Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255107 times)

Martin

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #400 on: 22 November, 2012, 12:41:30 pm »
think the last time I went down Cob Lane at this time of year was on an ESCA RT in 2000 (was absolutely filthy) and on the sadly defunct CTC Southern Challenge when it was fine.

Not a direction I normally head as I'm usually heading home in the Turners Hill direction, I think Highbrook is much more in the spirit of a GdS ride, it also holds a special place in my heart as I did 6 DIYs up that road which netted me the required points to land the coveted Michelin Man  :)

Hillbilly

« Reply #401 on: 22 November, 2012, 12:57:23 pm »
Changed the routesheet so it now goes via Highbrook, as it makes little difference to the distance or climb.

Martin

« Reply #402 on: 22 November, 2012, 01:06:17 pm »
Changed the routesheet so it now goes via Highbrook, as it makes little difference to the distance or climb.

I think AWE missed the scarecrows in Motts Mill (they were in abundance a few weeks later)
but Highbrook also puts on a nice show of these once a year,

from the summit there's an open gate into a field that affords a commanding view of the Bluebell Railway's engines working hard on their way to (eventually next year) East Grinstead

Hillbilly

« Reply #403 on: 22 November, 2012, 01:14:16 pm »
hoping to do AAA Milne Saturday which will complete my Generic GdS (5 of each perm in a year)

I have something lined up for the weekend that's door-to-door (Surrey Hillier + some roads to get me over towards Box Hill).  If I manage it, I'll then only have 2 more GdS rides to do for my 5xGdS (having got 1xGds in 2010 and so far having done 17 GdS eligible rides this year). It's been a good bit of motivation to aim for this by Xmas.

It's looking like a bit of a rough weekend though.  Trying to decide whether I want to get wet (Saturday), blown about (Sunday) or both (Saturday and Sunday, using one of my 100s for the second day).   As mentioned, others will be out and about doing a 200km grimpeur in the region.  Kind of illustrates how flexible grimping in the  SE can be these days, largely inspired by those bonny wee medals.

Martin

« Reply #404 on: 22 November, 2012, 01:57:29 pm »
hoping to do AAA Milne Saturday which will complete my Generic GdS (5 of each perm in a year)

I have something lined up for the weekend that's door-to-door (Surrey Hillier + some roads to get me over towards Box Hill).  If I manage it, I'll then only have 2 more GdS rides to do for my 5xGdS (having got 1xGds in 2010 and so far having done 17 GdS eligible rides this year

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that  :( the GdS x 5 badge was originally intended for completing 3 years of the award but to keep in with the five-ness of it all it's for 5 years, you are allowed to double up (ie 10+10+5) but no more than 10 in a year.

Hillbilly

« Reply #405 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:00:11 pm »
Och.  I'll need to wait ages for the gold badge.  A whole extra 3 months  :smug:

Martin

« Reply #406 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:05:18 pm »
Och.  I'll need to wait ages for the gold badge.  A whole extra 3 months  :smug:

3 months to do 10 GdS in 2013?

does that include the 6 weeks left of the old year?  ;)

Hillbilly

« Reply #407 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:21:11 pm »
I should will (let's be positive) have the object of my desire by the time the clocks go forward.

Hillbilly

« Reply #408 on: 23 November, 2012, 02:01:16 pm »
AAA Milne Imperial is now accepting entries.  2,700m of climbing over 162km of roads.

The route is designed to showcase the Ashdown Forest (two climbs; one via Chuck Hatch and one via Kidds Hill).  It also has the rollercoaster road from Ardingly to Balcombe, and an ascent of Toys Hill.  The latter is put in, as I want you to survey all you have (or will, depending on where the ride starts) conquered on the route with views over large swathes of the Weald from the National Trust maintained well on Puddledock Lane.

A good "step up" from 100km grimpeurs towards 200km, and beyond, that will be well within the abilities of anyone who has completed the AAA Milne metric century.

Martin

« Reply #409 on: 23 November, 2012, 03:55:26 pm »
probably before your time but the CTC used to organise a Southern Challenge ride from East Grinstead (85 110 and 150km IIRC) the longest version was very similar to the Imperial, but stayed no further North than Cowden and used Friars Gate instead of Chuck Hatch for the 2nd ascent of Ashdown Forest before heading down Nursery Lane and out towards Wadhurst (Best Beech Lane?)

apparently it was in response to a CTC meeting about the Phil and Friends ride at which Keith "Surrey League" Butler was present, somebody said "of course Keith you could organise something similar down South, shame you don't have any hills".....

« Reply #410 on: 23 November, 2012, 07:33:10 pm »
The AAA Imperial looks excellent - I'll send of an entry next week and look to ride over the next few weeks!

Martin

« Reply #411 on: 24 November, 2012, 02:36:00 pm »
the metric AAA Milne was quite enough today thanks very much, not sure why it feels harder than Down to Downs it's about the same climbing. A few skoggy lanes but generall very well surfaced; just a bloody grim day; not helped by riding in a jacket fasioned from Oasis

I believe some more foolhardy souls are taking on a bigger GdS fish today  :o

Hillbilly

« Reply #412 on: 24 November, 2012, 04:01:04 pm »
Today wasn't too bad.  The lanes in the Surrey Hills had minor flooding in places, but nothing that a bit of care picking through the rougher bits couldn't take care of.  Might be worse tomorrow, but the forecast is currently putting me off doing a ride - might take the opportunity to hunker down and rest up.

