Author Topic: Attempted burglary advice please  (Read 3073 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Attempted burglary advice please
« Reply #25 on: 15 June, 2020, 01:23:40 pm »
A colleague gave a simple bit of advice; even if you don't have guns or want to have guns, a shotgun licence is one of the best ways to get police attention to your satisfaction.

ian

« Reply #26 on: 15 June, 2020, 01:51:39 pm »
When a neighbour was burgled the first thing the police asked us for for was any CCTV footage but clearly YMMV.

He says that he showed it to them, but realistically if they don't recognise them, what are they going to do? They don't have CSI-style facial recognition or the resources to wander around putting up Wild West wanted posters. It might help with gaining a conviction – if they find them.

Truth is that the solve rate for burglaries is very low. In Surrey, only 4.9% of burglaries are brought to court. In today's target-driven policing, is it worth investing significant efforts to get that to, say 6 or 7%? No.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #27 on: 15 June, 2020, 04:50:41 pm »
From experience (a long time ago now, thankfully) of having our place done over three times in six months.  The best thing you can do is security mark your property with one of those magic UV pens.

Police never even bothered to investigate our burglaries (I know this as I asked our neighbours after our second and third one and they'd never been contacted by the police - the 'street' only had two houses on it, so not hard to go round and ask if they'd seen anything).

However, we *did* - *eventually* get our stuff back as on a raid of a Fence's house, about 3 years later, there it all was, with my name and postcode on it...

[size=78%] [/size]
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #28 on: 15 June, 2020, 05:46:38 pm »
I've just bought a few flashing led kits[1] as I ran out of effort to build my own. Just need a suitable set of grommets and I can attach one to the new shed, one to the bike bunker and one to storage bit under the stairs.

1. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-FLASHING-LED-LIGHT-DUMMY-SECURITY-CAR-ALARM-Motorbike-BELL-BOX-Switched-AA/264485193367?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #29 on: 30 June, 2020, 10:32:40 am »
I got all my security lights working and fitted an alarm. Its one that makes a noise and hopefully I will sleep better at night.

The alleyway gates are also now re-inforced so that you cant use a credit card to open them (although a half decent lock pick can).

Fencing panels all secure and just debating whether to fit carpet gripper on the inside leading edge, its much cheaper than specific fence stuff.

« Reply #30 on: 05 July, 2020, 08:32:58 am »
Electronic Barking Guard Dog Security Intruder Alarm, Sensor Activated with External Speakers

?

Move Faster and Bake Things