Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255785 times)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #200 on: 04 January, 2012, 06:54:39 pm »
Is there a badge for GdS x5 rides?

Martin

« Reply #201 on: 05 January, 2012, 10:41:51 am »
Is there a badge for GdS x5 rides?

yes; the little one at the top of the page; £2 to you, will bring some to Hills and Mills and the Invicta Grimpeur

Martin

« Reply #202 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:59:04 am »
New webpage here thanks to someone with far more IT savvy than me  :-[

http://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

We have a Royal visitor too  :)

check the gallery

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #203 on: 19 January, 2012, 03:02:46 pm »
We have a Royal visitor
Alas, I fear I am insufficiently familiar with crowned heads. Is it that Pippa Middleton the chav sitting next to me at work talks about so much?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #204 on: 19 January, 2012, 04:06:16 pm »
no it's the current ladies AAA points leader; you get a better class of hill in the SE  :)
(no prizes for correctly identifying the location)

remember you can also use a GPS DIY or ECE starting in the specified counties as a qualifier; provided at least 100km qualifies for AAA

Martin

« Reply #205 on: 08 February, 2012, 01:43:14 pm »
I'm pleased to announce that my GdS eligible new perm The Reliable based on the 65th ESCA RT is available to ride; the easiest of all the GdS with no really bad hills, mostly rolling, the summit is Brightling Observatory

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MM01/

gpx available here (note it starts from either Crowborough station which is not in Crowborough, or Ripe near Lewes)

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/293368

just knocking together a route sheet..

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #206 on: 08 February, 2012, 07:17:25 pm »
looks a cracker, entry will be posted tomorrow.

Martin

« Reply #207 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:44:40 pm »
looks a cracker, entry will be posted tomorrow.

it really is "GdS-lite" as it was intended to be blasted round inna double stylee in 4.00-4.30 (I managed 4.45) but you have a full 10 hrs to enjoy the views  :) and unlike many other GdS it has a long flat recovery phase around Ripe before the hilly but benign last leg

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #208 on: 09 February, 2012, 09:18:59 am »
So with Hills and Mills, Mad Jack's, this and Billy's Hillys, the GdS will be mine once again!

Martin

« Reply #209 on: 14 February, 2012, 10:30:48 pm »
just debuted The Reliable; not as easy as it seemed on paper (or even given the generous AUK time limit compared to the RT version) this may have had something to do with doing an El S 200 perm yesterday  :facepalm:; but the very last climb up and drop into Crowborough is great; some lovely swooping descents on good surfaces all the way round too;

will do a bit of tweaking to avoid more of the A22

bring gears...

« Reply #210 on: 18 February, 2012, 08:04:09 pm »
New webpage here thanks to someone with far more IT savvy than me  :-[

We have a Royal visitor too  :)

check the gallery

Here you go for those that wanted to know the next events in the GDS series,

Cheers Martin for putting this together,

MJ
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Martin

« Reply #211 on: 21 February, 2012, 01:17:21 pm »
will do a bit of tweaking to avoid more of the A22

hey presto; The Reliable now avoids the A22 and also East Hoathly village which was the start / finish of the ESCA RT since about AD987 but served no purpose on this ride (apart from a possible fortifying pint of Fallen Angel for the last stage)

Martin

« Reply #212 on: 06 March, 2012, 09:42:36 pm »
New calendar events The Crown (well a new organiser anyway) and White Hill Grimpeur now added

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #213 on: 07 March, 2012, 11:40:57 am »
Amazing how these rides have become an important part of south-east audax. Loads of rides, loads of chances to get out and do a perm locally when there's no calendar event on.
Nice badge as well  :smug:

Martin

« Reply #214 on: 07 March, 2012, 11:53:12 am »
last chance for the Sussex Corker this year; with two other rides in July (albeit in Kent) it's getting a bit crowded;

anyone want to volunteer for a West Sussex / Hants based perm?

anybody wanting to use the IOW Randonnee as a DIY please PM me for controls

Martin

« Reply #215 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:57:55 pm »
I'm pleased to report that the 2012 Lasham Loop has now been added to the series as a welcome Hampshire event to fill the void left by the Faccombe Haul; and anyone who rode it will be retrospectively credited as a qualifier  :)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #216 on: 02 April, 2012, 09:54:31 am »
Hills and Mills  :thumbsup:
Mad Jacks  :thumbsup:
Invicta Grimpeur  :thumbsup:
Tour of the Sussex Hills  :thumbsup:

One more for the highly coveted 'Grimpeurs du Sud' badge.

Hillbilly

« Reply #217 on: 02 April, 2012, 12:40:16 pm »
One more for the highly coveted 'Grimpeurs du Sud' badge.

The Down to Downs route, available as a permanent, is wonderful at this time of year.  I rode it yesterday and the views of the North Downs and over Ashdown Forest were magnificent.  There is enough greenery to make the scenery feel alive, but not so much foilage on the trees as to obscure the views.

Despite the 1.75AAA it's rather a benign 110km: long, well graded climbs rather than the "short sharp" gradients on some of the other rides you mentioned.  Once you get Toys Hill and Vicarage Lane out of the way in the first 15km, the rest of the climbs are mostly harmless.

Other than a few stretches (the main exclusion being the road to Bough Beech after descending from Ide Hill) the Kent and Sussex road departments have been out and about laying down some lovely tarmac or patching up potholes.  The Ashdown forest roads and the descent to Groombridge, to name two in particular, are much improved in the past 12 months.

The only thing I think could be improved on the route is the short stretch of A21 on top of the North Downs, although this can be avoided by using the cycle path on the south side of the road (or, I suspect, but have not yet checked, by taking a detour on the back roads of Green St Green).

There's a steady flow of entrants to the ride, such that out of every month there is usually a couple of riders who do it, if you prefer to ride in company.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #218 on: 03 April, 2012, 07:12:09 am »
The Down to Downs route, available as a permanent, is wonderful at this time of year.  I rode it yesterday and the views of the North Downs and over Ashdown Forest were magnificent.  There is enough greenery to make the scenery feel alive, but not so much foilage on the trees as to obscure the views.

Sounds great - the others from CC Hackney and I were talking about doing a perm on Sunday

Martin

« Reply #219 on: 03 April, 2012, 08:45:12 pm »
so I presume it's a chapeau to latest GdS Jonah  :thumbsup:

pre-paid (the way to go; don't lose out!) medal will be at the Elenydd  :)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #220 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:23:15 pm »
Hello Martin,

Have I done it?  Does last season's Hengists Hills last count?

best

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #221 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:26:23 pm »
I think I can see what the confusion might be? - my last post was partially quoted from Hillbilly's tips for a perm - I haven't ridden it myself

Martin

« Reply #222 on: 06 April, 2012, 02:22:10 pm »
And yet another Down to Downs today; 1.75AAA from my front door does it get any better?

Ridiculously cold at 0700 when I left home; compounded by the only warm place in the start at Edenbridge (petrol station) being shut; tries the first few hills in the big ring in a vain attempt to warm up. Top Tip; Mc Donalds in Uckfield provides a perfect warm-up stop; otherwise Murco is quick and effective;

did it in reverse which was no easier (although Chuck Hatch seems shorter than Friars Gate) but Ide Hill and Star Hill were less brutal (but longer) than Toys and Brasted; the drag out of Green St Green is fine; the one up to Toys a bit more of a slog (was aiming for a train)

the bluebells are out on Ide Hill and gorse is in bloom on the Forest; now all we need is for some nice organiser to lay it on as a calendar event like last year....

Hillbilly

« Reply #223 on: 07 April, 2012, 07:59:28 am »
the bluebells are out on Ide Hill and gorse is in bloom on the Forest; now all we need is for some nice organiser to lay it on as a calendar event like last year....

It's likely to run as a calendar event in April 2013.  Quaintways tea room closing suggests a tea stop at Bough Beech or thereabouts, but otherwise would be the same as the 2011 edition.

Off to ride the AAA Milne today, having read the article in a recent Arrivee to inspire me  8)

« Reply #224 on: 07 April, 2012, 09:35:45 am »
Essex B all finished, thanks, guys, for towing me round.
<i>Marmite slave</i>