Yes, three people are out on the road for the AWE.  The wind was picking up as I got home around 20 mins ago, and is forecast to gust this evening.  I hope they get around before it gets too wild, or at the very least that it is a tailwind.

Martin

« Reply #413 on: 28 November, 2012, 01:29:27 pm »
Chapeau to Grimpeuse du Sud #5 Mrs BlackSheep :thumbsup:

Mrs Blacksheep

« Reply #414 on: 28 November, 2012, 07:51:16 pm »
Yipeeeee - once given the AAA-OK for distance and AAA's.  I will then have the last piece to my jigsaw
and have a shinney red Gds badge.  It's already pinned to my saddle bag, but my bike now does not move
for the next 2 weeks.  Good job I washed it :).

If you get invite to lap-dancing parties from BlackSheep whilst I'm away do let me know!!!!!  :)

Mrs BlackSheep

Martin

« Reply #415 on: 28 November, 2012, 08:47:05 pm »
Yipeeeee - once given the AAA-OK for distance and AAA's.  I will then have the last piece to my jigsaw
and have a shinney red Gds badge.

it passes muster on my GdS-o-meter  :thumbsup:

Hillbilly

« Reply #416 on: 29 November, 2012, 03:43:17 pm »
the metric AAA Milne was quite enough today thanks very much, not sure why it feels harder than Down to Downs it's about the same climbing.

It's because the climb for both events is based upon the shortest route between the controls.  The Down to Downs pretty much lies on the shortest route (the main deviations making little or no difference to the climb) whereas the AAA Milne does not, if you follow the routesheet (and the deviations add a fair chunk of sapping climbs).  Putting in an info control at High Hurstwood (as per the Imperial) would increase the AAA claim.

I rode the AAA Milne today and, due to time, followed the original route rather than the route sheet.  The original route was shorter and had less climb (reason why I suggested a diversion via High Hurstwood was to avoid a stretch of the A26 which requires turning right over the traffic flow towards Jarvis Brook).  I actually found it slightly easier than D2D, perhaps because the same climb is over a slightly longer course (or perhaps because I am getting lighter and fitter).

Getting through the metric AAA Milne cards nicely, with a few entries coming in from locals wanting to keep things ticking over the winter months.  At this rate they will be gone by spring/summer: when the last one is bought no new entries would be accepted but all cards in circulation would be validated if done by the end of September 2013 (those left out there at the end of the season will get a "free" swap for any of my other events).  To be fair to people who may want to ride it, I am rationing the metric cards to 2 per rider over 2012/13.

Martin

« Reply #417 on: 29 November, 2012, 04:01:44 pm »
I like the new metric AAA Milne route between the top of Kidds Hill and Mayfield but I've never used it (apart from on the Kidds Toys route) as I don't mind the old route even though it's identical to Hills and Mills

on a complete tangent and related to the other thread, I was sent a long list of hilly sportive rides in the SE each with climbing from a gpx, not one qualified for AAA...

Hillbilly

« Reply #418 on: 30 November, 2012, 06:57:29 pm »
In that case, its probably physiology.  As I say, I find the AAA Milne, Reliable and Sussex Hills relatively easy rides compared to Kidds Toys and Down to Downs.  That I'm removing the AAA Milne might suggest a masochistic streak, which makes sense (why else would I favour hilly events in general?)

Martin

« Reply #419 on: 30 November, 2012, 09:55:57 pm »
Reliable less so (Palesgate Lane at the start and Burgh Hill being the only two that will possibly have you out of the saddle) but your other two have two very significant climbs apiece; D2D has long steady climbs to match AAA Milne's little lumps

I look forward to the 300km Oddyssey with glee; I'll be missing the Elenydd for it...

Hillbilly

« Reply #420 on: 30 November, 2012, 10:07:34 pm »
Have you *seen* the Odyssey route  :demon:

I was thinking of running it as a group perm btw.  Uckfield start, as the route goes there twice.

Anyhoo.  To sleep. AWE for me the morrow.  Hopefully a 6am start.  Brrr.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #421 on: 30 November, 2012, 10:11:20 pm »
I like AAA Milne and it's a shame it is disappearing. It and the D2D make very nice winter days out.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #422 on: 30 November, 2012, 10:15:22 pm »
I like AAA Milne and it's a shame it is disappearing.

not on my watch (and you were the first to ride it) it's my name and I'll take it back if need be even if a different route :)

Hillbilly

« Reply #423 on: 01 December, 2012, 05:05:46 am »
I should have mentioned that I was going to drop the word "imperial" when the 100km ride goes.

Having reflected whilst on the AWE today, I've decided I will brand the imperial as something different, so that "AAA Milne" will become free to be used for another event when the metric is removed from the record.

Hillbilly

« Reply #424 on: 01 December, 2012, 08:19:29 pm »
Today I learned AWE is a tricky 200 when ice is a threat, although I suspect any route in the area would have been challenging today.  The sodden ground was releasing water onto roads, which in turn was freezing early on.  Nice day though, once the sun cut through the fog.  Intermittently sunny, and only a couple of passing showers.  Lucky really, even if I did have a slow speed sidewards slide into the grime when coming off the North Downs at 8am.  That apart, enjoyable.

Tried out a couple of minor route variations, some of which will go into both the permanent and the calendar event as they are simply better.  Sionara Newick Lane.  Sionara Brighttling to Burwash laney rollercoaster.