 on: 10 September, 2020, 12:15:50 pm »
OK, I think ted is right, we do need to consider the venue's POV. 

Going forward perhaps we should work out in advance how many riders are going to turn up at the chosen venue and if there is going to be more than 6 we decide who is going to form a splinter group.

What do we think?

« Reply #15253 on: 10 September, 2020, 12:25:07 pm »

Going forward perhaps we should work out in advance how many riders are going to turn up at the chosen venue and if there is going to be more than 6 we decide who is going to form a splinter group.

What do we think?

Sounds sensible.

If we continue to use the forum to arrange evenings, having a list you add your name to each week might help, such as:

Venue: The Compasses
1: OD
2: tedshred
3:
4:
5:
6:

Each person copies the above and adds their name to the next available number. Might be the clearest way to track attendees and when to create a splinter.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #15254 on: 10 September, 2020, 12:28:54 pm »
What a time to be alive.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15255 on: 10 September, 2020, 12:34:31 pm »
What a time to be alive.

Yes, but at least we can ride our bikes to pubs.  Lockdown was a bit shite.

« Reply #15256 on: 10 September, 2020, 01:16:44 pm »
All sound like sensible idea to me.  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #15257 on: 10 September, 2020, 03:48:09 pm »

What do we think?

Sounds sensible.

If we continue to use the forum to arrange evenings, having a list you add your name to each week might help, such as:

3:
4:
5:
6:

Each person copies the above and adds their name to the next available number. Might be the clearest way to track attendees and when to create a splinter.

Can't we just have a spreadsheet?? I've missed your spreadsheets!  :-*
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15258 on: 10 September, 2020, 04:11:15 pm »

What do we think?

Sounds sensible.

3:
4:
5:
6:

Can't we just have a spreadsheet?? I've missed your spreadsheets!  :-*

jibers, you could have a master spreadsheet combining FORWARD PLANNING with allocating venues to each rider!  I'm not sure how The Bard is going to do write ups for multiple venues though  ???

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #15259 on: 10 September, 2020, 08:49:45 pm »
I did an online ordering spreadsheet for our ACME kit which worked but was ignored, so I don't think I'll be investing in this... so I'm out!  :facepalm:  ;D ;D
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #15260 on: 11 September, 2020, 12:33:38 pm »
I did an online ordering spreadsheet for our ACME kit which worked but was ignored, so I don't think I'll be investing in this... so I'm out!  :facepalm:  ;D ;D

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :sick:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15261 on: 11 September, 2020, 12:33:52 pm »

We promise not to ignore your next spreadsheet!  Anyhow, whatever happened to FORWARD PLANNING?  Did you resign?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15262 on: 11 September, 2020, 12:34:40 pm »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :sick:

Great minds, well, one great mind.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #15263 on: 11 September, 2020, 01:13:37 pm »
Is it going to be like playground football where we have 2 captains and take it in turn to pick the teams? Shirts & Skins?

On a serious note, at "The Spiritual Home" (copyright josser August 2020) we have decided that we can't entertain multiple groups of 6 that will inevitably intermingle because we need to be seen to be doing the right thing.
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15264 on: 11 September, 2020, 01:39:03 pm »
On a serious note, at "The Spiritual Home" (copyright josser August 2020) we have decided that we can't entertain multiple groups of 6 that will inevitably intermingle because we need to be seen to be doing the right thing.

Indeed, ted pointed out that this what responsible venues would be doing and we shouldn't do anything to frustrate venues trying to do the right thing.  Hence there won't be MEMWNS groups of more than 6 in any Mid-Essex pubs.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #15265 on: 11 September, 2020, 02:21:14 pm »

Indeed, ted pointed out that this what responsible venues would be doing and we shouldn't do anything to frustrate venues trying to do the right thing.  Hence there won't be MEMWNS groups of more than 6 in any Mid-Essex pubs.

And we'll get fined if we screw up...
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15266 on: 11 September, 2020, 02:34:49 pm »

And we'll get fined if we screw up...

Yes, we need to ensure we're always conscious of that.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15267 on: 11 September, 2020, 05:53:29 pm »
Re: Splinter Groups of Six - it'll be a bit like musical chairs, but with the numbers going the other way - we can see how many different ACME faces you can collect over, say, a month of pub rides.  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15268 on: 11 September, 2020, 05:57:24 pm »
Re: Splinter Groups of Six - it'll be a bit like musical chairs, but with the numbers going the other way - we can see how many different ACME faces you can collect over, say, a month of pub rides.  :thumbsup:

We need an I-Spy book!

« Reply #15269 on: 11 September, 2020, 06:18:23 pm »
We need another Strava app: Cycling Strava, Beer Strava, ACME Strava.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #15270 on: 14 September, 2020, 01:22:51 pm »
Who are the team Captains this week? Looks like glorious weather...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15271 on: 14 September, 2020, 01:34:51 pm »

Excellent question!  Who is planning on coming out this Wednesday and where are we going?  I'm happy with The Compasses.

Team A

1. OD

Team B...

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #15272 on: 14 September, 2020, 02:05:14 pm »

Excellent question!  Who is planning on coming out this Wednesday and where are we going?  I'm happy with The Compasses.

Team A

1. OD

Team B...

I'm happy to arrange a non Compasses splinter group. I was thinking the Green Man Toppesfield, always wanted to have a look. I realise this is a bit out of the way, but those with time on their hands and a sense of adventure may be up for it? What do you think?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15273 on: 14 September, 2020, 02:15:29 pm »
I can't do a long distance trip this Wednesday as I don't want a late night - much to do on Thursday.  However, Toppesfield would be good in the future.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #15274 on: 14 September, 2020, 02:30:57 pm »
Ok, if no-one is up for Toppesfield, I'm going to suggest the Walnut Tree at Broads Green? Maybe meet at The Compasses at 7.30 and go on a little COR Tour from there?