Author Topic: A trip to the beach, with kites.  (Read 4244 times)

A trip to the beach, with kites.
« on: 23 December, 2008, 01:41:17 am »
It was decided a trip to Watergate bay would be a good way to celebrate the end of term and the 2nd shortest day of the year, and a good oppurtunity to vanquish the hangovers from fridays party with some crisp sea air.  It was quickly decided after a bottle of port each on friday that Watergate bay is actually quite a long way from Plymouth and we just couldn't really be arsed, so we decided to head to Bantham.  Through an apathetic approach to map reading we ended up at Bigbury on Sea instead, but we found a beach and 5 of us headed down to the strip of beach twixt burgh island and the mainland to have a play with some kites.

Photos courtesy of Guy;

Re: A trip to the beach, with kites.
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2008, 01:50:53 am »
The one with the turquoise ends - 16 foot span or thereabouts?

There must be some serious tug on that :thumbsup:

I have 3 x 6 foot flexifoils.
When I've flown them in tandem, it doesn't take much wind to snap the end off the broomstick  :o

« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2008, 01:58:16 am »
Thats my mates 6m blade, not exactly sure what the span is.  We took 3 and 6m foils, and a 9m water kite and the blade was by far the most tiring to fly.  The lift it generates is ridiculous, I got painfully pumped just holding it at 12o'clock.

« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2008, 02:08:08 am »
holding it at 12o'clock.

That's where I usually go when I Need To Rest For A While.  ;D

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:27:59 am »
#1 Son flies kites - mostly on the vast open spaces of Holkham, Hunstanton and Wells beaches.

Since he started - his torso has become decidedly triangular in shape - he is seriously strong in the upper body. It's quite a workout it seems.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2008, 09:12:48 am »
Cool.  I'm not into the big kites so much - I'm more of a fighters man: All the stunts just by reading the variation in tension on a single line.  Totally absorbing.

Anytime it's not precipitating, there's a kite to fly.
Getting there...