Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 60663 times)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
Re: Heating on?
« Reply #125 on: 11 October, 2019, 08:49:02 pm »
My elderly parents, with whom I live, have had the heating on for a while. It's currently set to a temperature somewhere between Nairobi and the Gates of Hell. Needless to say, I am still walking around the house in shorts and a t-shirt.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #126 on: 11 October, 2019, 09:09:34 pm »
I dont get this when you should turn the heating on thing.

I just have the thermostat set at 18c and if it gets colder it comes on. It never get turned off but there again if its over 18c in the house it doesn't come on.
If we are feeling decadent we turn it up to 19c.

If the log burner is on all bets are off as the house rapidly climbs to the mid 20s.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #127 on: 11 October, 2019, 09:17:20 pm »
My elderly parents, with whom I live, have had the heating on for a while. It's currently set to a temperature somewhere between Nairobi and the Gates of Hell. Needless to say, I am still walking around the house in shorts and a t-shirt.

My elderly parents had a new fangled combi boiler installed last year & can't make it work properly.  I guess I'm going  to have to RTFM. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #128 on: 11 October, 2019, 09:25:08 pm »
My thermostat knows time of day and which day of the week it is.
It does not know, or need to know, the month.
The heating switches on automatically should the temperature drop below limits set for the time.
It switches off once set temperature is reached.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #129 on: 11 October, 2019, 10:14:06 pm »

My elderly parents had a new fangled combi boiler installed last year & can't make it work properly.  I guess I'm going  to have to RTFM.
My parents had a new boiler installed earlier this year, due to the old one failing some sort of check. Broke my father's heart having to pay for a new boiler (well, for the house - if it was his steam roller he'd cough up without question!) even though the boiler was originally installed before we moved in sometime in 1981 and was probably the original from the 1960s!

Thankfully I have yet to be called upon to sort out the heating! I only fix bikes, computers, televisions and other electronic devices around our house (and increasingly for the surrounding neighbours as well!)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #130 on: 12 October, 2019, 06:19:07 am »
Long trousers for the first time this weekend, and long sleeve base layer, but it is grimly windy here.
Still sleeping under a sheet, and heating not yet on
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #131 on: 12 October, 2019, 07:15:46 pm »
Long trousers for the first time this weekend, and long sleeve base layer, but it is grimly windy here.

If your avatar is a picture of you, I can understand

why you're not cold yet.*

*Why the big pause ?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #132 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:01:56 pm »

If your avatar is a picture of you, I can understand

why you're not cold yet.*

*Why the big pause ?

It is my nickname in the house.  Sitting here in a pair of shorts while the other denizens are in dressing gowns under a blanket
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #133 on: 13 October, 2019, 11:45:13 am »
I dont get this when you should turn the heating on thing.

I just have the thermostat set at 18c and if it gets colder it comes on. It never get turned off but there again if its over 18c in the house it doesn't come on.
I'm sure we've done lots of reasons to use and not to use thermostats. Reasons I can think of not to use a thermostat include:
Absence of thermostat
Broken thermostat
Temperature is above your setting but you feel cold.
Temperature is below your setting but you don't feel cold.
Wanting heating for a specific reason, eg drying clothes.
Not wanting heating even though it's cold because eg the house is empty or everyone's fast asleep.
Enjoying variation in temperature.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #134 on: 13 October, 2019, 11:51:54 am »
We use the thermostat controlled approach, coupled with timed on and off periods. But my wife (who is retired and therefore home during the day frequently) can easily turn it on/off/up/down as she sees fit.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #135 on: 13 October, 2019, 03:51:53 pm »
I've actually put some socks on today.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #136 on: 13 October, 2019, 04:03:08 pm »
Our neighbours beneath us have their flat so warm that we have a constant 22° without having to turn our heating on.
Yeah, I used to live above a cannabis farm as well! There was an added element of excitement not knowing when or if the whole place was going to go up in smoke due to the electrics being plumbed into the street light.  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #137 on: 13 October, 2019, 08:31:31 pm »
This post refers:

Ours decided to come on properly a few days ago (red is daily minutes of heating, blue is daily average indoor temperature, green is daily average outdoor temperature):

(Let's disregard that pixel of heating in August.  Stupid BRITISH weather.)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #138 on: 14 October, 2019, 06:47:41 am »
Our neighbours beneath us have their flat so warm that we have a constant 22° without having to turn our heating on.

Similar to my first downstairs neighbours.  Our landlord - originally from Jamaica - often remarked to me that their flat was too warm for him.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #139 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:00:39 pm »
This post refers:

Ours decided to come on properly a few days ago (red is daily minutes of heating, blue is daily average indoor temperature, green is daily average outdoor temperature):

(Let's disregard that pixel of heating in August.  Stupid BRITISH weather.)

What do you use to record whether your heating is on?

I was just going to ziptie a DS18B20 to the inlet pipe of a radiator (or the CH outflow from the boiler) and graph that. (When I eventually get around to doing a 1-wire notwork.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #140 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:06:26 pm »
What do you use to record whether your heating is on?

When the system decides to turn the heating on or off, it makes a note of the times, does a bit of arithmetic and throws the result at RRDtool.  *handwaves*

« Reply #141 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:09:03 pm »
Ah, right, it's because the system decides when to put it on, not a thermostat on the wall or anything else.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #142 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:13:48 pm »
Ah, right, it's because the system decides when to put it on, not a thermostat on the wall or anything else.

Yep.  It's controlling a relay in parallel with the thermostat (set to 5C for frost protection) over 1-wire, so logging the times is trivial.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #143 on: 15 October, 2019, 12:33:33 am »
Can't be that cold yet if there was a wasp in the Estate Office this afternoon!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #144 on: 15 October, 2019, 12:56:06 am »
A wasp headbutted my window repeatedly yesterday afternoon.  Can't say I blame it.

ian

« Reply #145 on: 15 October, 2019, 09:30:48 am »
Our bedroom window has the perfect shape of a large bird with wings outstretched on it, like the most hapless angel. Probably better a wasp.

I missed this one, though the occasional incidental thump seems to be a thing, I presume the angle of light reflecting off the large pane of glass convinces them that they can fly straight on. They can't.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #146 on: 05 November, 2019, 08:52:40 am »
I've succumbed.  All that merrily burning fossil fuel heating up the planet. 
Yet again I realise I haven't sorted out an infrared/thermal camera to identify the spots most in need of tackling - probably the whole house as it's victorian 9" brick etc..  If I knew what I was doing I could probably make one myself.  But I don't.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #147 on: 05 November, 2019, 09:24:58 am »
You could make yourself what: an infrared camera or a Victorian 9" brick? If the former, they might be available to hire with operator attached and interpretation of results, advice, etc. We have cheese locally https://cheeseproject.co.uk might be something near you?

If a brick, then you need to start with clay and cheese will only encourage mice.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #148 on: 05 November, 2019, 04:26:38 pm »
Yes, but it goes off the minute my wife goes out for the weekend/evening playing Bridge.

I only put the shorts away last week for the winter.

« Reply #149 on: 07 November, 2019, 09:05:37 pm »
13C in my flat tonight so I've had the big storage heater on for a couple of hours  & have donned the hairy cardie.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark