Author Topic: PBP hi viz vest  (Read 31842 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: PBP hi viz vest
« Reply #25 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:20:44 pm »
Anyway there will once again be a compliant hiviz provided as part of entry to PBP

The registration fee includes:
• participation in Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur 2019
• official water bottle
• official reflective vest
• hot meal at the finish
• official document pouch
• PBP 2019 frame number
• PBP 2019 brevet card
• PBP 2019 rider follow-up
• engraved souvenir medal (if you are homologated)
• medical evacuation insurance according to the insurance contract
• arrow signs on the course
• supervision by official cars and motorcyclists
• access to the various checkpoints and food stops
• emergency support at the checkpoints
• results brochure and 19th Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur® DVD sent to your address in early 2020

The problem only comes if you're riding in France before you collect it...
Which seems to be a fair few!

I need to check the label on the one I've got lying around... somewhere...

SPB

« Reply #26 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:21:08 pm »

Every EN1150 hivi design sucks, big time. It's like they haven't been designed by someone who actually cycles. In countries other than France Hivi's for cycling are seen as a winter item, so it doesn't matter that it boils you. It's even worse finding one that fits over breasts.

J

Check out my post reply #6

« Reply #27 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:21:15 pm »
Lets be sensible, if your wearing a fluro gillet what are the chances that someone is not going to let you ride? All sounds daft to me, what are these standards do they define the Pantone reference of the colour! All sounds very pedantic.
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

SPB

« Reply #28 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:21:57 pm »
Lets be sensible, if your wearing a fluro gillet what are the chances that someone is not going to let you ride? All sounds daft to me, what are these standards do they define the Pantone reference of the colour! All sounds very pedantic.

I'm given to understand the label is checked at the bike check

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #29 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:28:04 pm »

Actually they define the surface area of the fluorescent part, and the reflective part (see my post above).

I don't believe they define the actual Pantone or RAL colour. Just Yellow, Orange, Pink, Green, etc...

Oh, and when I say the designs available suck, here's a google search:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22en1150%22+cycling+vest&source=lnms&tbm=shop

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:28:34 pm »

Lucky Trans continental does not come through France this year or you would need a compliant hi viz...

Yeah, I haven't worked out what I'm gonna do about that one...

Every EN1150 hivi design sucks, big time. It's like they haven't been designed by someone who actually cycles. In countries other than France Hivi's for cycling are seen as a winter item, so it doesn't matter that it boils you. It's even worse finding one that fits over breasts.

J

Take a look at running vests complying with ISO 20471.  Mine is actually a running vest and seals via velco at the waist.

« Reply #31 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:32:30 pm »

I'm given to understand the label is checked at the bike check

When they included them in the entry fee they stopped checking them at the bike check. (In 2011 they were still optional to buy and you had to either show yours at the bike check or show the entry receipt which said you had bought one.)

Enforcement is separate, on PBP itself there's a good chance you'll get pulled over by a motorbike or by a marshall near a control if you're not wearing something suitable at night.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #32 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:33:40 pm »
attach a en1150 label to the vest of your choice? :demon:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #33 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:34:29 pm »
Take a look at running vests complying with ISO 20471.  Mine is actually a running vest and seals via velco at the waist.

Oooh, 54 quid on amazon uk, but $18 on amazon us. Looks like I'll get one from the US...

Thanks for the heads up!

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #34 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:37:28 pm »
Decathlon have just introduced em to the concept of Hi-Vis Camo

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/revers-padded-jacket-camo-bl-id_8494232.html

« Reply #35 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:45:01 pm »

It makes sense for hunting.

Other hunters know that hi vis orange is a person and not to be shot at, but the camouflage helps you hide from the animals.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

SPB

« Reply #36 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:45:50 pm »

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/revers-padded-jacket-camo-bl-id_8494232.html

Hi-viz camouflage.  If that isn't an oxymoron then...   ;D

Phil W

« Reply #37 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:46:46 pm »

Actually they define the surface area of the fluorescent part, and the reflective part (see my post above).

I don't believe they define the actual Pantone or RAL colour. Just Yellow, Orange, Pink, Green, etc...

Oh, and when I say the designs available suck, here's a google search:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22en1150%22+cycling+vest&source=lnms&tbm=shop

J

They do define colours and I think it only allows yellow, orange, red within the standard.  I did have a read of it couple of years back.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #38 on: 06 February, 2019, 02:17:24 pm »
Yes, but as mentioned by a number of people, it sucks as an item to wear, esp if it's warm.

J

Sure, if you had to wear it during the day but you only need at night when it's a lot cooler (very cool the first couple of nights in 2015) and I really don't remember it being a problem.  The point about being pulled over by the motorbikes if you don't have the vest or an appropriate vest is correct ... I saw this on a number of occasions.

Phil W

« Reply #39 on: 06 February, 2019, 02:33:09 pm »
Yes, but as mentioned by a number of people, it sucks as an item to wear, esp if it's warm.

J

Sure, if you had to wear it during the day but you only need at night when it's a lot cooler (very cool the first couple of nights in 2015) and I really don't remember it being a problem.  The point about being pulled over by the motorbikes if you don't have the vest or an appropriate vest is correct ... I saw this on a number of occasions.

I got pointed at and told hiviz at dusk on the first night by a motorbike marshall. The problem on the first night was you don't want to stop to put on the hiviz and lose the peloton you are riding in. The first night was hot and I found the official one sweaty, the second night it was a bit cooler.  Perhaps I will take my mesh one to wear.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #40 on: 06 February, 2019, 02:42:28 pm »

Can be cool, can be warm. Can be warm and humid. Perhaps I'm looking at it with slightly different eyes, wanting something for more than just PBP. I've done rides in .NL, .BE, & .FR in August and July where night temperatures were >20°.

It may be cool enough not to boil in the vest, but it may not be, and you have no choice not to wear it.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #41 on: 06 February, 2019, 05:24:01 pm »

It makes sense for hunting.

Other hunters know that hi vis orange is a person and not to be shot at, but the camouflage helps you hide from the animals.
And the French do hunting properly, shooting at things to eat them, not an excuse for a horse race.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #42 on: 06 February, 2019, 05:25:41 pm »

Just dug it out of my bag. Here's the label:

So it is EN (albeit apparently not the right EN for PBP). But it is the EN label that says that, not the CE, which can be attached to all sorts of things.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #43 on: 06 February, 2019, 05:28:30 pm »
So it is EN (albeit apparently not the right EN for PBP). But it is the EN label that says that, not the CE, which can be attached to all sorts of things.

Yeah, it's my bad for getting EN and CE the wrong way round.

As established, it has the wrong EN label for PBP. Will be getting the freemove version. That is EN20471 approved, tho it has less reflective stuff on it on the back...

J
--

« Reply #44 on: 06 February, 2019, 08:17:16 pm »
Last time I used the 2011 version plus a very light running vest from Decathlon. Both having the correct labels.
After the Bunnik 200 I checked the Wowow Flanders vest of one of the other riders. Quite thin material + EN 1150.
Alternatively I could buy a roadworkes T-shirt with the appropriate labels.

« Reply #45 on: 06 February, 2019, 11:02:24 pm »
I know from experience how keen they are on making you wear the reflective on a night. Three times me and another rider got told to put our reflective jackets on. It was not the fact that I did not want to wear it, but there was more than an hour at least till sunset, no where near dark and it was roasting in the heat. Just to keep the motorcycle rider happy, as he was shouting at us and waving his arm wildly on the last occasion and told us he would not tell us again we stopped and put them on. To try and keep cool, I just removed my jersey and stuck it in my saddlebag and wore the reflective jacket till it cooled down a bit. But, I did hear afterwards that there was an over ambitious motorcycle rider who had a go at a few riders in similiar circumstances and we must have come across him.

Plus, not wearing one could incur a time penalty, think its a couple of hours, plus they might have added another hour or two for ignoring a marshall as well.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #46 on: 07 February, 2019, 01:05:45 am »
Some of the Proviz kit claims to meet EN ISO 20417 but I note that they say "Material conforms to" not "garment conforms to"
That suggests "does not conform to" !!!

If it doesn't have stripes - and the Proviz I've seen does not - then it ain't compliant.

And I think Proviz is known to be a tad more B-I-T-B than regular cycling stuff ...

I spoke with Proviz about this in 2015 and no, they don't comply for that specific reason — it's all reflective and no fluorescent.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #47 on: 07 February, 2019, 01:08:45 am »
attach a en1150 label to the vest of your choice? :demon:

I believe that's a criminal offence.  And removing a label makes the garment non-compliant, too.  It's all rather predictably dull.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #48 on: 07 February, 2019, 01:10:12 am »
They do define colours and I think it only allows yellow, orange, red within the standard.  I did have a read of it couple of years back.

I recall the spec being fairly relaxed about colour, as corporate colours can also be used, so long as they fluoresce.  I recall pink being allowed.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #49 on: 07 February, 2019, 01:13:10 am »
If you do think the official vest looks a little flappy and unbreathable, Wowow make vests which are CE EN1150 approved.  I got the "Maverick" and think the cut is really good.

Can be hard to source in the UK but Hollandbikeshop* carries them. 

*Buy before 29th March if we leave with no deal though, to save import fees.

I think we looked at Wowow vests on a FB thread last year — I checked the registration of the EN certificate (with TÜV) and it all looked rather fishy, like they'd "borrowed" the certification from a different company for a similar product.  The label is apparently no longer any guarantee of compliance.