Author Topic: Cassette cleaning  (Read 9902 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Cassette cleaning
« Reply #25 on: 04 March, 2019, 06:29:18 pm »
Just take it off and put it through the dishwasher when the mrs is at work.

a) I'm single, so no Mrs to worry about

b) I don't have a dishwasher

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #26 on: 04 March, 2019, 08:17:09 pm »
I just spent a good hour or so cleaning a cassette that I’m hoping will work with the new chain ( I do change them well before wear indicator goes anywhere near the 0.75). Dismantled,  degreased, washed and sprayed with water dispersant before being dried. The sprockets are clean, but not totally corrosion free.
If the chain jumps tomorrow I will be cursing the time spent when I could just have stuck a new, shiny cassette on.

« Reply #27 on: 04 March, 2019, 09:15:44 pm »
I use baby wipes to floss between the rings. They're pretty good at degreasing, and they get inbetween the rings pretty well. I also give a good spray of wd-40 first to loosen any hard stuff, then floss with the wipes.

For any really tough stuff, baby wipe wrapped around the end of a screwdriver.

This. Baby wipes for cleaning everything on my bike except the chain. Lidl ones are good. Guess they're just a variation on the multiple 'flossing' techniques mentioned up thread.

« Reply #28 on: 04 March, 2019, 09:44:09 pm »
prevention is the best cure, i don't let the muck to build up by wiping it down after every ride, so the cassette looks new and shiny all the time. it takes 10min to clean the whole drivetrain after a weekend's ride - time well spent. all parts are kept dry (except the inside of the chain rollers) so the dust particles don't stick to them.

I'm riding too much for that, this bike is also my commuter, my training bike, my race bike, my Audax bike, and my shrink...

J

This is where people like Santos bikes (who are dutch I believe) would argue that a belt drive and Rohloff hub is superior to a conventional transmision. You can race in the sand all week-end, hose the bike off and you're good for the ride to work on monday. The theory fails on two counts for me, main one being that I don't have the superior income to go with the superior transmission and second that I have doubts about the value for hard riding weightwise.

« Reply #29 on: 04 March, 2019, 10:01:14 pm »

a) I'm single, so no Mrs to worry about

b) I don't have a dishwasher

J

I also have no dishwasher but am married, so when I need to deep clean chains and cassettes I put them to simmer in a detergent solution using in an old "mess tin" on a camping gas stove.  You could try the same in an old or maybe new saucepan in the kitchen?  ;D
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #31 on: 05 March, 2019, 02:23:52 pm »
as is cycling for pleasure, unnecessary and encourages higher consumption of both bicycle components and food with associated environmental impacts, where do you want to stop with your carbon footprint?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 05 March, 2019, 02:43:34 pm »
as is cycling for pleasure, unnecessary and encourages higher consumption of both bicycle components and food with associated environmental impacts, where do you want to stop with your carbon footprint?

Yes and no. I'm not really eating anything extra to go cycling, I'm burning off the fat I've already created by eating too much. It's also worth noting that most of us aren't powering our riding purely from air freighted asparagus, and thus it's generally a pretty low CO² activity. There is something to be said for the non recyclability of Composites like Carbon Fibre, which is not exactly environmentally friendly, but for most other parts they are recyclable, or can be at least reused.

The only item other than carbon fibre I've not found a clear recycling chain for is my tyres. Dead tubes get repurposed as art, and other items. Chains get re-purposed as jewellery (As featured on last weeks GCN tech show!), cassettes ditto, and I'm looking at seeing if I can recycle these into Damascus too. My bike is steel so at end of life it can be melted down and recycled. Etc...

Bikes are pretty damn green, and given I'm using it for commuting instead of a car, it's very good. *BUT* the points re baby wipes is still valid, esp as they are not necessary to the function of the bike.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #33 on: 05 March, 2019, 03:02:34 pm »
i use a dishwashing brush, apply some degreaser and then turn pedals to rotate casette quickly whilst holding brush against it. No need to piss about taking the cassette off, let alone ultrasonic cleaners.

That would make a right mess of the hallway carpet...

Much easier to take off the cassette and clean it in the sink...

J
I do similar to Hot Flatus - outside my block of flats in the street between the parked cars, then ride to the garage and rinse off with a plain water jet wash, it's a quid well spent.  It doesn't get it ultrasonic clean, but I've never felt the need to and IMO it's vastly superior to filling my flat with white spirit vapours.
For unavoidable indoor cleaning and maintenance, I cut a bit off a roll of polythene dust sheet, 50 meters for a fiver, I can live with the guilt of it not being recycled.

ElyDave

« Reply #34 on: 05 March, 2019, 04:03:16 pm »

Yes and no. I'm not really eating anything extra to go cycling, I'm burning off the fat I've already created by eating too much. It's also worth noting that most of us aren't powering our riding purely from air freighted asparagus, and thus it's generally a pretty low CO² activity. There is something to be said for the non recyclability of Composites like Carbon Fibre, which is not exactly environmentally friendly, but for most other parts they are recyclable, or can be at least reused.

The only item other than carbon fibre I've not found a clear recycling chain for is my tyres. Dead tubes get repurposed as art, and other items. Chains get re-purposed as jewellery (As featured on last weeks GCN tech show!), cassettes ditto, and I'm looking at seeing if I can recycle these into Damascus too. My bike is steel so at end of life it can be melted down and recycled. Etc...

Bikes are pretty damn green, and given I'm using it for commuting instead of a car, it's very good. *BUT* the points re baby wipes is still valid, esp as they are not necessary to the function of the bike.

J

The point is no leisure activity by definition can be environmentally friendly, it is, by definition unnecessary and therefore excess consumption.

Whether you ate the excess food first, during, or after cycling is irrelevant. Can you guarantee your steel framed bike will be recycled using 100% carbon free energy? can you guarantee your tyres etc were sourced sustainably, zero carbon etc - butyl rubber and Kevlar have quite an impact.

You can get anal about this shit, or you can clean your bike

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 05 March, 2019, 04:35:56 pm »

Yes and no. I'm not really eating anything extra to go cycling, I'm burning off the fat I've already created by eating too much. It's also worth noting that most of us aren't powering our riding purely from air freighted asparagus, and thus it's generally a pretty low CO² activity.

I carbon-offset most of my cycling with extra showers.

« Reply #36 on: 05 March, 2019, 04:45:25 pm »

Yes and no. I'm not really eating anything extra to go cycling, I'm burning off the fat I've already created by eating too much. It's also worth noting that most of us aren't powering our riding purely from air freighted asparagus, and thus it's generally a pretty low CO² activity.

Hi Kim. Do the extra showers (water & electric or gas used) really justify the OFFSET ? How do you calculate it to such a fine degree ?   
 Cold showers - maybe !! but I suppose it is what ever floats your boat or sets your toes tingling.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #37 on: 05 March, 2019, 05:45:21 pm »
I carbon offset my cycling but not cleaning my cassette and sometimes by not cleaning the house.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 05 March, 2019, 06:05:32 pm »

Hi Kim. Do the extra showers (water & electric or gas used) really justify the OFFSET ? How do you calculate it to such a fine degree ?

Not even slightly.  I was just demonstrating that whatever carbon emissions I might save by not using a wankpanzer I make up for by running a gas boiler after each ride.  Cycling is less low-carbon that it looks.

ElyDave

« Reply #39 on: 05 March, 2019, 06:21:27 pm »
as long as you don't have a power shower, draw your water from a well, dug by hand (necessity rather than pleasure) and shower under a bucket with holes in, I'll accept a low-carbon argument

« Reply #40 on: 05 March, 2019, 06:23:18 pm »

Not even slightly.  I was just demonstrating that whatever carbon emissions I might save by not using a wankpanzer I make up for by running a gas boiler after each ride.  Cycling is less low-carbon that it looks.
My bold.
I'd be interested to see some stats for that - particularly when you factor in manufacturing costs for the vehicle - be it a bike or a car.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 05 March, 2019, 06:31:44 pm »

My bold.
I'd be interested to see some stats for that - particularly when you factor in manufacturing costs for the vehicle - be it a bike or a car.

Indeed.  (I'm sure you can manufacture a shedload of bicycles for the energy involved in making one wankpanzer.)  It gets even more interesting if you fit an electric motor to the bicycle, which might avoid the need for a shower.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #42 on: 05 March, 2019, 06:33:29 pm »

My bold.

Indeed.  It gets even more interesting if you fit an electric motor to the bicycle and avoid the need for a shower.

Or cycle naked in the rain to kill 2 birds with one stone.....
Regards,

Joergen

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #43 on: 05 March, 2019, 06:37:03 pm »
as long as you don't have a power shower, draw your water from a well, dug by hand (necessity rather than pleasure) and shower under a bucket with holes in, I'll accept a low-carbon argument
Why does this stuff have to be so binary?

The term for this may be "fallacy of perfection", but I've never been good at remembering that stuff.

Look at it another way: it's perfectly sensible to discuss relative eco-impact of different things, without it turning into a war against anyone with a larger carbon footprint than oneself. It's just about gathering/spreading information so that we can make better decisions.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #44 on: 05 March, 2019, 06:39:55 pm »

My bold.

Indeed.  (I'm sure you can manufacture a shedload of bicycles for the energy involved in making one wankpanzer.)  It gets even more interesting if you fit an electric motor to the bicycle, which might avoid the need for a shower.

Oooohhh!
What you call interesting, some might call tricky  ;)

« Reply #45 on: 05 March, 2019, 06:48:26 pm »

It not being clear where to stop doesn’t mean you shouldn’t start. Everything is a trade off between useful function and environmental impact and looking for things where that balance is massively out of whack seems as good a place to start as any.

ElyDave

« Reply #46 on: 05 March, 2019, 10:08:43 pm »
Why does this stuff have to be so binary?

The term for this may be "fallacy of perfection", but I've never been good at remembering that stuff.

Look at it another way: it's perfectly sensible to discuss relative eco-impact of different things, without it turning into a war against anyone with a larger carbon footprint than oneself. It's just about gathering/spreading information so that we can make better decisions.

Why do you have to assume I was being so serious? Rather than trying to shake off the tedium of a really not fun week of work?

You're just being sooooooo binary Matt, I'll remember that one  :P

« Reply #47 on: 06 March, 2019, 12:20:19 am »
An old t-shirt wrapped around a redundant CD to give a bit of rigidity works well for cleaning between sprockets.

A Dire Straits one is best, thereby killing two birds with one stone.   ;)

« Reply #48 on: 06 March, 2019, 08:50:06 am »
Don't bother!

Cassettes (on-road) last a long time.  I can't remember the last time I actually wore one out.  All I do is give it a wipe with a cloth when I change my chain, or flick obvious lumps of dirt off if I see them. 

I find that I have to change cassettes because they have added more sprockets much more often than because they have worn out.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #49 on: 06 March, 2019, 01:43:27 pm »
fwiw baby wipes are an environmental disaster area.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/may/26/disposable-wipes-sewer-toilet-cities-flushable

https://www.romper.com/p/wet-wipes-are-a-huge-environmental-problem-we-need-to-talk-about-it-62558

cheers

I use 3 or 4 to clean a cassette, and I don't flush them down the loo. I doubt that there's much difference between a baby wipe and an old piece of cotton or length of rope.