Author Topic: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light  (Read 102896 times)

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Re: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #250 on: 26 February, 2014, 12:49:09 pm »
The comparison pictures for the the differing B&M lights beam patterns are now up on the website

Thanks for the link.

Andrew

« Reply #251 on: 26 February, 2014, 05:20:08 pm »
If only the Luxos had separated the switch and the USB port. That way I'd keep the switch on the bars and the USB port would be buried in a tribag to keep it safe from the elements.

I have no need to purchase one now (no plans on doing anything more than a 200 this year) so I'll hold out for an improved version in the future.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #252 on: 26 February, 2014, 05:45:14 pm »
Not used the USB function yet, but I'll be trialling it ready for the Scot 1300

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #253 on: 24 March, 2014, 09:15:54 pm »
If only the Luxos had separated the switch and the USB port. That way I'd keep the switch on the bars and the USB port would be buried in a tribag to keep it safe from the elements.

I have no need to purchase one now (no plans on doing anything more than a 200 this year) so I'll hold out for an improved version in the future.

If you had one of the original ones and were good with a soldering iron, I am sure this is eminently possible: it's a four-pole 3.5mm jack, which could be got from Maplin probably, and you could manufacture your own.

TBH I used USB charging extensively all last year with an ultra-short USB cable to my Garmin: I could charge all night even running the light at the same time, so I could keep the backlight on for as long as I wanted.  Really very very good!  I just moved to a bike with different sized wheels (so I can't use the old dyno-hub front) and I miss the simplicity of this solution, and instead have to trail a metre long USB cable from a battery pack in my Carradice along the frame, which isn't nearly as simple, especially as USB isn't a waterproof solution to anything.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #254 on: 12 June, 2014, 06:53:52 am »
Has anyone tried charging an iPhone with one of these lights? I ask cos my 5S only seems to like being charged with genuine Apple kit.

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #255 on: 15 June, 2014, 05:05:02 pm »
According to Peter White cycles it will: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.asp

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #256 on: 15 June, 2014, 05:24:41 pm »
David's iPhone appears to charge on his light.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #257 on: 16 June, 2014, 09:31:20 pm »
I have just discoverd that a Power Gen Mobile Juice Pack 9000 charges my iPhone so I might get one and charge that from the light and then charge me phone from the Juice Pack. Apparently that's a better way to do it cos it protects your phone from power spikes. But this might be nonsense.

« Reply #258 on: 16 June, 2014, 10:50:52 pm »

Errr, couldn't you run a USB cable from the USB port to the tribag and power your goodies in there? I run an Ewerk with exposed USB cables and with a wrap of gaffer tape they remain functional in rain :-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #259 on: 21 July, 2014, 09:46:42 am »
I have decided to upgrade my lighting system.  I already have a SHIMANO DH-3N80 hub dynamo powering a B + M Lumotec IQ Cyo T senso plus 60 lux and it all works fine. 

But I fancy (37)
B + M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U senso plus front headlamp with USB connectionurl] for the USB charging and the extra power at the touch of a button. I'd also like a dynamo powered rear light and spotted [url=http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-toplight-view-brake-plus-dynamo-back-light/aid:703648]this beauty!

My questions to the panel are:

1. Are the new front and rear lights I have selected compatible with my hub dynamo and with each other?  I suspect the answer to both questions is "yes"
2. What wiring do I need to connect everything up?  Rose Bikes offer a confusing selection

Thanks in advance as always  :-*

« Reply #260 on: 21 July, 2014, 10:20:02 am »
Yes, they'll work together - I've got a Luxos and a Line Plus rear, and they're very happy with each other. They don't care which (decent) dynamo they're connected to, and I'm 99% sure1 the Luxos comes with a cable and connectors to power a rear light as well as to hook up to the hub, so you shouldn't need to buy anything else.

The light is better than my previous Cyo, though not really a step change, the USB charging is very nice, but I still haven't quite worked out how to cycle through all the lighting modes and make it do exactly what I want - it still works just fine, and the issue is that I prefer to stab buttons frantically and dismiss the light as having a mind of its own rather than actually read the manual.

I'm not convinced that the brake light function is terribly useful though - drivers don't expect you to have one, and the difference in brightness if the lights are already on isn't that noticeable.

1: I bought it S/H, so although I got packaging and (I think) all the bits, I didn't see it as it came from the factory.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #261 on: 21 July, 2014, 11:44:24 am »
I'm not convinced that the brake light function is terribly useful though - drivers don't expect you to have one, and the difference in brightness if the lights are already on isn't that noticeable.

Thanks for the useful info.  I'm not sure the brake light function is particularly useful either but as it's available I don't see any harm in having it  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #262 on: 21 July, 2014, 12:07:35 pm »

Thanks for the useful info.  I'm not sure the brake light function is particularly useful either but as it's available I don't see any harm in having it  :thumbsup:

+1

I have a brake light that I molished as a quick afternoon programming project on one of my bikes.  I've ridden with people using these B&M lights.

The lights function well enough - although with a deceleration sensor there's always going to be a point where it flickers on and off at pedalling cadence (usually on moderately slow climbs).

Motorists don't seem to notice it.

Cyclists tend to point out that there seems to be a fault with your rear light, and then think it's cool when you explain what it's doing.  Theoretically, it could be useful in a group if the person behind knew to expect it, but they'd notice the gap changing if they were paying attention anyway.

It seems harmless.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #263 on: 21 July, 2014, 12:16:27 pm »
I have ridden with a couple of people who have the Toplight and had to assure both the brake light actually works as of course you'd never know unless you can come up with a clever static test rig. 

The brake light didn't seem to be that noticeable but Toplight View Brake Plus blurb says:

If the speed is reduced significantly and suddenly, the luminous power increases and both light strips begin to pulsate

Which I am hoping makes the brake light function more noticeable.

The new lighting system is part of an upgrade package that will be implemented over the winter so I will let you all know once all the new stuff is fitted.

« Reply #264 on: 03 April, 2015, 09:49:14 pm »
I just fitted (last week) a Luxos U Senso and  Toplight Line Brake Tec to the Pashley. Lovely Lights spent hours making sure the wiring loom was tip top presentation wise and of course correctly connected.
No green indicator. Bugger, what's going on 'ere then?
Check the connections. All good. out with the multi metre, check the runs of my lovingly created loom. All wires good.
Get front wheel off the ground and give it a spin checking for voltage at the rear light terminals of the Luxos. None. FFS gonna have to rip it all off after this weekends 200k and send it back to Germany

Thanks for that Busch&Muller

« Reply #265 on: 04 April, 2015, 09:39:45 pm »
I am going to get the English made Lumicycle brake light, from all reports it is bright (as their other back light, I have one) and works well as a stop light, game on.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #266 on: 07 April, 2015, 04:43:00 pm »
I have the model U light and the extra power front setting is frankly a waste of time.
At low speed the U has a strip of LEDs at the top of the light (facing down) at low speed these light up (and the main beam dims) and enhance the lighting around your front wheel. It works really well and "fades" into the front light as power is transferred from the low speed lights to the main beam.

The power boost simply switches on the low speed lights. So rather than dump the contents of the standlight battery into the main beam to give you a brighter main beam, you just get an additional wash of light around the front wheel.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #267 on: 07 April, 2015, 04:58:08 pm »
I have the model U light and the extra power front setting is frankly a waste of time.
At low speed the U has a strip of LEDs at the top of the light (facing down) at low speed these light up (and the main beam dims) and enhance the lighting around your front wheel. It works really well and "fades" into the front light as power is transferred from the low speed lights to the main beam.

The power boost simply switches on the low speed lights. So rather than dump the contents of the standlight battery into the main beam to give you a brighter main beam, you just get an additional wash of light around the front wheel.

Aha!  It's not just me then!  I think we have the same light, this is mine ...

I never managed to notice the low speed thing.  I agree, the boost function is a waste of time and I have exactly the same experience as you so I don't bother using it.

But, compared with my previous light, a B + M Lumotec IQ Cyo T senso plus 60 lux, the Luxos is much better.  The beam pattern is much more usable and the USB charging capability is extremely handy.

« Reply #268 on: 08 April, 2015, 10:28:04 am »
I've been using the Luxos U for a while now. The first one I had failed quite quickly - it was the original type with the unpluggable USB lead - Rosebikes replaced it promptly without fuss. The replacement has the cable permanently attached so water ingress at the joint shouldn't be an issue.

However, recently, it has started to behave a bit erratically. The function which causes it to change from near-field illumination to 'up the road', which I understand from the 'Germ-lish' instructions is speed related, seems now to operate at random. I suppose it's a subjective thing but I find that when the eyebrow LEDs (which light up the near-field) go out the effect is to make it seem that the light has dimmed. Consequently, just when I need the light the most, when I speed up (which I grant you, doesn't happen that often!) it goes dim.

I know that there is some kind of option to adjust the speed at which the transition occurs - I haven't tried it yet - but I'm wondering if the Luxos is just a bit too clever. I really appreciate the USB power function, which runs my Garmin ad infinitum but if it wasn't for that, I'd be tempted to revert to my Lumicycle which JUST WORKS and which I carry as backup anyway.

« Reply #269 on: 08 April, 2015, 10:57:15 pm »
I'm quite interested in a luxos U. We are one cyo down at the moment, since clarion killed his, with some help from me so we could either pinch one from my orbit, which is laid off at the moment or buy one of us a new light. Do the panel think that it's worth getting a Luxos, or would it be better to get a cyo and some other method of charging the equipment? I like the idea of an all in one unit, but will it manage to do the job?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #270 on: 08 April, 2015, 11:06:17 pm »
I'm quite interested in a luxos U. We are one cyo down at the moment, since clarion killed his, with some help from me so we could either pinch one from my orbit, which is laid off at the moment or buy one of us a new light. Do the panel think that it's worth getting a Luxos, or would it be better to get a cyo and some other method of charging the equipment? I like the idea of an all in one unit, but will it manage to do the job?

I can't offer much as regards charging - I don't charge anything, but I will readily recommend the Cyo Premium.
I'm running it off a bog standard bottle dynamo at the moment, and although the old BD's are not great, I think the light is excellent.
Garry Broad

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #271 on: 08 April, 2015, 11:12:31 pm »
I'd go for the Luxos.  I'm tempted to upgrade to one on the recumbent on the basis of the improved beam width alone (makes a difference when the light doesn't pivot with the steering), and the USB charging would be a good excuse not to actually finish that charger I've half designed.  But the Cyo I've got at the moment works, as does the bulky prototype charger...

I think it comes down to whatever the price differential vs a Cyo Premium currently is getting you a much wider beam and USB charging.  If you want the charging it's a no-brainer.

« Reply #272 on: 10 April, 2015, 01:16:17 pm »
If you don't *need* Super Luxos Beams then why not get an AXA- much cheaper and does charging.
Fugly as sin, but Just Works, with none of the reliability problems Luxos users report.

« Reply #273 on: 10 April, 2015, 02:54:55 pm »
If you don't *need* Super Luxos Beams then why not get an AXA- much cheaper and does charging.
Fugly as sin, but Just Works, with none of the reliability problems Luxos users report.

Ooh, that's a good tip, thanks boab. I might go for that, we have enough bikes that I can always move it on and upgrade if I feel the need. With the Passenger we're not doing a lot of country dark miles at the moment so the Luxos may be overkill, even if it does appeal to my light fetish.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #274 on: 10 April, 2015, 04:20:32 pm »

Ooh, that's a good tip, thanks boab. I might go for that, we have enough bikes that I can always move it on and upgrade if I feel the need. With the Passenger we're not doing a lot of country dark miles at the moment so the Luxos may be overkill, even if it does appeal to my light fetish.

I would still go for the Luxos as the beam pattern is excellent.  That said, there are still occasions where it isn't quite good enough to inspire confidence - descending on narrow lanes and rubbish surfaces etc.   Which is why I also have a Cree T6 XML eBay special ready to turn the night into day.  But, as you say, you're not doing dark country miles at the moment.