Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 68118 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #450 on: 14 May, 2019, 12:04:56 pm »
So - wowser - we were rather blown away by the penultimate episode last night  - spectacular does not do it justice.

And then I wake up this morning have a look at the reviews and see that almost everybody is hating on it....

Any love for last nights episode out there?

To be fair, many of the things the haters are saying are true.* But I still enjoyed it thoroughly.

* Proper horrendous spoilers under here if you've not watched yet - you have been warned.
(click to show/hide)

Oh well, perhaps I will finish off the books if and when they come out to see if GRRM can do a better job than D&D have done with the TV series finale.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Chris S

« Reply #451 on: 14 May, 2019, 05:09:48 pm »
In keeping with my relationships with other overdone franchises (Avengers for example), I'm finding the number of fucks I'm prepared to give are rapidly diminishing. I've found the last two seasons tough going, mostly because the plots are more and more contrived; to the point where I mostly won't care if they all fucking die - they're pretty much all unpleasant people. Except for Davos. He's OK.

(click to show/hide)

I'll stick with it to the bitter end (only ninety more minutes Chris) for completionist reasons.

caerau

« Reply #452 on: 14 May, 2019, 05:22:02 pm »
In keeping with my relationships with other overdone franchises (Avengers for example), I'm finding the number of fucks I'm prepared to give are rapidly diminishing. I've found the last two seasons tough going, mostly because the plots are more and more contrived; to the point where I mostly won't care if they all fucking die - they're pretty much all unpleasant people. Except for Davos. He's OK.

(click to show/hide)

I'll stick with it to the bitter end (only ninety more minutes Chris) for completionist reasons.

(click to show/hide)

I guess I just try and enjoy the spectacle.  I *can* see why others are hating on it - I guess I just don't invest that much emotional energy in it.  It's only a telly programme.

If he ends the books like that (though my patience is almost done on him actually ever writing them) though I shall stop.  I have done that with other series that went to shit after a while - notably the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind which went from being fucking awesome to being massively fucking awful and then downhill from there from about book five onwards.

Chris S

« Reply #453 on: 14 May, 2019, 05:30:20 pm »
(click to show/hide)

caerau

« Reply #454 on: 14 May, 2019, 05:33:17 pm »
Agreed.  Mua ha ha ha - now watch it and find out what I'm agreeing to latecomers! :demon:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #455 on: 14 May, 2019, 06:13:57 pm »
So, who thinks that:

(click to show/hide)

caerau

« Reply #456 on: 14 May, 2019, 06:51:32 pm »
My thoughts precisely  :thumbsup:

I successfully predicted her last kill :smug:

« Reply #457 on: 14 May, 2019, 06:57:52 pm »
So, who thinks that:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Chris S

« Reply #458 on: 14 May, 2019, 07:06:56 pm »
So, who thinks that:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #459 on: 15 May, 2019, 09:03:13 am »
I enjoyed the latest episode, though I understand some of the reservations people have expressed. M'colleague was absolutely furious at it...

(click to show/hide)

Like Chris S, my interest in GoT has been steadily diminishing and since around the middle of the fifth series I've only stuck with it because of the promise of a conclusion - having invested so much time into it, I might as well see it through now.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #460 on: 15 May, 2019, 11:21:51 am »
I enjoyed the latest episode, though I understand some of the reservations people have expressed. M'colleague was absolutely furious at it...

(click to show/hide)

Like Chris S, my interest in GoT has been steadily diminishing and since around the middle of the fifth series I've only stuck with it because of the promise of a conclusion - having invested so much time into it, I might as well see it through now.

(click to show/hide)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

caerau

« Reply #461 on: 15 May, 2019, 02:23:36 pm »
(click to show/hide)

citoyen

« Reply #462 on: 15 May, 2019, 03:13:32 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Chris S

« Reply #463 on: 15 May, 2019, 05:32:31 pm »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #464 on: 16 May, 2019, 09:34:27 pm »
I think this is a pretty good summary of GoT so far  ;D (the original twitter post doesn't contain spoilers - can't vouch for the replies)

https://twitter.com/Gabypincin/status/1127815083055353862

As for the penultimate episode, there was lots about it I didn't like...

(click to show/hide)

But did I find the penultimate episode entertaining? Yes absolutely. More than the earlier episodes in the this season.

« Reply #465 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:46:16 am »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

caerau

« Reply #466 on: 17 May, 2019, 10:49:08 am »
Tis a shame people can't get this angry about disease, poverty, war and despotism huh?

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #468 on: 19 May, 2019, 03:25:45 pm »
I am waiting for the books, Winds Of Winter and Dreams of Spring.
I am disappointed by the final two series on the telly.  The characters and plot have been undeveloped. 

A youtube commentator postulated Martin process was to write an outline then write the details of character and detailed development to get to justify the framework.  Unfortunately the show runners had their eyes on the next project and just squeezed the outline they were given without the development of the characters and the story. It seems to me that they are just ticking off points in the outline without explaining the cause.

I have not seen the current series, although I will still buy the blu-ray. I felt the penultimate series had lost its way.  It had clearly lost something without the support of the books.

« Reply #469 on: 20 May, 2019, 11:55:51 am »
On the whole a good ending. There will be a massive hole in my life which I expect to fill with Watchmen.

(click to show/hide)

It was the first show that I ever binged (well the first 3 series over the space of a bank holiday weekend a few years ago)

citoyen

Game of Thrones
« Reply #470 on: 20 May, 2019, 09:39:09 pm »
I thought the ending was surprisingly satisfactory. Favourite bit was What Drogon Did.

Chris S

« Reply #471 on: 20 May, 2019, 09:44:05 pm »
(click to show/hide)

caerau

« Reply #472 on: 21 May, 2019, 10:01:37 am »
(click to show/hide)

Agreed - was a nice if slightly over-idealistic ending I thought.

(click to show/hide)

citoyen

« Reply #473 on: 21 May, 2019, 10:32:31 am »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

caerau