Author Topic: No Sycamore Gap anymore  (Read 5465 times)

Re: No Sycamore Gap anymore
« Reply #75 on: 30 September, 2023, 05:22:25 pm »

Having studied Arboriculture, one possibility is that the tree will sprout new shoots, just as if it had been coppiced.

The main risk however is that the top is horizontal, meaning that rain will pool on it causing rot. Someone is going to have to put a slope on the top to allow rain to run off. Then there is just the hope the tree has enough energy stored in it's root system to be able to put up new shoots in the spring, and that any animals are kept away so that the sprouts can do something useful.

With some management, this tree can regrow. It may never be the perfect "tree shape" we once had. But it may not be totally dead.

J

It's just a tree. It was oft (far too oft) photographed and made a pretty picture. Anything to replace it would be even more artificial than that iconic image. There's no need for it to be managed to regrow.
I haven't seen it in the flesh leaf for probably 40 years. Part of its enigmatic appeal was how out of place it was, a suburban sycamore in the middle of wild moors. The other trees in the area are mostly struggling exposed hawthorn bushes at crazy angles, which say Whin Sill, Hadrian's Wall and Northumberland Moor, much more than a sycamore does.
If it really was, as claimed, 300 years old, it was a relatively early sycamore in England.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #76 on: 30 September, 2023, 06:03:55 pm »
Well, now we have the opportunity to count the rings and find out just how old it actually was.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #77 on: 30 September, 2023, 06:38:47 pm »
By a strange coincidence I took this picture the day before the incident.

It is a view of a tree at sunset, taken from my hotel window near the City of Bath.  I am pleased to say the tree was still there in the morning.
Are you trying to establish an alias?

Oh no, I am nowhere near good enough.
Move Faster and Bake Things

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #78 on: 30 September, 2023, 06:42:21 pm »

At felling trees, or establishing an alibi?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #79 on: 30 September, 2023, 07:24:31 pm »
Sycamore Gap: man, 60, arrested in connection with felled tree.  The plot thickens (and the Reëducation Camps beckon).

2 arrested now, 1 more and they'll have the tree fellers they're looking for. 

IGMC ::-)
That goes against the grain.

All leave's been cancelled in Special Branch while they get to the root of who did this.

The problem is they're stumped
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #80 on: 30 September, 2023, 08:00:34 pm »
Well, now we have the opportunity to count the rings and find out just how old it actually was.

Good reply ;D ;D ;D  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #81 on: 01 October, 2023, 06:52:59 pm »

At felling trees, or establishing an alibi?

J

Alibi?

« Reply #82 on: 01 October, 2023, 09:17:16 pm »
God, there's some thickos about:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66977582

Nothing to do with self-publicising, sticking a spade in a World Heritage Site.  Presumably done at night, because he was so public-spirited?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #83 on: 01 October, 2023, 09:30:49 pm »
Earlier, actor and former president of the Council for National Parks Brian Blessed urged park bosses to plant another tree near the fallen landmark.

He said it would improve chances of the stump growing into a new tree, adding it would "talk to it, it will help it."

OR SHOUT AT IT UNTIL IT GROWS
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #84 on: 01 October, 2023, 09:33:03 pm »
Sycamores don't need any help - every year I have a gutter full.

« Reply #85 on: 02 October, 2023, 08:20:50 am »
God, there's some thickos about:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66977582

Nothing to do with self-publicising, sticking a spade in a World Heritage Site.  Presumably done at night, because he was so public-spirited?

It's a load of politics and legal jargon"

'Thicko seems generous.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #86 on: 02 October, 2023, 10:20:49 am »
Speed of tree growth (in France)

2005, the small tree visible in the foreground is a peach tree I moved before our fosse septique was installed.  The oak tree is scarcely visible behind and to the left of the peach tree. It is about 2.5 metres tall and very spindly.

This is the same oak in September 2018 with our cat descending.  The peach tree had to be removed as it was overshadowed by the oak by then.

Pretty quick, no?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #87 on: 02 October, 2023, 01:13:42 pm »
Yes. There's an ash growing up beside the back wall of our barn. I'm going to have to murder it before it starts to dislodge roof tiles. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #88 on: 02 October, 2023, 07:06:11 pm »
The lower branches of the oak had to be trimmed. Some quite large ones. I didn’t like performing surgery but it left a lovely high canopy and didn’t spoil the shape at all. In fact the lower branches have to compete for light. Successful branches grow very large and strong, less successful die back.

At the top of the garden were three enormous chestnuts which when we moved in had ‘stag-horned’ - the top and inner branches had died. We got a British tree-surgeon in to fix them and he removed tons of dead wood. Amazingly, trees that had appeared to be dying came back to life. We were told they were very ancient and with care could live a lot longer.

« Reply #89 on: 21 October, 2023, 05:27:45 pm »
Zwifting through the jungle this afternoon, I noticed that two large trees were just hanging in the air their trunks cut through just above the ground.

« Reply #90 on: 01 November, 2023, 05:36:58 pm »