Author Topic: Fixed TT build  (Read 2056 times)

simonp

Fixed TT build
« on: 29 June, 2015, 04:38:52 pm »
Having ridden the 12h on my VN with some clip-ons and a set-forward seat post, I've decided to look into building up a fixed TT frame.

Currently thinking a Planet X Carbon Stealth Pro frame will do, as they have rear facing drop-outs. I've already ordered some deep section wheels built onto fixed/fixed hub so that side of it's sorted. I need to decide on frame size, and what components I need:

- want aero bars with some degree of adjustable stack height so I can find a position I can ride in the 24h but can drop lower for riding a club 10
 - probably will use the Shimano DA 7710 chainset which is very nice

What brake calipers, levers, saddle should I get?

These are the bars I'm considering, only drawback I can see with these is the fixed elbow pad width could be uncomfortable on the shoulders on a long TT:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/3t-vola-pro-tttriathlon-aerobar/

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Fixed TT build
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2015, 04:55:10 pm »
FYI it looks like some of Ribble's TT frames also have rear-facing dropouts.

Bars: Get the Zipp Vuka Alumina Clip plus whatever basebar you like.  The Vukas are the most adjustable clip-ons known to man, are well-made and unusually for Zipp are also decent value.  You can also get risers for them, or at least you can for the top mount version.
Calipers: whatever you like [EDIT: Apparently Shimano are good at the moment]
Levers: Whatever they are, make sure they have the correct exit point for internal cable routing.  I don't own a set but the Sram ones look quite nice.  TRP currently have some blingy carbon ones on clearance at CRC, though I don't own those either so can't comment on why they're being cleared!

simonp

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2015, 11:59:07 pm »
Thanks for the advice, ta.

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2015, 11:38:48 am »
It is done. Pics to follow.