Author Topic: Bottom woes - any suggestions?  (Read 8086 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Bottom woes - any suggestions?
« Reply #25 on: 05 May, 2019, 03:54:10 pm »
I bumped into a fellow CTC member last week - who had the same issue several years ago. He had 6 months off cycling completely. When he did get back on the bike - he used a saddle implementing a design from an american leather saddle manufacturer - but on a cambium to save a lot of money. The idea is that each side flexes slightly as you pedal. He's lent it to me for a while - it felt pretty good yesterday and I could feel each side flex approx 5mm on the alternate down pedal.

Sounds familiar - the saddle that is.  Summat like this?

Mine's possibly an older model - they look a bit snazzier these days.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #26 on: 05 May, 2019, 05:15:43 pm »

« Reply #27 on: 05 May, 2019, 05:20:59 pm »
thanks Jiberjaber - you've just helped a luddite  ;D

T42 - most probably! I can't see the cutout on yours though. Looks comfy! Have you had similar issues with sit bone pain?

« Reply #28 on: 02 June, 2019, 04:22:47 pm »
Another update: I managed to get a follow-up appt with the musculoskeletal clinic several weeks after the steroid injection as I realised things were no better after cycling a little bit again. I'm now waiting for an ultrasound scan in mid June to see exactly what's going on,  with a review of the scan with the practitioner mid July.  Possibly another injection needed with imaging.
I've stopped cycling completely until I know for sure things have improved.  Am coping okish with not cycling - apart from when I see someone enjoying themselves on their bike! 😀

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 02 June, 2019, 04:57:48 pm »
T42 - most probably! I can't see the cutout on yours though. Looks comfy! Have you had similar issues with sit bone pain?

https://selleanatomica.com shows the various options. I had to similarly lace a SH Titanico X saddle to stop it cutting into my thighs. I generally prefer a stiffer saddle with a cutout; the steel Rivet Pearl Pass suits me quite well.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #30 on: 11 July, 2019, 09:59:33 pm »
Ultrasound done and reviewed - I have calcified hamstrings where they attach to the sitbones: likely causes: pressure, wear and tear, over-stretching, and muscle imbalances.
Previous steroid injection didn't help. I'm now being referred to the hip consultant at the local hospital for possibly another injection under ultrasound or x-ray.
I've also found a sports therapist who is really positive and optimistic for my recovery; the first professional to actually try and understand why the injury occurred; hypothesising that my back and hamstrings were over compensating for a weakness in certain parts of my glutes. He's given me strengthening exercises which i'm working away on.
No cycling or running at the moment, just swimming, walking and pilates.
Still hoping to get back to cycling - maybe next year?! :)

« Reply #31 on: 15 December, 2019, 03:20:35 pm »
Putting this up in case anyone has the misfortune of getting this literal pain in the ass injury!

I'm STILL not cycling. I've had x2 steroid injections via the NHS, second one was guided via ultrasound. Not much improvement, not getting any more!
My chiropractor recently told me about shockwave therapy (which I'd never heard of) and I've started treatment in a local chiropractic college on reduced fee. 4th year interns provide the assessment and treatment under guidance of tutors. I also had another ultrasound via the college which was really helpful.

I basically have proximal hamstring tendinopathy, probably with initial bursitis and also calcific areas - causes: from riding too much, muscle weaknesses/imbalances, bad luck and over stretching. Because I didn't know what I'd done for a good few months - I continued to ride on it - making  it much worse. I then drifted into running instead of cycling which lifted me a bit psychologically but is really a bad idea if excessive for the injury.

https://www.running-physio.com/phtvids/

https://www.running-physio.com/new-research-in-proximal-hamstring-tendinopathy-goom-et-al-2016/

So shockwave therapy, rehab exercises, and minimal running at mo.

I've also now got a recumbent which I'm learning to ride over the winter and hope will enable me to ride bigger miles on in the long term as it off loads any compression on the sitbones.

« Reply #32 on: 15 December, 2019, 07:49:14 pm »
Ouch.  I hope you get well soon

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #33 on: 15 December, 2019, 08:31:07 pm »
I really hope the bent works for you. Lots of cyclists have had problems with upwrongs but have enjoyed decades of great riding on a bent.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #34 on: 15 December, 2019, 10:14:20 pm »
Thanks  :thumbsup:Going to have to take it easy, working the hamstrings under too much load with the hip flexed can exacerbate things as well as compression from sitting.  Good job its shitty weather otherwise I'd be totally overdoing it on the recumbent!

« Reply #35 on: 15 December, 2019, 10:34:18 pm »
It may all be mumbojumbo but ask about PRP as well

« Reply #36 on: 16 December, 2019, 02:34:44 pm »
Prepared to try anything if it helps and doesn't cost the earth!
Thanks,  will consider prp as an option if no success with shockwave and rehab.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #37 on: 16 December, 2019, 06:52:38 pm »
TomP, many thanks for posting. And, best wishes.

« Reply #38 on: 17 December, 2019, 12:31:40 pm »
Cheers Tony  :thumbsup: