Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255197 times)

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #300 on: 20 August, 2012, 07:07:15 pm »
My first AAA classified event! Was a great ride, and certainly tough. How do you guys think that stacks up to the majority of other 100km rides? Easy/average/hard?

hardest in the South by a long chalk due to the severity and length of some of the climbs. You know it's hard when you look back and think of the zig zag as the easiest climb.

Kidds Toys and the Mid Sussex Olympic should give it a run for its money but still easier

Not sure about that, I think a Mad Jack on a cold day is as equally challenging as a TOTH on a hot day. I would then put the Invicta Grimpeur slightly behind due to be 15/20 km shorter and with a little less climbing.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #301 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:12:57 pm »
Adding Tanhurst Lane - sadly omitted from the new TotH - would make for a special treat.

That was probably the reason it was dropped when Tim reorganised the route.  Unless the local council has "refreshed" it, the road surface is almost all surface and hardly any road. Tractor tyres required.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

Martin

« Reply #302 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:22:32 pm »
I believe we also have our first Grimpeurs du fixee Fixillated and Jonah :thumbsup:

Hillbilly

« Reply #303 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:46:56 pm »
Didn't Werner claim last year?  He did enough D2D and AAA Milne perms to qualify and did it all on fixed.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #304 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:16:17 pm »
hardest 100 in the South by a long chalk

Challenge accepted!

No holds barred...

are you planning a 100 Surrey Hills perm? I'm toying with the idea of a 66km local 1.25AAA one; Ashdown Forest twice but as befits my useless climbing ability nothing too gratuitous

Probably a combination of North Downs (White Lane/Titsey and Chalkpit spring to mind) and Surrey Hills (with the "bridge" between the two via Clandon / Hooley / Chipstead / Epsom / Ranmore Common).  That bridge would include the Whitehill Lane or Hilltop Lane.  Barhatch and Whitedown would by in the Surrey Hills bit, perhaps also with Pitch Hill and probably the obligatory Leith.  Box Hill on the way back.  I've ridden bits of it but never together.  If you get a DIY that covers that territory, you'll know what I'm up to.

My other idea was half a dozen crossings of the North Downs (and Ide and Toys).  Was going to name it "Up N Downs").

Adding Tanhurst Lane - sadly omitted from the new TotH - would make for a special treat.

A special treat? Like the way sharing your bath with a bucketful of electric eels is a special treat?

I thought I was long past the stage where my legs just physically had nothing more left to give going up a hill and even walking it was a struggle. I'll have to look up Tanhurst, is it steep or long or both?
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Hillbilly

« Reply #305 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:33:28 pm »
I'll have to look up Tanhurst, is it steep or long or both?

It's a nasty bastard of a climb.  Like Barhatch with attitude.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #306 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:40:30 pm »
I haven't been up Tanhurst for a while - in fact, being a rather inadequate fixer I've never actually ridden all the way up Tanhurst - but the thing that makes the lane a special treat is not that it is especially long or steep though it is both long and steep enough (20% max?) but the array of booby traps it contains for the unwary. At the bottom it's a fine open rising road then it turns to the right and steepens into a sort of vertical subterranean ditch running with water because there is a spring half way the lane up which has weathered away large large chunks of the tarmac and left what's treacherous and greasy. At this point though you are fully committed, focusing on controlling the bike and threading your way between the stones and potholes which you can now barely see because the tree cover has turned day into night. Alas alack, I inevitably stall on a stone or pothole and then its game over.

I could gear down I guess but where's the fun in that?

Edit: Tanhurst Lane

contango

« Reply #307 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:41:33 pm »
I'll have to look up Tanhurst, is it steep or long or both?

It's a nasty bastard of a climb.  Like Barhatch with attitude.

Is it the one that goes up the same hill as Abinger Lane that was part of TotH this year? Looking at the map (specifically the contours) it looks like it goes up the west side rather than the south side of the hill, presenting a comparable gradient for a comparable distance.

Is there a different Tanhurst, or is there something about the road I'm missing?
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Hillbilly

« Reply #308 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:51:35 pm »
What you are missing is the road surface.  Like the road.  It is an experience. Memorable for all the wrong reasons.

If it ever gets resurfaced it will be not that bad.  Hard but manageable.  At the moment it is unruly: mad, bad and dangerous to know. I descended it on Saturday hoping its 20% slope will have been treated.  It had not, and I was afeared.

Not worth the effort in my opinion.  The other climbs up leith hill (there are essentially 5 other ways up) are better.  One is perhaps tougher than Tanhurst, I think, but benefits from being well surfaced rather than a pitiful neglected track.

contango

« Reply #309 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:56:55 pm »
What you are missing is the road surface.  Like the road.  It is an experience. Memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Ah, that sounds like one I'm glad I avoided. I was a little uneasy with some of the descents on Sunday with patches of gravel in the middle of the road, and the odd patch of mud here and there on bends. Throwing in extra potholes sounds like no fun at all.

Hillbilly

« Reply #310 on: 21 August, 2012, 07:35:54 am »
Yes, I would avoid until it is repaired. It is a potentially nice climb, with a gentle start that eventually gets vertical for the last 1km.  In spring it as peppered wiyth bluebells and there is a copse of rhodedendrons at the top, or at least there used to be.  Getting to the top, one can continue over towards Leith Hill car parks.  This road offers some of the most commanding and uplifting views of the Weald.

If you are in the area and want to do a ride, my Surrey Hills 50 permanent does the area proud.  Whilst there is a suggested route, I've set the minimum speed low enough to allow exploring.  I often riff off the classic route, sticking in random climbs and detours. 

I've got a DIY by GPS 100 that does the 50km anticlockwise and clockwise, that captures some of the better variants.  I'm happy to share. PM me if interested and I'll send a copy by email.

« Reply #311 on: 21 August, 2012, 07:43:18 am »
Didn't Werner claim last year?  He did enough D2D and AAA Milne perms to qualify and did it all on fixed.
Enough to achieve Grimpeur d'Or last season but it took a bit longer to claim  the GdSRTY for fixed.

Martin

« Reply #312 on: 21 August, 2012, 07:56:31 am »
Thinking of a new one for 2013; GdSRRTY

Hillbilly

« Reply #313 on: 21 August, 2012, 09:51:18 am »
Will the madness never cease  :)

I think a RRTY based on hilly 200s in the SE would be a tough gig to complete.  Doesn't appeal to me, but there are some loons out there who relish that kind of thing.

Martin

« Reply #314 on: 21 August, 2012, 01:33:35 pm »
I think we are losing sight a bit of the aims of the GdS

"see the best of the region from the saddle"

whilst the TotH is a good peak season workout it's by no means the most scenic or even rewarding ride in the series, there are plenty of rides which have almost as much climbing with a lot less pain,

My personal and completely unbiased top 10 views (having climbed up) and the best rides to do them in the South are

1. Top of Ide Hill and the other bastard one looking South to Ide Hill (Down to Downs)
2. Ditchling Beacon (Mid Sussex Hiller/ Olympic)
3. Four Counties (AAA Milne)
4. Box Hill (Tour of the Hills)
5. Brightling Observatory (The Reliable)
6. Channel Tunnel and the Channel (The Crown)
7. the view back down from Fairlight (Mad Jack Fuller)
8. Exedown Hill (Invicta Grimpeur)
9. Mayfield from Rotherfield (Hills and Mills)
10. Blackgang looking westwards (IoW Randonnee)

Hillbilly

« Reply #315 on: 21 August, 2012, 03:31:17 pm »
That's a point well made Martin.

Your top 10 is similar to mine, although I am partial to the views travelling north through Knatts Valley on the road to Eynsford.  As riders on the Kidds Toys and the Around Weald will experience on Sunday. It gives great panoramic views of the Thames estuary, with the City standing in the distance; a real life incarnation of the opening credits of Eastenders.

Also the views from Box Hill and Leith Hill of the Mole Valley.

But it is sometimes the unexpected ones that, in the right light or mood, that linger.  Usually with views of hills in the background, and the sun starting to set.  Simple pleasures, such as the descent into the valley after Penshurst on the Down to Downs, or the views to the South Downs on the Reliable.  Or the teasing sight of Ashdown Forest when ascending to the ridge from Friars Gate, which opens out into the views over Four Counties on reaching the T junction at the top of a long, but well graded, climb.

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #316 on: 21 August, 2012, 03:53:21 pm »
... a tough gig to complete.  Doesn't appeal to me, ...

... plenty of rides ... with a lot less pain...

Gents, I wanted to applaud your restraint! (You had me worried!)

Steve (suffering from post-TOTHitis)
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

« Reply #317 on: 21 August, 2012, 08:41:44 pm »
My fantasy GdS ride would include-

Climbs -Chuck Hatch (love the view at the top),a few of the rolling coastal sections from the Crown including the Crete Road East climb and the bit around Dover Castle, Toys Hill from the south, Hogtrough Hill including the long descent after, Star Hill, Willingford Lane,the climb to Goodwood from the Corker, a mid point control on Firle Beacon and the finish on Box Hill so riders can enjoy the view while winding down. 

Descents- Exedown Hill, River Hill, Toys Hill descending northwards, Gangers Hill

and a few scenic undulating sections in between.

Martin

« Reply #318 on: 23 August, 2012, 09:22:03 am »
I am in two minds about whether to permify Kidds Toys, as I would then be offering three 100s, which might be viewed as variations on a theme.  One option I'm toying with is changing the AAA Milne into a 50km ride, to give variety

taking my name then diluting it so it's no longer a GdS; I feel a ceremonial stripping of a GdS medal coming on  ;)

I've got a new 66km 1.25AAA DIY from East Grinstead that will fit the bill nicely, if I make it into a perm I'll call it Forest Fords (it does 3)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #319 on: 26 August, 2012, 08:11:23 pm »
Home from the Kidds Toys 120km - what a great ride! Chapeau to Hillbilly for fitting in so many "interesting" climbs while keeping us almost entirely away from main roads. The good weather meant that The Wall was a Lycra-fest but others such as the gentle ascent out of Under River (northbound) were quiet enough for me to hear my heart rate monitor telling me I was technically in cardiac arrest.

It took me 7 hours and a bit to get around the 120km.  Good luck to all those on the 200 - we'll see them here tomorrow, perhaps  ;)

Great day out - recommended for all of a low geared disposition.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #320 on: 27 August, 2012, 09:04:48 am »
Kidds Toys- Really enjoyed this, the perfect weather made the most of the views and whilst the climbing was challenging it was never over the top. Highlights for me were the view from the top of Ashdown Forest (as always) and the snapshot of London from the heights above Eyrnsford- I always appreciate a good view as it makes the effort of climbing seem worthwhile.

Many thanks to Billy for all his efforts in putting on the rides. 

« Reply #321 on: 27 August, 2012, 02:34:55 pm »
thank you for all the replies regarding the relative difficulty of the TotH ride! I've been AWOL and forgot to check for responses

Hillbilly

« Reply #322 on: 27 August, 2012, 05:23:13 pm »
Did my Kidds Toys today, albeit registered as a DIY by GPS due to the pedantic rule that one cannot be deemed to ride two events on the same day (my organiser ride of the AWE next week will use up that slot).  I thanked the peeps at Groombridge, and they seemed pleased with yesterdays passing trade.  Great little pub/tea room, so am trying to keep in their good books.

On the way back I tried out a different descent off Toys Hill, and turns out it is significantly better than what riders went down yesterday, so that will feature in future editions.

Pity the verges were so overgrown, as it blocked out some of the views.

I had a couple of riders claim Kidds Toys was tougher than TotH.  I suspect it is just different, and depends on your mood on the day.  Nobody would have achieved gold standard if such a thing was awarded on the Kidds Toys, but that might be down to the way in which people controlled (much lingering in Mayfield, other than the riders that got back to Edenbridge first).

« Reply #323 on: 27 August, 2012, 05:59:24 pm »
Was only at the pub for 5 minutes or so, long enough to get a sticker, buy a drink and guzzle it down, but it seemed a really friendly place and not too busy to turn it's nose up at cyclists.

I would say that TOTH is a hilly ride while Kidds Toys is a ride with hills, if you see what I mean. Both offer a challenge but you get to see a whole lot more on Kidds Toys...enjoying the best of the region from the saddle and all that.   

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #324 on: 27 August, 2012, 08:09:07 pm »
Yes - a good pub at Groombridge with very friendly staff.  I spent about half an hour there chatting with the Lewes lads (mainly NOTP) as they lunched and before they suffered a couple of visitations.

Discussing the relative difficulties of TOTH and Kidds Toys with Daniele on the train, although the former seemed harder, both of us took longer to complete the latter   ???  Possibly steeper gradients in Surrey,  meaning slower ascents but faster descents, though there may be other reasons.  Each boasted the obligatory token fixer (Fixilated on TOTH who was on the AWE yesterday, but there was an unknown - to me - rider unwilling to freewheel on KT.)

Both were excellent rides, so very many thanks to Don and Billy for a couple of very fine days out.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.