Author Topic: Thanet Platinum Audax, Saturday 1st September 2018  (Read 8758 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Thanet Platinum Audax, Saturday 1st September 2018
« Reply #50 on: 02 September, 2018, 02:01:14 pm »
There was a big old group that sailed right past the first control while I was getting a stamp.

Assuming that was the DNV group, the funniest thing about that is they finished 40 minutes after you.

Thanks to Citoyen and all the helpers.

Thanks for coming along - it's the riders that make the event. I went back over to the brewery to tidy up this morning and Karen commented on what a lovely friendly bunch you all were, even the ones who swear at motorists.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Phil W

« Reply #51 on: 02 September, 2018, 03:04:58 pm »
Yes, I put infos and controls as waypoints in the GPX. I add 100m alerts to those waypoints as well so a nice beep and notification come up.

rob

« Reply #52 on: 02 September, 2018, 03:23:25 pm »
There was a big old group that sailed right past the first control while I was getting a stamp.

Assuming that was the DNV group, the funniest thing about that is they finished 40 minutes after you.

They were all in the bakery in Robertsbridge when I rode through.

This confused the 2 sporty types I mentioned as they then thought it was a control.

You did send out a very comprehensive set of notes and it’s a pity that a lot of people can’t be arsed to read them.

« Reply #53 on: 02 September, 2018, 05:07:49 pm »
Well I had a great time. Good company and a splendid location for an Audax arrivee. I did make one major error though; arriving planning to camp and leaving your tent at home is a definite no-no. However our revered organiser rode to the rescue and I was able to use the tent he had supplied for left luggage!. I left before he arrived this morning so once again "Thank you Dave".
Reine de la Fauche

whosatthewheel

« Reply #54 on: 02 September, 2018, 05:48:04 pm »
By the way the two lads on stripped down bikes were on their first Audax (If it's the same two, that is) They were navigating with route sheet only. I played leapfrog with them for quite a way,  helping them out with navigation and local knowledge as far as I could, and had a chat about audaxing in the bar afterwards.

Did you tell them about the Super Randonneur award?  ;D

« Reply #55 on: 03 September, 2018, 10:06:29 am »
Did you tell them about the Super Randonneur award?  ;D

Someone told me about the SR after I did the Copdock 100 on a complete whim last year. Now trying to work out logistics for PBP...
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #56 on: 03 September, 2018, 03:17:44 pm »
Well, that was a grand day out. Company in parts (and always good), pleasant lanes, pretty much perfect weather ... and of course a brewery finish.

*Much* harder than I was expecting from the climbing figures on the website, though the difficulty is partly down to inadequate legs, and to having decided it was a good idea to ECE from SE London - I certainly found the road home a bit of a strain, and that wasn't even lumpy ...

« Reply #57 on: 30 August, 2019, 09:23:24 am »
LOOKing forward to this - particularly enjoy the section from Boughton Lees to Canterbury.

citoyen

Re: Thanet Platinum Audax, Saturday 7th September 2019
« Reply #58 on: 30 August, 2019, 09:40:25 am »
 :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed the weather is as good as it was last year.

Still open for entries if anyone else is interested...
200 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-304/
166 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-335/
110 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-305/

rob

« Reply #59 on: 30 August, 2019, 10:49:36 am »
Can't make it this year.   I have the Kent 12hr on Sunday.   I know which one I would prefer to do.

citoyen

« Reply #60 on: 30 August, 2019, 11:00:59 am »
Can't make it this year.   I have the Kent 12hr on Sunday.   I know which one I would prefer to do.

Shame. I moved the date because quite a few of the club said they couldn't do it as it clashes with the club open 10, which is an annual fixture on the first Sunday of the month. Have any of them signed up this year? Of course not.  ::-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #61 on: 30 August, 2019, 11:02:35 am »
When are you planning on closing entries?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rob

« Reply #62 on: 30 August, 2019, 11:09:45 am »

Shame. I moved the date because quite a few of the club said they couldn't do it as it clashes with the club open 10, which is an annual fixture on the first Sunday of the month. Have any of them signed up this year? Of course not.  ::-)

I was entered for the ECCA 12hr which is this Sunday, but they cancelled it due to lack of entries.   The KCA 12hr is the last one on the calendar so I'm a bit stuck - I know the roads but it's not a course where you can get a good distance.   I do get an extra weeks recovery from PBP, though.

Hope the event goes well.

citoyen

« Reply #63 on: 30 August, 2019, 11:12:58 am »
When are you planning on closing entries?

Officially Wednesday but let me know if you need to make a decision after then.

« Reply #64 on: 30 August, 2019, 09:24:36 pm »
Can't make it this year but it's a great ride and I would thoroughly recommend it!
Reine de la Fauche

dogtrousers

• Pantaloon
« Reply #65 on: 02 September, 2019, 02:22:56 pm »
Having done the last 2 I would love to have made it 3, but alas, not this year.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #66 on: 02 September, 2019, 03:08:32 pm »
Controlled last year but seeing all the smiling faces coming in to get their cards stamped made me realise that I must be missing something good, so I'll be riding the 200 this time.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

citoyen

« Reply #67 on: 08 September, 2019, 04:13:36 pm »
72 finishers yesterday, over the three distances, and only 7 DNFs. One technically OTL but not by much so I applied organiser's discretion. Some got rained on briefly (mainly the faster riders), some got blown about a bit, some weren't so keen on the lumpy bits, and a few had reason to be disgruntled with local motoring standards, but other than that everyone seemed to have a jolly good time. And remarkably, everyone was finished before 8.30pm, which was very considerate - I was back home and in bed before 10pm (last year I was still at the finish until nearly 11pm).

For those of you who didn't make it, sorry we missed you - maybe next time...

I've been debating whether or not to run it again after this year, but after much deliberation, there is going to be a next time, but with a few changes, including a new name (for one thing, the club's 70th anniversary is now a receding memory, and for another thing, the club aren't really that interested in audax).

A few details TBC before I can add it to the calendar but hope to have that sorted soon.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #68 on: 09 September, 2019, 02:30:38 pm »
Well, the 200 certainly was a lovely ride and I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite bonking badly as I slogging my way across the marshes from Rye with the wind ever-increasing (I suspect the early finishers may have missed that pleasure) and not recovering properly until about 25km from the finish.  Yes, it would be possible to grouch a little about the little stretch along the seafront, with its dodgy drivers and dozy pedestrians, but that's still much more enjoyable than the main road inland alternative. So much of the route was on lovely single track lanes and, speaking as a poor climber, I would venture that the only serious climb was the one out of Hastings, and even that was perfectly manageable (and rewarded with a wonderful stretch of downhill).

Nice to meet several forumites, both posters and lurkers, too.

All in all, a cracking ride and one I think I'll be back to try again, no matter what it gets re-named.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?