Author Topic: Wendy be famous now  (Read 4511 times)

Re: Wendy be famous now
« Reply #25 on: 15 January, 2022, 12:51:23 pm »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 15 January, 2022, 01:33:56 pm »
Questioning a road plaaner about a proposed cycle lane (across the face of a 'T' junction with a dashed give way line at the end suggesting cycles should give way to passing traffic before a pinch point  >:( ), he came up with the line "Not all cycle lanes are intended to be used, but are there to raise the awareness of drivers."   :o :o  :facepalm:  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Yes, I once had a conversation with the council planning dept about a stretch of road with crap cycle lanes on. The response was "The purpose of the cycle lanes there is to put the motor vehicles closer to the centre of the road, which encourages them to slow down past the school". So again, not for the actual use of cyclists.

I'm suspicious that that's also the reasoning for this one, which is useless for cycling on account of serving as a car park for dog-emptiers, ending abruptly just before the top of the hill, and in autumn contains more slime than Ghostbusters 2.  Naturally you get bullied for cycling outside the chutney zone in a way that never used to happen before the lane was painted.

The traffic lights at the junction are also interesting, being a relatively recent addition.  The junction operated fine without signals for decades with all the traffic from the late lamented car factory.  I'm convinced that their primary function is to hold a queueue of cars with their interminably long red period, in order to discourage speeding on the dual cabbageway.

« Reply #27 on: 18 January, 2022, 12:00:42 pm »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 18 January, 2022, 12:08:14 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-south-yorkshire-59987284?fbclid=IwAR189vApgIkBx66XkJJOioNmsOOwynSnlh2V_nZbr627skLCHOm6n6_Yd8A

A nurse in Sheffield on the close passes she has to suffer.

That first one, where the lorry comes ridiculously close, is encouraged by the road layout: the "optional" (ie broken lines) cycle lane encourages the cyclist to ride in the gutter and leave the space for the lorry driver to do what he did. Had she ignored that cycle lane, and taken primary, then my guess is that that would have discouraged that sort of potentially lethal pass. But then she would have been subject to verbal abuse for "not getting in the fucking cycle lane".

The lorry is driving in the cycle lane at the island. I don't know how the traffic planners get away with painting lanes for motor vehicles that are less than the width of a lorry, but similar examples are all over the place.
Lanes for motor vehicles which are less than the width of a lorry are numerous, but not as common as lanes for cycles which are less than the width of bike's handlebars.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #29 on: 18 January, 2022, 12:35:58 pm »
I was intrigued by the rear facing GoPro mount apparently on the rear axle. Then I saw the first generation Burley trailer hitch on the other side and thought, this person knows their trailer hitches. I think that makes me a trailer geek, but I'm okay with that.

« Reply #30 on: 18 January, 2022, 12:43:51 pm »
The f-ing telegraph had an article on t'web with the loop hole shit basically admiting lampard had his phone in his hand but can't prove he was using it but still it's a war on motorists with mikey being described as a vigilante

(Edited as put the wrong ex Chelsea player)

« Reply #31 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:58:34 pm »
Lanes for motor vehicles which are less than the width of a lorry are numerous, but not as common as lanes for cycles which are less than the width of bike's handlebars.

That's ok. As every driver knows, a bike is only as wide as its tyres.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.