Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255016 times)

Hillbilly

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #525 on: 07 May, 2013, 01:20:42 pm »
Did the AAA Milne (or AAA Malins as I called my RideWithGPS file) on the weekend just gone by. 

Wonderful use of the Ashdown Forest, perhaps the best I have experienced on an audax event.  Made me rather envious as a route setter, with a journey through Pooh's stomping ground that is worthy of the reference to his creator. 

I can do nothing other than recommend a trip to East Grinstead for the simple pleasure of (getting out of there as quickly as possible and then) riding a bike in lovely countryside.

Martin

« Reply #526 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:05:27 pm »
I can do nothing other than recommend a trip to East Grinstead for the simple pleasure of (getting out of there as quickly as possible and then) riding a bike in lovely countryside.

harrumph!

the madness continues with a new award Grimpeurs des Etoiles; 5 rides mostly in darkness which I completed on the above ride last night. Good lights essential but you will be rewarded with Ashdown Forest at its nocturnal best (as I rolled into Forest Row I was treated to a whole family of deer complete with two extreme young 'uns crossing the road)

I believe a GdS SR is imminent too (not me!)

Martin

« Reply #527 on: 22 May, 2013, 04:15:08 pm »
and more;

I just completed 5 rides in as many days; GdS dos a dos
(sits back and waits to be beaten; multiple rides on one day count but 200s which my first was only count as one ride)

Hillbilly

« Reply #528 on: 16 June, 2013, 04:45:33 pm »
I believe a GdS SR is imminent too (not me!)

Only the 600 to go...

(The 400 has been one of the hardest rides I've done to date.  Thank god I slotted in a flattish night section to Seaford).

« Reply #529 on: 05 July, 2013, 02:08:26 pm »

Why start a new thread when you exhume a perfectly good old one?

Just a reminder that the Crown will take place on the 14th July from Kennington/Ashford. Route sheet will be going out shortly, but there is still time to enter before next weekend.

Paul

Hillbilly

« Reply #530 on: 10 July, 2013, 05:42:18 pm »
Having decided to focus on offering Randonneur events in the South East rather than Populaires (and partly in reaction to the introduction of PayPal for perms) I am looking for new organisers to take over the following well used permanent events in the South East:

Surrey Hills 50 (Dorking - Cranleigh controls)
Down to Downs 100 (Edenbridge - Green St Green - Langton Green - Uckfield controls)
Sussexy Beast 160 (Oxted - Uckfield - Balcombe - Wadhurst controls)

The latter two events are GdS eligible.  Each receives a steady number of entries every year (20 as a rule of thumb) and tend to have their "regulars" who will ride them, erm, regularly.  The 50km ride attracts local riders dipping their toe into the AAA water to test the temperature (as well as being a "banker" for the AAARTY), the Down to Downs gets the widest range of entrants, whereas the Sussexy Beast is - anecdotally - taken up more as a stepping stone to a 200.

If you are interested in taking these permanent events over from 1 October 2013, please PM me.  If a new organiser does not come forward, they will disappear from the perm listing from that date.

Martin

« Reply #531 on: 11 July, 2013, 10:52:34 pm »
I've marked Billy's excellent Meridian Hills 3.5AAA 200 as a calendar event on Sat 5th July 2014

almost the same as the perm version but an East Grinstead start / finish and a slightly shorter section in Brighton. Similar catering arrangements to the Around Weald Expedition with an alfresco lunch in Mayfield and a pub finish.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #532 on: 12 July, 2013, 10:39:24 am »
from 1 October 2013, please PM me.  If a new organiser does not come forward, they will disappear from the perm listing from that date.
In that case zi ought to ride the Down to Downs and use up that brevet sitting in the drawer....
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Hillbilly

« Reply #533 on: 13 July, 2013, 05:18:01 am »
*gulp*

5am: Oh well, here goes.  GdS 600 attempt #1. Officially nervous about the next 40hrs...

10am: 100k at Seaford.  Placcid Channel with Seven Sisters looking to the East.  Great ride so far.

3pm:  200k at Herstmonceux.  Scorchio but glad to be in Weald with its tree cover.  Coast at Bexhill was heaving with sizzling Brits.  Summer anyone?  Flat bits running out - venturing northwards...

Halfway point.  Subdued sunset over Ashdown Forest.  Sixhours until sleep... 

0245. At home after 400km.  Tough so far.  Hopeefukky 4 hrs sleep will recover my legs.

8am.  Here we go again.

500km - everything hurts and the world is on fire.

8pm ish: ta da. GDS SR #1 done.  Hard.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #534 on: 13 July, 2013, 07:35:45 am »
Bonne courage Monsieur!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Hillbilly

« Reply #535 on: 14 July, 2013, 08:20:45 pm »
Veni vidi vici.

Martin

« Reply #536 on: 14 July, 2013, 09:08:57 pm »
I am not worthy  :thumbsup:

a fantastic achievement and you have  created a new GdS award GsSSR

a very hot and bothered weekend but I managed 400km and 7AAA in 3 rides; topped off with a Hurricane display over Ardingly

the SE is the plAAAce to be!

aregister

• On entre OK, on sort KO
« Reply #537 on: 15 July, 2013, 10:52:40 am »

Just a reminder that the Crown will take place on the 14th July from Kennington/Ashford. Route sheet will be going out shortly, but there is still time to enter before next weekend.

