Author Topic: Pendle 600 - Anyone know any details?  (Read 103521 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Re: Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #75 on: 27 May, 2012, 09:17:41 pm »
The route sheet says -

22:00 for BRM
23:16 for BR

Looks like both are on offer  :thumbsup:
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #76 on: 27 May, 2012, 09:25:45 pm »
That was an option previously but the last AGM removed the option of offering a BR if outside BRM time. For what it's worth, I argued against the change but most disagreed with me. He would have to offer two events, BR and BRM with riders chosing before the start. He hasn't, so no option.

The ride is listed as a BRM in the calendar, so 40 hrs only.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #77 on: 27 May, 2012, 09:33:47 pm »
That was an option previously but the last AGM removed the option of offering a BR if outside BRM time. For what it's worth, I argued against the change but most disagreed with me. He would have to offer two events, BR and BRM with riders chosing before the start. He hasn't, so no option.

The ride is listed as a BRM in the calendar, so 40 hrs only.

:o

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #78 on: 27 May, 2012, 11:21:34 pm »
Can rides be offered at BR at the last minute... or once they are in the calendar is that it...

so we're stuck with 40hrs and the other BRM rules such as wearing our 'sashes, Sam Browne's or vests' and not having the missus bring out the drinks and cake as we pass because it is 'personal support' other than at a control.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #79 on: 28 May, 2012, 05:59:01 am »
No difference between BR and BRM regarding reflective vests and support between controls.

You'd have to talk to one of the powers that be regarding introducing a BR option. Strictly speaking, new events/ changes have to be published in Arrivee before the start. There isn't enough time for that now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #80 on: 28 May, 2012, 09:04:21 am »
I guess one blessing is that the Robin Hood's Bay control is at the top of the steep hill down to the shore.   (I still might nip down to dip my toes in the water tho:))

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #81 on: 28 May, 2012, 10:30:40 am »
If there was 10,000 metres of climbing the ride might qualify as one of the 'Super Randonees', which would give it a time allowance of 50 hours.  http://sites.google.com/site/ledauphinegratine/home/home/super-randonnees
It will be interesting to see the figures that come back from the event. It might be that completion of the event at 40 hours will carry a lot of prestige in future years.

CramCycle

• Mille Failte
    • The Bicycling Biochemist
« Reply #82 on: 28 May, 2012, 11:42:10 am »
Anyone have an e-mailable version of the routesheet? between Royal Mail and An Post, I have little faith in recieving the route sheet in time over here.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #83 on: 28 May, 2012, 11:49:36 am »
This route looks totally badass for want of a better expression ;D 
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #84 on: 28 May, 2012, 12:27:27 pm »
Anyone have an e-mailable version of the routesheet? between Royal Mail and An Post, I have little faith in recieving the route sheet in time over here.

I would  like a copy too, may come out and cheer you  along  :)

« Reply #85 on: 28 May, 2012, 01:09:47 pm »
It might be amusing to create some profiles for this event along the lines of these.

http://sites.google.com/site/ledauphinegratine/profils-profiles

« Reply #86 on: 28 May, 2012, 10:25:27 pm »
Got my route sheet today, but....

I noticed that the A(2) on the entry page has changed to A and that the route sheet info. does not mention being able to sleep at the Hall the night before. I'm hoping this is just an oversight because I and at least one other are relying on sleeping there on the Friday night. Someone please tell me that I've misunderstood.

Mike.

« Reply #87 on: 28 May, 2012, 11:22:27 pm »
looks like you're in the car park with myself - also got my sheet today and noticed that it goes down the Lyth valley, not to Kendal - lovely road for cycling once the initial (gradual) climb out of Bowness is over, it might ease some of the pain at that point.

« Reply #88 on: 29 May, 2012, 08:26:38 am »
I thought the A(2) referred to the original 2 sleep controls at Melmerby and Seascale.  Now it's just a sleep control at Seascale.   Gonna be a push to get to Seascale before it gets light on Sunday morning I reckon. Whinlatter pass at dawn??

Really looking forward to this - it's gonna be epic.
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #89 on: 29 May, 2012, 07:14:36 pm »
A refers to accommodation before and/or after the event.
Z refers to sleeping facilities during the event.

The Z is still there and the A is just an A, not A2, so only one night of accommodation. The question is, is that night before or after the event or is it an error?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #90 on: 29 May, 2012, 08:46:21 pm »
I am wondering where I am going to sleep!

I think I am on about 20h pace for 400 and then 480 at the 'sleep stop' will be day light and feeding time.

I can feel a bus shelter comming.

