Author Topic: R.I.P. Andrea Camilieri (Montalbano's daddy)  (Read 1202 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
R.I.P. Andrea Camilieri (Montalbano's daddy)
« on: 18 July, 2019, 01:32:52 pm »
Aged 93, blind for the last few years.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: R.I.P. Andrea Camilieri (Montalbano's daddy)
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2019, 05:42:19 pm »
Interesting life story, well, published late in life and then quite prolific writer at eight books a year.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2019, 08:44:03 pm »
I might even be able to catch up with him now :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2019, 08:51:05 am »
Interesting life story, well, published late in life and then quite prolific writer at eight books a year.

Somewhat droll that he worked on producing a Maigret series on TV.

The latest Montalbano series is less convincing, more like parody of the earlier ones. Trouble is that Montalbano should be Questore by now, Fazio should be running the shop and Mimi should be nursing an unmentionable disease in a retirement home and letching at the nurses.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2019, 09:09:28 am »
Meh, they've always been somewhat farcical, in the tradition of Commedia dell Arte.  Generally enjoyable, but best taken with a large pinch of salt. We watch because we like Sicily, and they certainly have a sense of place. The books, however, are so verbose - in the Italian style - as to be almost unreadable.

OT - it's such a shame that the BBC TV adaptation of Michael Dibdin's Aurelio Zen novels was so atrocious that only one series was made. And a shame Dibdin died so young too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2019, 02:33:21 pm »
Meh, they've always been somewhat farcical, in the tradition of Commedia dell Arte.  Generally enjoyable, but best taken with a large pinch of salt. We watch because we like Sicily, and they certainly have a sense of place. The books, however, are so verbose - in the Italian style - as to be almost unreadable.

OT - it's such a shame that the BBC TV adaptation of Michael Dibdin's Aurelio Zen novels was so atrocious that only one series was made. And a shame Dibdin died so young too.

The books are very forumulaic certain number of pages per book, certain number of pages per chapter, certain number of chapters.  The language is both Italian and Sicilian.  Which some other Italians can't understand.

Not heard of the Aurelio Zen ones, any highlights?