Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 940246 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8800 on: 06 March, 2020, 09:02:02 pm »
Greed.  Quite amusing satire on the filthy, self-made, rich.  Not especially hard-hitting and perhaps really we are all guilty?  Except the lion, of course.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8801 on: 12 March, 2020, 03:15:09 pm »
Started watching the second season of Altered Cabrón.  Baled out after the first (presumably) five minutes of eejits turning cartwheels and going oough!  As it says in 1st Corinthians ch13v7, jeez, what a crock.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8802 on: 12 March, 2020, 05:12:04 pm »
Started watching the second season of Altered Cabrón.  Baled out after the first (presumably) five minutes of eejits turning cartwheels and going oough!  As it says in 1st Corinthians ch13v7, jeez, what a crock.
I've read all the books. I barely made it through the first season. Some bits good. Most, particularly the chocky-socky complete with swords, were absolutely dire. Coupled with utterly stupid major plot rewrites.

Resolutely refusing to watch any of it.

If you like Stranger Things (first, second season maybe ) at all, try "I am not ok with this".
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #8803 on: 12 March, 2020, 07:45:16 pm »
I'm sort of not minding Altered Carbon. Truth was that I didn't really enjoy the books, I struggled with the plots tbh, it just seemed over-contrived and under-clear. That seems mostly replicated on screen. I may just be a simpleton. The concept is good, the execution a bit meh. The books always seemed to be want to be a futuristic Chandler, but lacked the sophisticated noir of a Marlowe, so just settled for hitting some stuff.

I'm a bit fed up of the cyberpunk futures too, all neon and rain, where the men wear raincoats indoors and all the women are too busy showing their tits in holograms or working as prostitutes.

« Reply #8804 on: 12 March, 2020, 11:33:07 pm »
I enjoyed the Kovacs books,  but wasn't too impressed with the TV version of the first one.  Good effects, but some pointless plot changes.    Mr Morgan has recently taken a side in the TERF wars, and has subsequently been banned from both Twitter & Mastodon.   Disappointing. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8805 on: 13 March, 2020, 09:52:12 pm »
V for Vendetta again.  Horribly topical.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #8806 on: 19 March, 2020, 12:53:18 pm »
Mostly enjoyed the first season of Altered Carbon in the end. I'd forgotten the mostly contrived plot had a scoobie wrap-up. I've no idea how closely it followed that book, but I'm not a purist on such matters. Boy, was there some amusingly clunky dialogue though. I'll watch the second season, trying out American Gods now.

There sure are a lot of cocks on TV these days.

« Reply #8807 on: 20 March, 2020, 07:35:55 am »
Love the books, especially the first one. Really did not like the first season...I had high hopes and they got shattered. Second one is better, but I still wished they'd stayed closer to the source material. Poe/Ms Dig are a good addition, though.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8808 on: 20 March, 2020, 07:59:09 am »
I saw the first season before knowing about the books and quite liked it, other than the tired USMC meme and the acrobatics. Then I read all three books and quite liked them.  I couldn't stick more than half an episode of the second series.  Poe was great, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #8809 on: 22 March, 2020, 02:54:18 pm »
Family were watching Mission Impossible - Fallout last night.  Which was interminable, particularly the extended helicopter sequence at the end.  In an effort to retain sanity, went on a website to check the filming locations as they clearly weren't Pakistan as per the plot.  Then I discovered just why that last sequence took so long - half of it was filmed in New Zealand and the other half in Norway.   :facepalm: some 60+ helicopter flying hours away.  ;D ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #8810 on: 22 March, 2020, 03:43:16 pm »
Book of Eli.  Entertaining bollocks

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #8811 on: 23 March, 2020, 10:49:32 am »
Red Joan (on Netflix). A little over-dramatised ("based-on" true events but only loosely) but worth a watch. Judi Dench is superb as usual.
Pen Pusher

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8812 on: 26 March, 2020, 12:25:51 pm »
I'm following ian's sterling example by watching all 23 MCU films in order (chronological by release date, not the supposed canonical order). I figure that I might enjoy them more if I fill in the gaps with the ones I haven't seen before, which might make me care a bit more about the characters (or at least have a fucking clue who they are). Also seems like a sensible way to use my lockdown time - and I need something mindless to distract me from the news.

So far:

Iron Man (2008) - Superb. I remember loving this when it first came out, and it has aged well. Good fast pace, but not too manic. A full two hours long but doesn't feel like it outstays its welcome. I vaguely recall when it came out there was some controversy over the choice of Robert Downey Jr in the lead, but I really can't imagine anyone better for the role. He's fantastic. Also nice to be reminded how good an actor Gwyneth was before she went mad.

The Incredible Hulk (2008) - This is one I missed first time round. Probably gave it the swerve after seeing the earlier Ang Lee take, which was just weird. It's a considerable improvement on that. Some great fight scenes, though the final showdown is a bit meh. Edward Norton is OK as Banner but I can see that replacing him with Ruffalo was probably a good move. Tim Roth makes an excellent Bond-style villainous super-henchman. Tim Blake Nelson steals the show for me.

Iron Man 2 lined up for tonight. Can't remember whether or not I've seen it before. Thor, Captain America and Avengers after that - definitely haven't seen any of those.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #8813 on: 27 March, 2020, 08:35:16 am »
Iron Man 2 lined up for tonight...

Didn't seem very familiar, so I must have missed it first time round, though I vaguely recall the scene with Mickey Rourke on the Monaco racetrack.

Another solid effort all round, despite the slight feeling that just three films in, they're already retreading plots (deranged power-mad authority figure/rampant super-rich capitalist, evil super-powered henchman who goes out of control...).

Also a shame they replaced Terrence Howard with the always-wooden Don Cheadle as Rhodey.

Sam Rockwell and Mickey Rourke are great though. And the final battle is SUPERFUN!

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #8814 on: 27 March, 2020, 09:20:54 am »
Elizabeth is Missing (via the iPlayer). A really intersting mystery set in the life of a woman with worsening dementia.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

citoyen

« Reply #8815 on: 28 March, 2020, 11:08:37 am »
Thor (2010)
Excellent. I saw Ragnarok last year, and enjoyed that too, so it’s good to have a bit of the backstory. Hemsworth is great, surprisingly convincing character development. Hiddlestone perfect as Loki, gets the ambiguity spot on. Good fighting. Funny with it. Second favourite so far after Iron Man 1.

« Reply #8816 on: 28 March, 2020, 08:11:25 pm »
The Handmaiden. Hmmm.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #8817 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:20:27 pm »
Elizabeth is Missing (via the iPlayer). A really intersting mystery set in the life of a woman with worsening dementia.
I really really enjoyed the book. Is it worth trying the filmic version?

rob

« Reply #8818 on: 29 March, 2020, 09:28:49 am »
Thor (2010)
Excellent. I saw Ragnarok last year, and enjoyed that too, so it’s good to have a bit of the backstory. Hemsworth is great, surprisingly convincing character development. Hiddlestone perfect as Loki, gets the ambiguity spot on. Good fighting. Funny with it. Second favourite so far after Iron Man 1.

I’m enjoying seeing you work your way through these.  We have all of them from the start and have enjoyed them all. 

We’ve started on Star Wars again and are now through 1, 2 & 3.  Should we do Solo and Rogue One before moving onto A New Hope ?

citoyen

« Reply #8819 on: 29 March, 2020, 02:24:39 pm »
I’m enjoying seeing you work your way through these.  We have all of them from the start and have enjoyed them all. 

Took the night off last night to watch a bit of Tiger King, which makes costumed crimefighters look a lot less outlandish.

If you can be bothered to trawl back through the thread, ian did the same a while ago. I scoffed at the time. But they do seem to make more sense when watched close together and in sequence. I’m in danger of starting to care about the characters.

A New Hope

No film of that name exists. I refuse to acknowledge it.

rob

« Reply #8820 on: 29 March, 2020, 03:18:30 pm »
Bet you cry during Endgame.....

Mark Kermode’s Secrets of Cinema did Superheroes last week.  Worth an hour on iPlayer.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8821 on: 29 March, 2020, 03:43:42 pm »
Bet you cry during Endgame.....

Mark Kermode’s Secrets of Cinema did Superheroes last week.  Worth an hour on iPlayer.
Yeah it was one of his better ones :thumbsup:

But it gave me no new enthusiasm to watch the recent Marvel films! (Enjoyed Ironman. Failed to finish Thor, despite a perfect cast.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8822 on: 29 March, 2020, 11:20:16 pm »
I got PTSD from working on (some of) them.  Marvel is a terrible company.

ian

« Reply #8823 on: 30 March, 2020, 10:27:44 am »

Took the night off last night to watch a bit of Tiger King, which makes costumed crimefighters look a lot less outlandish.

If you can be bothered to trawl back through the thread, ian did the same a while ago. I scoffed at the time. But they do seem to make more sense when watched close together and in sequence. I’m in danger of starting to care about the characters.

A New Hope

No film of that name exists. I refuse to acknowledge it.

We did watch them all in release sequence before the final half of Infinity War came out. Loved it, tbh. They're mostly good, a couple of lulls, but consistent character development, scripting, and things that go bang. Compared to the plodding DC and the does-anything-know-wtf-is-what X-Men, they're a universe better. And I don't even like comics (well, I might, I did use to read 2000AD and piles of second-hand Commando).

Star Wars, sadly high on my meh-dar. I couldn't do the middle three again if you paid me.

citoyen

« Reply #8824 on: 31 March, 2020, 07:08:33 am »
Captain America (2012) Riper than a 10 year old Stilton. Lots of fun. Hugo Weaving and Toby Jones as the baddies was always going to be a winner.