Author Topic: Totally off topic thread - pet dogs.  (Read 8650 times)

Re: Totally off topic thread - pet dogs.
« Reply #25 on: 12 October, 2016, 11:10:55 am »
Staffie. As recommended by the Kennel Club...

« Reply #26 on: 12 October, 2016, 04:51:40 pm »
I grew up with border collies and absolutely love them. Incredibly intelligent dogs. But pcolbeck is absolutely right. Without the right sort of input, lots of exercise and a strong hand, they can be loopy and quite dangerous.

Never forgotten going to pick son up from cubs. Amid group of parents and older siblings waiting outside there was border collie going nuts, jumping around, barking, frightening kids. I looked at it, raised a finger and used The Whistle. It sat and didn't move. Teenager looked at me in amazement "How did you do that, we've never been able to get her to sit once!".
"My father was a shepherd." satisfied her.
Could have said that border collies are desperate to bond to someone with a commanding tone. That was a lovely dog and would have followed me home unquestioning if I'd clicked my fingers. I shudder to think what their household was like or what happened to the dog.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 12 October, 2016, 07:08:43 pm »
Don't get a border collie. They are absolutely brilliant dogs if you have the time and inclination to provide them with the stimulus they need. They can get bored if not given enough to do and then they get a bit loopy.

As the neighbour of a poorly trained border collie that has a phobia of traffic (in Birmingham) and wants to kill leaflet spammers, I can't stress this enough.

« Reply #28 on: 12 October, 2016, 10:32:22 pm »
Whippet.
Not boisterous
Don't bark
Don't shed much hair
Don't like getting wet or muddy
Very affectionate
Don't need much walking
Don't need much food
Don't do big poos
Lightweight so less inclined to knock kids over
Sleep most of the day
Only need short walks
Pretty ailment free
Will end up sleeping on your sofa and bed
Curl-up very small so don't take up much room

« Reply #29 on: 13 October, 2016, 09:20:11 am »
Italian Whippet, if you like whippets in general. Smaller and neater versions. Saw a guy with one in the waiting room of a tyre fitters. Not to my taste. Prefer dogs with the ability to walk or run far. Tough terriers, lurchers with a bit of endurance dog in them (seen some interesting collie cross lurchers that are kind of between long hound and collie in temperament and endurance. A couple of mates had that sort of dog from rescue verges. Both dogs would walk for as long as their owners wanted to but also quite happy with a half hour followed by the a nice kip. One of those dogs used to be quite happy waiting in a car while the owner did site visits as part of their job. Then half hour run for lunch and afternoon of more site visits. Perfect dog.for their lifestyle.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30 on: 15 October, 2016, 06:06:21 pm »
This thread is timely as we're thinking of getting a dog. I'll be perfectly honest, I'm not a dog person at all and this is why we've never had one before, but both my wife and son would love us to have a dog and I'm prepared to compromise, especially as the human child will be leaving the nest soon so we need a replacement.

I've been doing a bit of online research to look for suitable breeds but would appreciate some suggestions based on real-life experience.

• Daily walks are no problem

• Not too vigorous, though I don't mind the idea of taking it with me occasionally when I go for a run

• Wouldn't mind a breed that likes chasing rabbits and rats (we get a lot of these in our garden, though I don't want dead bodies brought into the house), but not one that will go after other dogs when out in public

• Companionable, sociable, easy-going - we have one adult son in the house and no plans to have more children, so it's generally fairly quiet

• Small to medium size

• Minimal moulting

• Happy to be mollycoddled/treated as substitute child

• Won't eat the furniture

• We have a large house with a big but unsecure garden - and we're on a busy main road, so nothing that would be likely to escape and run out into the path of a lorry (though I appreciate responsible ownership is the only way to be sure).

So far, the one that is coming out looking like the favourite is the Parson/Jack Russell or Wire Fox Terrier. I like the look of a Border Terrier or Cairn Terrier too but my wife isn't so keen ('too brown'). I also like the Glen of Imaal Terrier but the breed notes suggest it doesn't get on with other dogs. Norwich Terrier looks interesting too.

Cockapoo is a non-starter. Like TPMB12, I have an irrational dislike of the things, even though they look ideal on paper. Could be partly because they're so fashionable, partly because I really hate the name.

Staffies are a no-no too.

Any suggestions for other breeds worth looking at very welcome.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #31 on: 15 October, 2016, 06:12:58 pm »
Italian Whippet

Not familiar with this one so I looked it up. Looks suitable for me, but wife isn't keen - too skinny.

citoyen

« Reply #32 on: 15 October, 2016, 07:28:25 pm »
Mrs hatler's cousin had a soft coated wheaten terrier. Unbelievably well behaved. Never ever pulled on the lead, even when cycling (with lead in a loose grip). Cool around kids. Happy to be left all day (though he didn't make a habit of that). Doesn't moult. Were we ever to get a dog (and we won't), it would be one of these.

That's one that I've been looking at too. Good to hear of your positive experience.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #33 on: 15 October, 2016, 09:08:47 pm »
Won't eat the furniture

Any puppie will eat the furniture.  Especially if bored.  They soon grow out of it.

• We have a large house with a big but unsecure garden - and we're on a busy main road, so nothing that would be likely to escape and run out into the path of a lorry (though I appreciate responsible ownership is the only way to be sure).

An unsecured garden isn't going to work with a new dog.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 16 October, 2016, 02:19:10 pm »
Hair/moulting apart, I think that a spaniel would suit Citoyen. It's a shame that you have taken against cockapoos as my limited experience of them (Auntie Helen's) is that they are lovely friendly animals which, for a dog, give the impression of being clean. I would seriously consider getting one after Morph has shuffled off this mortal coil. He has been an absolutely lovely dog, and I think he will be very difficult to replace, but there is no question that our house has obvious signs that a dog lives here, mostly because it's a full time job getting rid of the hair that he leaves behind.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

« Reply #35 on: 16 October, 2016, 02:41:23 pm »
It's a shame that you have taken against cockapoos as my limited experience of them (Auntie Helen's) is that they are lovely friendly animals which, for a dog, give the impression of being clean.

I might reconsider. It's already a major change of heart for me to contemplate the possibility of getting a dog at all.

Basil is right though - we are going to have to do something about making the garden more secure first.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 16 October, 2016, 02:45:03 pm »
It's a shame that you have taken against cockapoos as my limited experience of them (Auntie Helen's) is that they are lovely friendly animals which, for a dog, give the impression of being clean.

I'll second that.  I'm not a dog person, and rather severely allergic, but well-trained cockapoos score an "They're all right I suppose, if you like that sort of thing."

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #37 on: 16 October, 2016, 05:59:03 pm »

I'll second that.  I'm not a dog person, and rather severely allergic, but well-trained cockapoos score an "They're all right I suppose, if you like that sort of thing."

I'm obviously totally biased:
Still for a moment by paulfulford, on Flickr

but a cockapoo* ticks all your boxes apart from the last two which I doubt any dog will at various stages in its life.

* and I hate the name too, I describe her variously as an expensive mongrel or a spaniel cross

« Reply #38 on: 16 October, 2016, 08:01:10 pm »
Be aware that dogs attack and can (easily) kill young children.

« Reply #39 on: 16 October, 2016, 08:30:24 pm »
I hate the name too, I describe her variously as an expensive mongrel or a spaniel cross
Good. I wish more people were like you.

FWIW - We've got two. I hate them.

« Reply #40 on: 16 October, 2016, 08:30:56 pm »
Be aware that dogs attack and can (easily) kill young children.

So do toasters but I'll be fucked if I'm not having crumpets for supper.

« Reply #41 on: 17 October, 2016, 02:32:17 pm »
Socialize up to 16 weeks as much as you can. One expert said contact with over 100 people, dogs, etc in the first 16 weeks is very important. Most breeders do not bother socializing puppies since it's a business and they don't have the issues that arise from poor socialization at an early stage.

The other issue is the unscrupulous breeder who mixes one or more dog with inbred dangerous traits. German.shepherds and Rottweiler dogs were once the "devil dogs" tearing off kids faces, killing them. Then breeders started to wise up and bred the dangerous traits out. Any dog showing a dangerous tendency was not bred from.eventually these two breeds became safer and the unscrupulous breeders moved on to other breeds. It's these unscrupulous breeders you need to target and take out. Then you can work on eliminating dangerous tendencies inherent with certain breeds and crosses.

Too much effort is taken on owners and individual breeds,  it's the breeders that officials need to sort out.

Well that's what the dog behaviourist expert being interviewed on the news recently so passionately and eloquently said. More eloquent than I did for sure.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #42 on: 17 October, 2016, 04:01:24 pm »
Re pups & destructiveness:

And a month or two later:

Score: one chair seat, one espresso cup, two bidons (which had been full of water).  And we didn't leave the chair there, they pushed it several metres across the kitchen.

You'll also notice that there are no cupboard or drawer handles below worktop height.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #43 on: 24 October, 2016, 08:39:58 pm »
Which goes to show that you really should crate puppies :).

Here's Hana The Great Dane posing:

Although she also often looks like this:

Great Danes don't need a lot of space and are, in general, quite sedate when indoors. They do, however, shed a lot and we can immediately spot if the robot hover hasn't done it's daily run.
I want another one, but despite my common above about not needing a lot of space, their furniture does take up some and we currently don't have room for one more in my wife's studio.

If you are not getting from a rescue, then make sure that the breeder is reputable, insist on meeting the 'parents' and they should offer health records without any resistance.

citoyen

« Reply #44 on: 25 October, 2016, 03:03:41 pm »
I'm obviously totally biased:
 but a cockapoo* ticks all your boxes apart from the last two which I doubt any dog will at various stages in its life.

Yeah, I'm coming round to the idea that a cockapoo might be worth considering. Especially if...

* and I hate the name too, I describe her variously as an expensive mongrel or a spaniel cross

...I don't have to call it a fucking cockapoo!  :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #45 on: 25 October, 2016, 03:23:09 pm »

...I don't have to call it a fucking cockapoo!  :thumbsup:

Heard one referred to as a Spoodle the other day - strictly a Springer-Poodle cross. May try for some domestic rebranding :)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #46 on: 26 October, 2016, 06:09:28 am »
Spoodle is what the Aussies call them.

You could just call it a cocker cross or spaniel cross.

Poppy is my third dog and she is so easy to live with. No dog hair, no doggy smell, can walk for miles but doesn't need to be walked every day, Intelligent, super loving, quick to train. I find it really useful that I can pick her up too. I would definitely recommend cockapoos
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

Totally off topic thread - pet dogs.
« Reply #47 on: 30 December, 2016, 12:11:16 am »
Having spent some time researching breeds, my wife settled on a Parson Russell Terrier as her preference. She found a few reputable breeders and one of them in Cheshire currently has some pups for sale, born at the end of November. Since we were driving back down from up north today, we made a little detour to take a look. Only two pups left from the litter but one of them seemed to bond instantly with my wife... (son and I both took to him easily as well)

She'd phone back to put a deposit down before we got home. He's coming to live with us from late January.