Author Topic: Camping with a Camper Longflap  (Read 17949 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Camping with a Camper Longflap
« Reply #75 on: 04 August, 2022, 10:28:39 pm »
I'd put them down as fridge shelves

Your Silly Oak fridge correspondent concurs.

I also appreciate the creative use of bar-ends.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #76 on: 05 August, 2022, 06:45:45 am »

You live in Selly Oak?  That's where my Dad grew up, Heeley Road.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #77 on: 05 August, 2022, 08:02:41 am »
I bow to the superior domestic-fitting spotting capabilities of my Selly Oak and Gloucestershire colleagues.

Talking of creative use of bar ends, I read yesterday about thumb ends.
https://bikepacking.com/gear/adding-alt-hand-positions-to-flat-bars/
Scroll down to where it says "TOGS".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 05 August, 2022, 11:42:28 am »

Indeed.  I bet there weren't as many fly-tipped fridges in those days.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #79 on: 05 August, 2022, 11:48:19 am »
Talking of creative use of bar ends, I read yesterday about thumb ends.
https://bikepacking.com/gear/adding-alt-hand-positions-to-flat-bars/
Scroll down to where it says "TOGS".

That makes sense.  I often use that hand position on the tiller of the Red Baron, where the steering is a sufficiently light touch that I don't think thumb grips would add anything, but I can see how it would be useful on a flat-barred upright, especially for off-road riding.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #80 on: 05 August, 2022, 11:57:21 am »

Indeed.  I bet there weren't as many fly-tipped fridges in those days.

If my poor old Dad and his elder brother were still with us I'd deffo have bought a couple of those calendars!  ;D 

I don't know much about Selly Oak, then or now, but I imagine the two Rowley brothers and their parents would have been scandalised by the dumping of fridges in their neighbourhood   >:(  My Dad, who ended his years in West Sussex, was somewhat pissed off by their neighbour's habit of not keeping tidy the driveway shared with my parents, we're talking about the odd bag of garden stuff.  A fridge would have been way too much  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #81 on: 05 August, 2022, 12:13:46 pm »
It has, as you might expect for a suburb of Birmingham within spitting distance of the University campus, been overrun by buy-to-let HMO landlords in recent years.  On our road (at the bottom end, which is technically Bournbrook) about 90% of the houses are student rentals, with a small number of longer-term residents (we're fortunate in that our landlord can't be arsed to have anything to do with students).  Which means that nobody gives a shit about maintenance or keeping things tidy[1].  The roll-out of wheeliebins a few years ago solved the rat problem, but turned the pavements into a perpetual wheeliebin slalom.  I get the impression that things are slightly better at the top of the hill, with more of the rentals being to hospital employees, who aren't any more likely to maintain the stuff their landlord won't, but are a lot less inclined to drop litter or get drunk and smash things.

It's also a de-facto car park, except over the summer, when the university stops teaching, the BRITISH students move out, and the builders move in.  Obviously the first thing they do when stripping a house to re-fit for HMO use is to dump the fridge on the pavement outside.  The scrap metal fairy then vanishes the compressor, releasing any greenhouse gases within.

When we first moved here, a friend remarked that her sister had been a UoB student, and that what struck her about Selly Oak was the sheer number of fridges lying around.  Hence the calendar...

(Due to the Colemanwealth Games, parking is currently residents-only and strictly enforced by wardens in a lot less PPE[1] than the usual council ones.  Someone's been round and collected all the fly-tipping, too.  And there's cheering and oohing and ahhing from the stickball pitches.  It's all rather lovely.)

[1] The neighbours (housing association tenants) and I take it in turns to sweep up broken glass, because they have a dog and we have bicycles.
[2] When did traffic wardens start wearing motorcycle helmets in case they got beaten up?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #82 on: 05 August, 2022, 12:38:42 pm »
It has, as you might expect for a suburb of Birmingham within spitting distance of the University campus, been overrun by buy-to-let HMO landlords in recent years.  On our road (at the bottom end, which is technically Bournbrook) about 90% of the houses are student rentals, with a small number of longer-term residents (we're fortunate in that our landlord can't be arsed to have anything to do with students).  Which means that nobody gives a shit about maintenance or keeping things tidy[1].  The roll-out of wheeliebins a few years ago solved the rat problem, but turned the pavements into a perpetual wheeliebin slalom.  I get the impression that things are slightly better at the top of the hill, with more of the rentals being to hospital employees, who aren't any more likely to maintain the stuff their landlord won't, but are a lot less inclined to drop litter or get drunk and smash things.

It's also a de-facto car park, except over the summer, when the university stops teaching, the BRITISH students move out, and the builders move in.  Obviously the first thing they do when stripping a house to re-fit for HMO use is to dump the fridge on the pavement outside.  The scrap metal fairy then vanishes the compressor, releasing any greenhouse gases within.

When we first moved here, a friend remarked that her sister had been a UoB student, and that what struck her about Selly Oak was the sheer number of fridges lying around.  Hence the calendar...

(Due to the Colemanwealth Games, parking is currently residents-only and strictly enforced by wardens in a lot less PPE[1] than the usual council ones.  Someone's been round and collected all the fly-tipping, too.  And there's cheering and oohing and ahhing from the stickball pitches.  It's all rather lovely.)

[1] The neighbours (housing association tenants) and I take it in turns to sweep up broken glass, because they have a dog and we have bicycles.
[2] When did traffic wardens start wearing motorcycle helmets in case they got beaten up?

We should be proud, that in the great tradition of yacf, we have successfully hijacked a thread about saddlebags in order to discuss a suburb of Birmingham!

My Dad and uncle moved out of Selly Oak in the 1950s.  My grandad moved out to live in a Quaker old folks home (Oak Tree House) in Bourneville in the late 60s after his second wife died.  His first, my grandma, died not long after giving birth to my Dad in the late 30s.  So I guess they all moved out of SO before the students moved in.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #83 on: 05 August, 2022, 12:48:43 pm »
1950s would be before the cars really moved in, judging by old photos that come up on the interwebs from time to time.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #84 on: 05 August, 2022, 01:19:48 pm »
"This is all that remained of the Selly Oak in the 1950's."
It had never occurred to me that there was an individual selly oak. I'd assumed Selly was derived from something else, maybe it was "the place of the oak tree belonging to Selwyn" or something. But what is "a selly oak"?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #85 on: 05 August, 2022, 01:30:00 pm »
Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selly_Oak
The name Selly is derived from variants of "scelf-lei" or shelf-meadow,[2] that is, pasture land on a shelf or terrace of land, probably the glacial deposits formed after the creation and later dispersal of Lake Harrison during the Quaternary period. Another source for the name comes from OE 'sele' meaning a building, or a hall.[3]

There's a whole section about the tree itself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selly_Oak#The_'Oak'_tree

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #86 on: 05 August, 2022, 01:40:40 pm »
 :thumbsup: