Author Topic: Drive to Work Day (London)  (Read 1979 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Drive to Work Day (London)
« on: 14 December, 2012, 09:58:51 pm »
http://drivetoworkday.org/
This Tuesday was Drive to Work Day in London. I'm having a massive sense of irony failure. Is is just a stunt aimed at amusing those who don't, or was it actually publicised to those who do? And if it was, did they notice any extra congestion? If you're a Londonite, did you?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: Drive to Work Day (London)
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2012, 10:32:29 pm »
What was the point? If you drove in to work you'd have to pay the Congestion charge and pay loads to park. My son (who lives in East london and works in the City) cycled in as normal.
Sherwood CC - Squadra Giallo Verde

« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2012, 10:32:56 pm »
It's a pisstake Cudz.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 14 December, 2012, 10:43:03 pm »
It's a pisstake Cudz.
Yeah - but I want to know who it's taking the piss out of? I read of it in the CTC's email newsletter - had it been in our local one it would have fitted (we have tips like "to keep your feet warm and dry, wrap them up in a plastic carrier bag. Any bag will do but the orange ones from Sainsbury's are hi-viz, so you don't need pedal reflectors") but the national one is usually all serious. And what's the point in taking the piss out of drivers (assuming that's who it is) if they don't know?!

« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2012, 09:56:23 am »
Drivers are an easy target to take the piss out of.
They sit in tin boxes in orderly queues many going distances they could walk never mind cycle.
They squeeze past cyclists scowling and roaring to queue at the next red light
idiots!

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2012, 01:13:22 pm »
It's a pisstake Cudz.
Yeah - but I want to know who it's taking the piss out of? I read of it in the CTC's email newsletter - had it been in our local one it would have fitted (we have tips like "to keep your feet warm and dry, wrap them up in a plastic carrier bag. Any bag will do but the orange ones from Sainsbury's are hi-viz, so you don't need pedal reflectors") but the national one is usually all serious. And what's the point in taking the piss out of drivers (assuming that's who it is) if they don't know?!

That's a piss take? Sounds eminently sensible to me! Why spend hard won wonga on sealskinz etc when carrier bags are going free? I've resorted to this tactic myself in the past.

« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2012, 04:31:42 pm »

Seems that Drive to Work Day is recommending driving on Christmas day
Sound like a good idea
 http://drivetoworkday.org/2012/12/19/christmas-driving/

John Henry

« Reply #7 on: 22 December, 2012, 05:08:19 pm »
Seriously, it's not a bad idea. All those people moaning about bloody cyclists might change their tune if they found out how hellish the roads would be if we all drove instead.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 23 December, 2012, 07:46:46 pm »
Seriously, it's not a bad idea. All those people moaning about bloody cyclists might change their tune if they found out how hellish the roads would be if we all drove instead.
That's what I was wondering - if someone had actually organised a "driving day" for London cyclists, bus commuters, tube users and walkers, in order to demonstrate how useful these non-car modes are for drivers. It would be both a practical demonstration and a piss take in one.

« Reply #9 on: 24 December, 2012, 06:45:53 am »
The original idea was to put more vehicles on the road, and show what traffic would be like if all those "bloody cyclists" weren't on their bikes