Author Topic: Busted bar end shifter.  (Read 928 times)

Busted bar end shifter.
« on: 21 November, 2020, 06:27:06 pm »

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/duraace-r9150-di2/SW-R9160.html

Plastic button has sheared off and been lost in a fall.
Do I have to buy the whole unit to replace the button?
Alternatively is there a hack that could seal the end? The inner workings of the button still respond if you poke your finger in far enough.
often lost.

Re: Busted bar end shifter.
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2020, 08:39:36 pm »
parts document

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/ev/SW-R9160/EV-SW-R9160-4060A.pdf

shows fitting parts but not parts for the unit with the switch in it itself, so if it isn't actually completely broken it

sounds like a 'yes' to both questions...?

I've not repaired one of these but I  repaired switches in similar gizmos (eg car key remotes) and making them both functional and waterproof etc is usually fiddly and tedious work.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2020, 09:02:04 pm »
ahhh thanks a lot Brucey.

Looking at the diagram I appear to have snapped the plastic button off the section thats not numbered between #1 and #4.
 I thought that the button was part of the bracket cover with my aged eyes, but I see here its not. Damn I bet thats the $$$ part.
often lost.

« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2020, 10:17:33 pm »
when there is a part without a number on such diagrams, it means that is not offered as a spare part, often on the basis that this bit is where the bulk of the cost of the unit resides, and once this part is damaged, you may as well buy a complete new unit. So for example IIRC shimano don't usually offer a parallelogram assy as a spare part for RDs. 

cheers

« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2020, 10:44:27 pm »
Thanks once again to the oracle. Much appreciated.
I'll dick around with the shifter in the shed tomorrow, waste a couple of hours in a futile attempt to jerry rig a free fix. Then a couple of hours later I'll throw my hands up in the air, bite the bullet and order a new one.
It will possibly arrive on the Island 2 weeks or more later (if not lost in transit) and after customs duty and shipping has been added, the price will double.
Ah well, that will teach me to lean the bike against a wall in a blow with an overstuffed rando bag.
often lost.