Author Topic: How much???  (Read 1724 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
How much???
« on: 02 September, 2016, 07:16:15 pm »
I bought some Advocate flea treatment from the vet today. £48, which is a little more than I remember paying before.

However, when I got home I noticed that there were only 3 months' treatment in the box. The box was labelled correctly, but was otherwise identical to the last time I bought some, which had six months' treatment.

I see that I can obtain this stuff online for under £30 for 6 months.

Bugger!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: How much???
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2016, 07:19:07 pm »
We've given up on chemical flea and tick stuff as I was worried what they were doing to Tilley's body and now use diatomaceous earth. Natural, like. ;) Works a treat!

« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2016, 04:35:59 pm »
We signed Tilly up to the "well dog" program at our vets. It costs about £100 a year and she gets all her shots, flea, worming and tick treatment for that plus checkups, nail clipping if needed and a discount on some other treatments (got 20% on having her neutered).

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2016, 10:19:01 am »
I can't remember what it costs at our vets, but it's always a wince-worthy experience when I hand over my debit card to pay for our two mogs. I'm sure vets charge a nice mark-up, but unlike online retailers, they have to run a surgery so I don't begrudge them too much.

A quick Google indicates diatomaceous earth is mostly woo.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2016, 10:34:03 am »
I bought some Advocate flea treatment from the vet today. £48, which is a little more than I remember paying before.

However, when I got home I noticed that there were only 3 months' treatment in the box. The box was labelled correctly, but was otherwise identical to the last time I bought some, which had six months' treatment.

I see that I can obtain this stuff online for under £30 for 6 months.

Bugger!

Reduce their real estate - shave off the beard!

« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2016, 03:43:17 pm »
... I see that I can obtain this stuff online for under £30 for 6 months. ...

Except that for the stuff which is actually effective, you'll probably need a vet's prescription, and your vet will in all likelihood charge you for that, probably obviating at least some of the saving.

I suspect there may be a solution in finding a EU country that sells the required product, but which doesn't have such stringent requirements on prescriptions, and then personally importing it.  It's probably not legal, but I'd think there's a low risk of being caught.
Actually, it is rocket science.