« Reply #91 on: 29 May, 2012, 10:04:35 pm »
I can feel a bus shelter comming.
Not many Bus shelters on the moors around Hartside Pass

« Reply #92 on: 30 May, 2012, 12:50:39 pm »
I've never done a ride long enough to need a sleep, so I am looking at this from a fresh perspective.  Let's say I aim to get round in just under 40 hours with 3 hours sleeping time.  If I take my 3 hour sleep half way round, then I will certainly 'time out' at the next control, because by half way I will only have generated 3/2 = 1hr 30mins spare time.

On these longer routes, is there no latitude in the timing of the intermediate controls?

As stated upthread, it seems silly to ride 75% of the route without a sleep and then have a kip in the daytime at Seascale.  Leaving Seascale at about 1pm would be OK for finishing in time I think.  I would rather stop when it is pitch black and ride in the light.

Thoughts?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #93 on: 30 May, 2012, 01:01:00 pm »
I've never done a ride long enough to need a sleep, so I am looking at this from a fresh perspective.  Let's say I aim to get round in just under 40 hours with 3 hours sleeping time.  If I take my 3 hour sleep half way round, then I will certainly 'time out' at the next control, because by half way I will only have generated 3/2 = 1hr 30mins spare time.

On these longer routes, is there no latitude in the timing of the intermediate controls?

As stated upthread, it seems silly to ride 75% of the route without a sleep and then have a kip in the daytime at Seascale.  Leaving Seascale at about 1pm would be OK for finishing in time I think.  I would rather stop when it is pitch black and ride in the light.

Thoughts?

It's best not to aim to finish in the full time.  On my first 600 I just rode and saw where I got to, and finished in 38.50 (limit was about 42h).  A sleep at 350 - 400km would be a better plan.  Also, you should hopefully go a bit faster at the start, as you should get some pace from the group.  You obviously don't want to burn yourself out but make sure you don't faff about or go slower than feels comfortable, just to stick to your 40h schedule.  If you feel good at the start, go well and build up a time buffer!  There are no prizes for finishing with minutes to spare.

Also, I don't think I've ever got 3h sleep on a 600.  90 minutes should allow you to continue :)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #94 on: 30 May, 2012, 01:58:28 pm »
It's a pity I have a life because I'm on rippin' form after the BCM and the K&SW

But another weekend away biking is not going to happen

« Reply #95 on: 30 May, 2012, 02:10:13 pm »
It's a pity I have a life because I'm on rippin' form after the BCM and the K&SW

Remember this? :-

"the path of excess leads to boredom" :)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #96 on: 30 May, 2012, 02:12:54 pm »

Remember this? :-

"the path of excess leads to boredom" :)

Yeah yeah I know :)  Less is more.  I hope you have the same excellent weather on the Pendle 600 that I had on both recent events

« Reply #97 on: 30 May, 2012, 02:22:44 pm »
I was very impressed by your 600s on successive weekends.  I won't be doing this one this time; it's just too hard for my first 600 at 9AAA although it looks like a beautiful ride.  I've had a few weeks off the bike until last week's Tan Hill 200 in 27C plus wind, which gave me areally hard time and it's only 4.5AAA.  I'll do Chris's Three Coasts, hopefully.  But I'm going to be thinking about this weekend's  ride while I'm walking the North York Moors with my brothers!

Good luck all!

« Reply #98 on: 30 May, 2012, 05:35:08 pm »

Also, you should hopefully go a bit faster at the start, as you should get some pace from the group. 

Mr B... they always ride off too fast and I can't keep up!  :-[

Anyway, enough with the grousing, I am sure it will be an educational experience and I am not going to get all worked up about it if the clock runs out.  I will set my alarm for for t + 90mins as soon as I feel like I can get off to the land of nod.  Also the weather looks spot on, so that will help - less variety of clothing required.

Peter, I thought about the Tan Hill riders that day, I decided to do a 100k tour of the Lakes instead and when the thermometer hit 30° and I stopped to put my feet in a stream, I was really glad not to be with you lot!  You must have had terrible trouble keeping hydrated.  You are right of course, it is a stupid ride to try as a first 600, I have no defence, but am eyeing up the later (flatter) ones as more realistic propositions.

« Reply #99 on: 30 May, 2012, 05:48:30 pm »
Paul, 30C makes a bit more sense, I was only guessing!  Hydration was important and I got through 6 or 7 bottles and a couple of pints of milk., which may not sound a lot but I ususally do a 200 on a couple of bottles and a pint of milk.  It's still a great ride though.  I think you'll get round ok.  You're quite a bit younger than me and a strong rider and I think you have the right attitude: just ride it and if you "qualify", fine, if not, it's still a fantastic route.  That was how I approached the Old 240, and it worked for me.

Did you do your recce of Wrynose and Hardknott?  By the way, I expect you know this, but if the 600 takes you up Kirkstone Pass from Ambleside there is some really good Coniston beer in the Inn, though you are morely likely to be in need of a blood transfusion!

All the best

Peter