Author Topic: Winter Solstice  (Read 4190 times)

Winter Solstice
« on: 13 December, 2015, 03:48:26 pm »
It's the 2015 edition of Winter Solstice next weekend (20th Dec 2015) and I went round the route yesterday, just to check that everything is in place.

One thing I spotted was that the railway bridge on Chester Road, Woodford, is shut.  It really is shut, even to cyclists, so there's no chance of blagging your way through this one.

No problem, but we'll just have to divert via Poynton centre.  I've updated the route sheet and GPX files at PeakAudax and there's even a link to a map of the diversion.

Ben T

Re: Winter Solstice
« Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2015, 06:39:40 pm »
No worries if not but are you likely to be amenable to EOLs from the fair-weather cyclist bearing correct money and completed form Mike?  :)

« Reply #2 on: 13 December, 2015, 08:30:53 pm »
... are you likely to be amenable to EOLs ... ?

No.  I'll be too busy looking after my riders to be able to deal with EOLs, that's unless the weather is really bad and there aren't any.  If that is the case your question is probably academic anyway.  However, I will still be open for online entries until Saturday afternoon, that's if I still have spare brevet cards.

« Reply #3 on: 18 December, 2015, 04:28:08 pm »
I've just loaded up the horsebox with mince pies and tea bags, so the first control, just after Middlewich, will be in the "horsebox café".  Here are two AUKs sadly no longer with us, enjoying our hospitality in (I think it was) 2012.

« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2015, 12:12:20 am »
Very poignant.  Mike, I'm sorry to be missing this and the opportunity for riding with friends and Christmas illumination through the decorated villages of Cheshire.  It has always been a highlight of the year.  Best wishes to everyone!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #5 on: 21 December, 2015, 01:42:43 pm »
It was a very fast and pleasant ride, with a lot of SOL....

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2015, 10:01:17 pm »
Thanks for organising Mike!  A great day to be awheel with good company and excellent controls. 

(I can confirm that riding 200km on a fat-tyred belt-driven commuter bike with only flat handlebars whilst pushing a reasonable pace is roughly as knackering as I normally find a 600...)
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #7 on: 28 November, 2016, 10:24:51 pm »
The 2016 edition of Winter Solstice is now FULL and I'm not taking any more entries.  There is an alternative, which is to ride the St Lucy Group Perm on Saturday 10th Dec from Prees Heath.  Or you could ride the Holt Perm on any date (other than the 18th Dec 2016).

« Reply #8 on: 12 December, 2016, 09:45:01 pm »
The Winter Solstice, to be run this Sunday, will now start from Woodley Community Centre, rather than my parent's garage.  If you are entered for the ride, I've just sent you an email, so please make sure you go to the right place!

I have an unprecedented 115 entries for what used to be an X-rated jaunt around Cheshire.  If everyone turns up and rides, that will be double the previous highest attendance.  We started off with 9 in 1999, and have had as few as 1 when we had temperatures below zero for the entire day.

« Reply #9 on: 15 December, 2016, 12:10:13 pm »
Further update to the route sheet - it looks like the road closure on Chester Road at 8.1km and on the return at 193.7km will be cleared and we can just continue through the traffic lights as normal.  If you look at the route map it should be fairly obvious how to negotiate this.

« Reply #10 on: 18 December, 2016, 07:09:49 pm »
A good day.  Flat, dry and a horse box.

« Reply #11 on: 18 December, 2016, 08:08:34 pm »
 :thumbsup: Thanks Mike & Happy Helpers. Great day on yet another well organised Audax.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #12 on: 19 December, 2016, 05:00:41 am »
Yes it was superb, and fast..  new friends !! Same old perfect organisation !!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #13 on: 19 December, 2016, 10:28:35 am »
A superb ride - as you'd expect from Peak Audax - the return leg home was topped off nicely with a stunning sunset, ablaze with deep reds & oranges  8) set nicely behind pitch-dark silhouette of welsh hills & trees - only managed to look back & see this whilst watering a farmers gate  :demon: shame i didn't have camera for the sunset - I'd guess one of you did though, any photo's of this ???   The real winter solstice is almost upon us so summer's coming & lighter morning's approaching  :thumbsup:

Many thanks to all PEAK AUDAX Team.
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !