Author Topic: Photos of your Significant Cycling Moments  (Read 17839 times)

LEE

Photos of your Significant Cycling Moments
« on: 27 January, 2012, 11:30:17 pm »
Post photos that show your significant cycling moments.

Maybe a photos of you and your first "proper racer", on your first tour,  on your first Audax...whatever you think is significant (not just gratuitous photos of your bike stable).

I'll post mine tomorrow when I'm slightly less pissed.

Re: Photos of your Significant Cycling Moments
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2012, 11:42:50 pm »
Bit of a pastiche, but I'm in the middle about to start a road race!

And my first Elenith in 2005:

And on PBP!

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2012, 11:59:13 pm »

Kidderminster Killer on fixed

First PBP

« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2012, 10:48:28 am »
This is the only photo I have of me on a bike - sorry  :-[

« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2012, 06:38:33 pm »
This is the only photo I have of me on a bike - sorry  :-[

That's probably just as well!  ;D

AndyH

« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2012, 07:57:39 pm »

June 1988, me at the arctic circle monument on the E6 in Norway.

« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2012, 08:33:29 pm »
The Lentil Eating Childhood.

AndyH

« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2012, 08:22:22 am »
I'll post mine tomorrow when I'm slightly less pissed.

It must have been one hell of a night LEE  ;)

Rapples

« Reply #8 on: 30 January, 2012, 08:46:15 am »

Last year shortly after my 50th Birthday

« Reply #9 on: 30 January, 2012, 01:47:19 pm »
^^^
It's usually covered in "tributes".  Did you tidy it up, or just get lucky?

LEE

« Reply #10 on: 30 January, 2012, 01:57:42 pm »
My 9 day solo LEJoG in 2002. I'd done 200 miles in 2 days the previous year, to make sure I could contemplate 900 in 9 days, but LEJoG was a significant moment because it had been nagging at me for many years and I suddenly found myself with 9 spare days of annual vacation.

The Beer (yes, it's a real place) to Portsmouth Camping trip.  Me, Urban_Biker (on left) and Chillmoister spend a long weekend cycle-camping along the Dorset and Hampshire coast.  Just a wonderful way to cycle.  This was my introduction to cycle-camping and I plan to do more of it now PBP is done.

Audax, in particular the Bryan Chapman 600.
Significant because once I'd climbed over Pen-Y-Pass, at night, in sideways sleet, descended to Menai, got back to Dolgellau through the long, boring night, climbed over Cross Foxes and eventually made my way back to Chepstow, I felt I could pretty much do anything after that.  Probably not the hardest Audax but it has a bit of everything and it's still hard enough to give you a sense of achievment.

Here is me, approaching Barmouth , looking towards a big climb and a severe soaking in Snowdonia.

PBP.  What can I say?  It's what it was all leading up to and it didn't disappoint.  Not the most difficult terrain, certainly not the most interesting but I got to ride through 4 days and 4 nights with almost no sleep.  I fought a few personal battles along the way, in order to persuade myself to finish, but the event is just so fantastic, the French public so supportive that I'm already having second thoughts about never doing it again.

Definitely my most significant cycling moment because it had all been leading up to this point, after 89 hours 24 mins.

AndyH

« Reply #11 on: 30 January, 2012, 02:17:57 pm »
The Beer (yes, it's a real place) to Portsmouth Camping trip.  Me, Urban_Biker (on left) and Chillmoister spend a long weekend cycle-camping along the Dorset and Hampshire coast.  Just a wonderful way to cycle.  This was my introduction to cycle-camping and I plan to do more of it now PBP is done.

Is that Poole?

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 30 January, 2012, 02:47:14 pm »
Western end of Bournemouth beach after crossing via Sandbanks Ferry (on our way to Hengistbury Head ferry at the other end of the prom)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 30 January, 2012, 06:42:21 pm »
Baby's First Alpine Pass :thumbsup:

col de l'iseran by andygates, on Flickr
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #14 on: 30 January, 2012, 09:05:40 pm »
This was my first really long cycling event. I'd ridden 100 mile reliability trials before but nothing much above that distance.

I was 18 at the time (back in 1968) and there wasn't such a thing as Audaxes in the U.K. then.

I'm the fifth from the left in the picture, peering over the shoulders of a couple of fellow participants.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #15 on: 30 January, 2012, 09:12:42 pm »
Baby's First Alpine Pass :thumbsup:

col de l'iseran by andygates, on Flickr

That's a route I'd really, really like to do.

I've never been there in summer, only peered down into it when skiing in the Le Fornet valley in Val D'Isere, when it's an Itinary route requiring a mega-hike out up towards Cugnai.   Earning your turns, they call it.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 30 January, 2012, 09:42:46 pm »
2004- My god my arse was in agony at the top....

IMG_1063 by The Pingus, on Flickr

And more recently, Alpe d'Huez 2011. Not fast, but 25% faster than the previous trip.

IMG_4952 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

gordon taylor

« Reply #17 on: 30 January, 2012, 10:21:42 pm »
Emory Pass, 2508m, New Mexico. 2005

Significant because it was the day that I realized that lardy (but stubborn) people could do quite extraordinary journeys on a bicycle

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 31 January, 2012, 01:21:03 am »
Thinking about it (and excluding gore thread entries) most of my significant cycling moments have been unphotographed, and mainly solo, achievements.  In the absence of the 8mm cine film that's lurking in some distant shoebox, this one will have to do:

Many thanks to Charlotte of this parish for helping me make one of the better rash decisions I've ever made.  Since then I've learned a hell of a lot - not just the fragility and cost of bar-end shifters, but that with clever technical solutions and just the right amount of stubbornness, one's limitations can be a lot less limiting than they first appear.  After all isn't that the whole point in cycling?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #19 on: 31 January, 2012, 05:22:42 am »
My most recent significant moment - arriving at the finish of L'Eroica last year.

L'Eroica 2011 by windy_, on Flickr

But the 'my most significant cycling moment' has to be winning the National GHS10 in 1976

GHS 10 1976 (O10/2 ranby nr doncaster) by windy_, on Flickr

GHS10 1976 by windy_, on Flickr

(between 1975 and 1981 I achieved 1 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze, 1 4th place, 2 6th places and 1 9th place in national championships)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #20 on: 31 January, 2012, 08:20:34 am »
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

LEE

« Reply #21 on: 31 January, 2012, 08:42:10 am »
Windy...you may have won the race in 1976 but I'd have disqualified you for cheating.  The rules clearly state "The rider must weigh more then the Bicycle".

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #22 on: 31 January, 2012, 11:08:49 am »
Yeah Riggers photoshop!!!  ;D  :thumbsup:

He came to nick me for speeding  ;)

« Reply #23 on: 31 January, 2012, 11:17:05 am »
Thinking about it (and excluding gore thread entries) most of my significant cycling moments have been unphotographed, and mainly solo, achievements.  In the absence of the 8mm cine film that's lurking in some distant shoebox, this one will have to do:

I took the 8mm film out of the biscuit box a number of years ago. The little girl in the nurse outfit is my sister Rachel, who is 50 on Thursday. I learned to ride on a hand me down bike, that's me as a very large 8 year old, on my first new bike, a Raleigh Elite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVZ-vcSJB8&feature=g-upl&context=G23c8232AUAAAAZAAKAA

« Reply #24 on: 31 January, 2012, 06:00:14 pm »

I took the 8mm film out of the biscuit box a number of years ago. The little girl in the nurse outfit is my sister Rachel, who is 50 on Thursday. I learned to ride on a hand me down bike, that's me as a very large 8 year old, on my first new bike, a Raleigh Elite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVZ-vcSJB8&feature=g-upl&context=G23c8232AUAAAAZAAKAA

Great biscuit box film ESL  :thumbsup: