Author Topic: Great Gable - Napes Needle  (Read 1513 times)

Great Gable - Napes Needle
« on: 14 September, 2009, 03:56:49 pm »

Threading the Needle, going through the gap between the Needle and the buttress.

How tricky is the scramble and how rough is the path. It sound like the scramble, especially the descent is tricky. Is the path a trek across a boulder field? Is it easy to walk around the Needle if don't like the look of  the scramble?

I ain't too confident about this route but would like to do it.

Thanks

Re: Great Gable - Napes Needle
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2009, 04:00:04 pm »
I climbed the needle many years ago.

from memory, getting to and around the needle is easy, just watch out for loose rocks, don't treat them casually as it's a steep rocky slope to fall down.

90% of the climb up the needle is simple, just a hard scramble rather than a proper climb. The last bit is scary but not technically difficult, but you should be roped up in case of a slip.

If you are just bypassing the needle, it's a scramble.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Great Gable - Napes Needle
« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2009, 05:00:20 pm »
Have not done this for a few years, so it is from memory.

The path to the needle itself is pretty straightforward passing below some fantastic slabs. The main problem with threading the needle is the sheer number of people who have done it - which means that the rock is very polished.

The descent of the gap is in a very polished chimney but it can be bridged using feet and back to gently lower oneself. It is at the top of a fairly worn out gully so the exposure could be intimidating but it is not too bad.

If you are then going on to the top of Great Gable there is a Grade 1 ridge scramble past Sphinx Rock and onto the ridge which had good holds and points of escape.