Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255395 times)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #425 on: 01 December, 2012, 08:24:51 pm »
I like AAA Milne and it's a shame it is disappearing.

not on my watch (and you were the first to ride it) it's my name and I'll take it back if need be even if a different route :)
Well hurrah!
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #426 on: 01 December, 2012, 11:58:32 pm »
I'll be working on creating a new 100k AAA Milne perm once Billy stops his event;

will need to look at what Billy's new routes offer and try to offer something using all new roads (to AUK)

« Reply #427 on: 02 December, 2012, 08:46:00 am »
Ah ha, and here's two events all ready to rock and roll my dear Gds'ers-

Hills and Mills 102 km 19th January 2013 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-77/

Mad Jacks JSM 120 km 16th February 2013- http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-85/

Route sheets ready to download, both events limited to 50 riders, entries starting to roll in, so when they are gone there gone my friends.

GPX files from 2012 now obsolete for both events, as new Cafe controls, thanks El for all your mobile controls especially on all thirteen Mad Jacks  :thumbsup:

New GPX files added thanks mmmmartin your hired! And Ian H  :thumbsup:

Hills and Mills- http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1963484

Mad Jacks John Seviour Memorial- http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1963485

Plus you can click the GPS link on the calendar pages above

Updated route sheets, -  as there is a new Mini roundabout going in that effects both events, they have taken a month to do not a lot with it!

Andy

Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Martin

« Reply #428 on: 02 December, 2012, 05:54:58 pm »
I've knocked up a 102km route for the new AAA Milne; starts from (quelle surprise!) East Grinstead with controls at Groombridge, Lindfield and Ansty plus unspecified infos. Gives you a good taste of Ashdown Forest using only one of Billy's old climbs (Friars Gate; my fave). Best news is no real hard climbs of note just constant up down up after you leave the Forest

I'm confident it will make at least 1.75AAA as I rode a 66km version as a DIY several times for 1.25

It's similar to a ride I used to do before I got into this Audax lark; that was called Wealden Ridge Mountain Blues

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #429 on: 02 December, 2012, 06:14:14 pm »
GPS validation?

Hillbilly

« Reply #430 on: 02 December, 2012, 06:18:45 pm »
AAA Milne Imperial has been renamed "Sussexy Beast".

Martin

« Reply #431 on: 02 December, 2012, 06:45:48 pm »
GPS validation?

of course  :) I'm one of the "Hallowed Few"

AAA Milne Imperial has been renamed "Sussexy Beast".

Like it  :thumbsup:

« Reply #432 on: 04 December, 2012, 08:37:24 pm »
Hi all. I've made some (possibly foolish) plans to attempt the GdS in 2013. I've done a few audaxes, up to a 300, but have generally shyed away from the AAA events, although I do enjoy a bit of climbing.

My parents live in Burwash so I'll be trying to put in some miles over the christmas period along some of the East Sussex hills. As an added challenge, I was planning on doing them all fixed. I've been doing distance rides fixed for a fair while, although I don't think I've covered territory quite as hilly as many of the GdS routes.  I noticed some fixed gear riders have completed the GdS before, and was wondering what gear choice they'd made? I've always been a proponent of 65", which I've found fairly versatile.

Anyway, if you see a new face struggling on fixed in the new year, that'll be me...

Martin

« Reply #433 on: 04 December, 2012, 08:41:07 pm »
welcome CB  :) I'll look out for you at the control before watching you go up Kidds Hill (that'll be The Wall to sportive riders) on Hills and Mills

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #434 on: 04 December, 2012, 08:42:38 pm »
A post on here might produce a few companions for a ride over christmas.
look at martin's the reliable, i think it goes your way.
and obv hills and mills and mad jacks if you can get back to stay at burwash.
mad jacks is without doubt the toughest ride in the south of england and if you can cope with that, no audax holds any fear for you.