Paul

Thanks very much to Paul and family and other helpers for another great edition of The Crown!
Looking forward to PatC's Forts and Ferries in 2 weeks.

« Reply #538 on: 15 July, 2013, 12:53:56 pm »

Paul

Thanks very much to Paul and family and other helpers for another great edition of The Crown!
Looking forward to PatC's Forts and Ferries in 2 weeks.

Thanks to Paul and all the helpers on The Crown, good to see some of the usual faces and also a few Audax newbies on the ride.

Wasn't as hot as I thought it might be possibly due to a nice cooling breeze off the Channel although it did seem to heat up on the return leg once we'd come away from the coast. 

aregister

• On entre OK, on sort KO
« Reply #539 on: 15 July, 2013, 12:59:30 pm »
Wasn't as hot as I thought it might be possibly due to a nice cooling breeze off the Channel although it did seem to heat up on the return leg once we'd come away from the coast.
Even Daniele - a native of Sicily - thought Kingsmill Down was hot on that return leg.

« Reply #540 on: 15 July, 2013, 10:31:53 pm »
Yes Pat - I think the car was showing 21 degrees when I left the St. Margarets control, but by the time I was in Kennington it was 26.5. I also suspect that the wind had swung from NE to SE putting it in your face for a bit on the way  home as well.

Thanks for your support everyone, I won't make the F&F as I will only just be back from the US, but maybe see you at the ToH.

Paul.

p.s. and a few select photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/39575473@N02/sets/72157634655766392/

Martin

« Reply #541 on: 03 August, 2013, 01:11:05 pm »
My (as Hillbilly calls it) cycling Groundhog Day continued with a 32rd ride round the new AAA Milne route today, I've ridden it forwards and reverse many times morning noon and night but today I did a new twist which was to reverse just the Eastern loop; climbing up Chuck Hatch and descending Friars Gate to Groombridge before heading up to "the most commanding view in the South" from the Wych Cross road;

I was planning a farewell ride to the old Hillbilly version some time before Sept 15th if anyone's interested in making a day of it? otherwise it will be a lonely night-time plod probably followed by a trip to a local A/E  ::-)

« Reply #542 on: 03 August, 2013, 04:58:33 pm »
I was planning a farewell ride to the old Hillbilly version some time before Sept 15th if anyone's interested in making a day of it? otherwise it will be a lonely night-time plod probably followed by a trip to a local A/E  ::-)

I do have a card for the old AAA Milne but am unlikely to use it before the cut off date. I'm quite happy to send it to anyone if anyone wants it.   

Hillbilly

« Reply #543 on: 05 August, 2013, 06:35:37 pm »
I have two cards at home in the unlikely event that there is a surge of interest in riding the old aaa milne (in lower case to suggest its inferiority to the AAA Malins).

I can't ride it before 1 October, due to other aaaspirations.

(As for my other populaires, I've had interest expressed in taking on the Surrey Hills and Down to Downs, so it is likely these will live on in some form.  The Sussexy Beast hasn't attracted interest from others, so may wither and die).

« Reply #544 on: 13 August, 2013, 10:30:04 pm »
With the new season a few weeks away, it is time to set goals. With this year being a wash out for me, no GdS, Essex SR or LEL, due to reasons beyond my control.I am keen to start off with a GdS. So are any dates set yet??

Martin

« Reply #545 on: 14 August, 2013, 11:17:10 am »
With the new season a few weeks away, it is time to set goals. With this year being a wash out for me, no GdS, Essex SR or LEL, due to reasons beyond my control.I am keen to start off with a GdS. So are any dates set yet??

not many definite dates but assuming next year's events go ahead as per this year expect

Jan Hills and Mills
Feb Mad Jack John Seviour Memorial
Mar Invicta Grimpeur / Lasham loop
April Supremo's South Coast
May IOW Randonnee
July (5th definite date) Meridian Hills 200 and The Crown
August Tour of the Hills
September Hengist's Hills
October Mid Sussex Hilly / Hillier

« Reply #546 on: 14 August, 2013, 11:21:00 am »
Many thanks I will pencil them in. I am doing this years tour if the hills this Sunday. I am off down the shops for a new pair if legs (climbers)

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #547 on: 14 August, 2013, 11:43:40 am »

not many definite dates but assuming next year's events go ahead as per this year expect

Jan Hills and Mills
May IOW Randonnee
August Tour of the Hills

30th November 2013 - Whitchurch Winter Wind-down
</shameless plug>
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

« Reply #548 on: 14 August, 2013, 12:43:30 pm »

Jan Hills and Mills
May IOW Randonnee
August Tour of the Hills

</shameless plug>

Also on my list.. Now

Martin

« Reply #549 on: 14 August, 2013, 01:05:36 pm »
</shameless plug>

Also on my list.. Now
[/quote]

+1; one of my favourite routes even better ECE'd to 200  :)