Author Topic: What it's all about  (Read 75748 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
What it's all about
« on: 02 October, 2010, 07:05:02 pm »
1. Think of a bike (e.g. Carrera Vulcan, Pinarello Prince), an item of cycling gear (e.g. B&M Cyo, Brooks Swallow, handlebar streamers), a genre of cycling (e.g. MTB, audax), a ride (e.g. L2B, E2E, LEL) or something else.  The more specific, the better.

2. Start a 1-day poll, not a normal thread giving the options Seriously Uncool, Uncool, Cool or Sub-Zero.  It would be helpful to add a representative photo.

3. When the results are in, and when someone gets round to it, we'll post it into its rightful place* on the locked thread.  Simples.

If this is a really rubbish idea we'll scrap it after a month.

And, for the record, I despise Top Gear.  I am trying to fight fire with fire here.

*this may not be done in a statistically sound manner, but the librarian will sort of squint at the votes and try and put it in the right category.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: How to use the Cool Wall
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2010, 11:51:53 am »
Right! My turn to moan about the Cool Wall!!  :P

I've noticed in the Cool Wall Results that there are some odd placings of items. How do you work out which category something goes in? I assume it's which ever category gets the most votes. ie Something gets 10 votes for seriously uncool and the remaining three options all get less than 10 each so it goes in seriously uncool?

If that's right, then how come some things are not where they should be?

For example, my hair got 4 votes for cool and only 3 for seriously uncool! So why is it deemed seriously uncool?
Even if you combine the votes, it still got more for cool and sub-zero than it did for uncool and seriously uncool.

My hair is not the only thing in the wrong place.

My hair is cool dammit!  :P

*sulks*
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2010, 12:13:47 pm »
Some polls are going on too long and getting votes after the item has gone on the wall.  Or something.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

red marley

« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2010, 12:16:14 pm »
The cool wall is going to look cooler with Bobb's hair stuck to it wherever it is. I'm just a bit worried it might clash with the anodised titanium jewellery.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2010, 05:50:07 pm »
Some polls are going on too long and getting votes after the item has gone on the wall.  Or something.
That's OK, we ignore them after 24 hours(ish).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2010, 06:40:55 pm »
If that's right, then how come some things are not where they should be?

I thought JC decides where to put things, ignoring the votes?

My hair is not the only thing in the wrong place.
POTD?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2010, 07:20:10 pm »
For example, my hair got 4 votes for cool and only 3 for seriously uncool! So why is it deemed seriously uncool?
Even if you combine the votes, it still got more for cool and sub-zero than it did for uncool and seriously uncool.

You ignored the "Wack" votes though didn't you. I didn't. :)

« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2010, 11:03:57 am »
Is anybody else scanning down the 'While You Were Away' thread titles and deciding where you would vote for them on the Cool Wall...

...even the ones that are not candidates for the cool wall?  :-\

I've just expected to vote 'Bikejournal'  Cool, and 'The Great Egg Race' as Subzero.   :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 07 December, 2010, 12:25:30 pm »
Why are Studded Snow Tyres in "Cool" rather than "Sub-zero"?

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2011, 07:45:22 pm »
As we've pretty much exhausted everything that may or may not be cool in the world of cycling, I have made the Cool Wall read-only as a permanent warning to prospective members that yes, we really are that eccentric*.  If there's anough demand it can be reactivated.

Do the maths if you like, but I'm pretty sure Von Broad is the coolest by popular vote.

*we never did eccentric bottom brackets, did we?