Hillbilly

« Reply #435 on: 04 December, 2012, 08:52:04 pm »
Sussexy Beast (162km - 2,750m of climb) and Around Weald Expedition (215km - 3,500m of climb) both go that way kind of way, assuming permanent events are of interest.  Wadhurst, in particular, is a possible start location.

The Down to Downs is relatively fixed wheel friendly, with quite a few completions on t'cog.  You'd need to get over to Uckfield though, which might be the closest possible start location.

As for gearing, you'll need to be able to cope with gradients of 14% or thereabouts on most GdS events.  Some climbs are steeper (20% or more) but with planning can be avoided, if necessary.

« Reply #436 on: 04 December, 2012, 09:24:12 pm »
Thanks all. I'd planned on doing a couple of perms such as the D2D and The Reliable as well as some of the shorter events at the beginning of the year. I'll have to see how the winter training goes before I commit to the hilly 200s...

Hillbilly

« Reply #437 on: 04 December, 2012, 09:30:05 pm »
The Around Weald is running as a calendar event on 7 July, so plenty of time to get prepared for it  O:-)

« Reply #438 on: 05 December, 2012, 01:23:57 pm »
Ah ha, and here's two events all ready to rock and roll my dear Gds'ers-

Hills and Mills 102 km 19th January 2013 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-77/

Mad Jacks JSM 120 km 16th February 2013- http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-85/

Route sheets ready to download, both events limited to 50 riders, entries starting to roll in, so when they are gone there gone my friends.

GPX files from 2012 now obsolete for both events, as new Cafe controls, thanks El for all your mobile controls especially on all thirteen Mad Jacks  :thumbsup:

New GPX files added thanks mmmmartin your hired! And Ian H  :thumbsup:

Hills and Mills- http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1963484

Mad Jacks John Seviour Memorial- http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1963485

Plus you can click the GPS link on the calendar pages above

Updated route sheets, -  as there is a new Mini roundabout going in that effects both events, they have taken a month to do not a lot with it!

Andy

Welcome CB,

Hills and Mills calender event go's through Burwash Weald. 1.75AAA.

Mad Jacks calender event goes through the western outskirts of Burwash, 2.5AAA, both events start in Hailsham see above^

Martin

« Reply #439 on: 10 December, 2012, 10:36:28 pm »
The 2013 calendar Reliable is now open for entries; I'm sure £2 including a hot dog is a typo, better enter soon before it gets corrected  ;)

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-571/

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #440 on: 11 December, 2012, 10:27:12 am »
I'm in.

« Reply #441 on: 20 December, 2012, 10:31:57 pm »
Sir,

Is there a list of events for the 2013 GDS series on here somewhere  :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #442 on: 21 December, 2012, 10:22:38 am »
Sir,

Is there a list of events for the 2013 GDS series on here somewhere  :thumbsup:

ish....

http://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

Hillbilly

« Reply #443 on: 21 December, 2012, 11:21:09 am »
Wasn't there a running list earlier in this thread? <edit: reply 386 is latest>

« Reply #444 on: 21 December, 2012, 08:41:58 pm »
[ps I've been asked by another organiser if anyone has any calendar dates for next year that have not as yet gone up in the calendar. Remember the 2013 season is 1 Jan to 31 Dec

so far we have

19.1.13 Hills and Mills
16.2.13 Mad Jack John Seviour Memorial
9.3.13 Lasham Loop
17.3.13 Invicta Grimpeur
14.4.13 Hell of the Sussex Coastal Hills
21.4.13 Box Hill Hillbilly hillies
25.5.13 The Reliable
7.7.13 Around Weald Expedition (200) and Kidds Toys (120)
28.7.13 Forts and Ferries
18.8.13 Tour of the Hills
5.10.13 The AAAnfractuous (200)
19.10.13 Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier

Is this the one..  ;D

And the list of perms-

Martin

« Reply #445 on: 21 December, 2012, 09:54:33 pm »
perms are

Down to Downs 100
AAA Milne (old) 100
Sussexy Beast 160
Around Weald Expedition 200

thru Hillbilly

and

The Reliable 100
AAA Milne (new) 100 in progress

thru me

plus DIYs Surrey Secrets and IOW through me and err Manotea

Hillbilly

« Reply #446 on: 26 December, 2012, 06:33:17 pm »
Anyone doing rides in the Surrey Hills should check local flooding reports.  Whilst not as high profile as the South West (understandably), there are particular points under water in the South East.  The top of White Down Lane (on way UP to Ranmore Common) had an abandoned car, but the hollow was being drained (slurped?) by the council/a contractor (but couldn't really see the point, due to the forecast for heavy rain late pm, which turned out to be spot on).  I managed to push through, but it was one of those "please don't get any higher" moments, when you have to put a little bit of effort into it due to the "drag".  I had thought the "Police - road closed" at the bottom of the climb was in place because of the Boxing Day shooting (favour to aristos shooting at pheasants - felt like a war zone, spent most of the climb in an aero tuck "just in case") but turned out it was for the flooding.

Shudder to think what Ashdown is like, particularly if it got the same heavy rain I was entertained with at 2pm onwards.  The ford on the way to Fairwap was ok, but some of the brooks a bit agitated when I was out on Xmas Eve.  Some of the fields in the Low Weald between Lingfield and Edenbridge were at a tipping point when I passed the other day.

Thankfully, at some point, this post will become a relic of historical interest only, frozen in time.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #447 on: 26 December, 2012, 07:30:33 pm »
Shudder to think what Ashdown is like
Many thanks, I was wondering this myself, went for a walk there yesterday and it was astonishing how much water was running down even steep banks, you would have thought it would have drained by then.
Thankfully, at some point, this post will become a relic of historical interest only, frozen in time.
Cometh the hour, cometh the man. I was thinking of riding AAA Milne tomorrow, but have seen the forecast of six hours of heavy rain. This is a most timely post. More beer for me tonight and no alarm in the morning. :thumbsup:
Alas my aim of riding AAA Milne and The Reliable before midnight on December 31 looks slightly less likely now. ::-)

Martin

« Reply #448 on: 26 December, 2012, 07:40:01 pm »
Alas my aim of riding AAA Milne and The Reliable before midnight on December 31 looks slightly less likely now. ::-)

no problem! I've decided (for no good reason) to ride the "Festive Five GdS" over the 2 weeks, 3 down 2 to go
Down to Downs Reliable AAA Milne New AAA Milne Surrey Secrets

AAA Milne was a joy today; reversed it as it may be the only chance before it gets recycled as a gangster ride. Used a couple of Billy's previous diversions, the original route never used along Sham Farm Lane near Eridge and also the Around Weald entrance to Mayfield.

Rain arrived exactly as scheduled at 13.50, didn't enjoy seeing the outskirts of Crowborough inna uphill stylee. And had a long overdue blat down Kidds Hill (don't think any rides do this; I certainly wouldn't send a calendar event down it) before the heavens truly opened at Forest Row with a damp 6k home

Hillbilly

« Reply #449 on: 26 December, 2012, 08:43:53 pm »
The heavy rain does, however, have the advantage that it is giving the lanes a right good wash.  Some lanes that are usually a bit of an adventure were actually rather pleasant today.  Not Hoe Lane/Raikes Lane though, that was still like the Mud Monster had decided to barf up its festive lunch all over them.  And then gone back to lay a top coat of Mud Monster scat  ;)

It was also rather jovial being out at a time when the rest of the country is generally nursing hangovers, and those that were out seemed to have some lingering festive spirit.  And for a bonus, the Box Hill servery was open for double espresso and bread pudding refuel. Down side of that, though, is that I'll need to tweak the answer to one of my info questions on the Surrey Hills perm...