Author Topic: What angle grinder?  (Read 1436 times)

What angle grinder?
« on: 09 September, 2009, 08:33:55 pm »
I have had two cheap ones fail because the switch stopped working and now the newish Black & Decker replacement has shed the grease from its gearbox whilst I cut an oil drum in two.

What make is likely to be reasonably reliable for a small sized, mains electric one?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What angle grinder?
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2009, 08:35:13 pm »
/rae

A very expensive petrol one which would cut down the Eiffel Tower in 15 seconds, but get it half price from eBay.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zoidburg

« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2009, 08:39:49 pm »
By small sized I take it you mean a four and a half inch grinder?

This - Makita 9554NB 4½" 240V Angle Grinder - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

People will wax lyrical and get all orgasmic about Dewalt - this is a mistake as after sales service is completely crap, they also never bother with recall notices, they just dump the problem on the dealer and customer.

I have sold many makes of kit - only Dewalt caused me to wish death by some unspeakable method upon their after sales department.

rae

« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2009, 09:55:31 pm »
Bosch or Dewalt.   I have no idea how bad DeWalt's after sales service is....I've never needed it.    If you regularly doing big things like cutting oil drums in half, I'd get a 230mm one. 

A very expensive petrol one which would cut down the Eiffel Tower in 15 seconds, but get it half price from eBay. 

Stihl TS410 with one of those really cool Marcrist see though disks.  You know it makes sense. 

[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2009, 12:05:26 pm »
I buy cheap high-power ones.

Don't overload them - it's easy to do.

Better quality grinders will vibrate less. Major advantage if you are going to be using them for long periods.
<i>Marmite slave</i>